Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1964 19' Globetrotter
Centerville , Utah
Question Actual Length

Does anyone know the actual length of a new 19' Bambi? I know it's listed in the lit at 19'2", but I'm talking from hitch to back bumper. I'm considering, once I purchase one (still looking), of building a garage to store it in. Good idea? Bad idea? What does everyone do with theirs all winter? Also, does anyone know the ground clearance on a Bambi? There's a favorite place above Cedar City, Utah that we spend time at in the summer and it's a fairly rough road, lot of large rocks that you have to rollover, etc. Has anyone ever messed with the springs to create more ground clearance? A 'jacked up Bambi' if you will. ;o)
Old 08-20-2003, 12:36 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
New Bambis don't have springs. There are no mods that I know of that will adjust the torsen axles.

I'll measure mine when I see it next and let you know the total length and ground clearance.

A bit off topic, but if you are intersted in a Bambi, I may be trading mine in the late fall, early winter. If I do, I would consider selling it at a price less than is being asked for on most of the on rv ads. Best part is that the unit still is under warranty for a year from the middle of this coming February. The only real soild issue with it right now is that the furnace will not light. It needs a new or adjustment to the ignitor. There are also a few fit and finish issues, but nothing above or beyond what has been posted about the new ones being sold in 2004. I care for the unit like it was a child. Think I've washed and Walberized it at least 4 times since March.

No dings, dents, etc. Very clean used about 6 times with less than 2,000 miles on the coach.

PM me off line if you're interested.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
19'2" is hitch (tongue) to back bumper. I have taken my Bambi onto fairly rough dirt roads, but not where I had to roll over rocks, just ruts and dips.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Wink

The ground clearance on a Bambi ('02) varies, but the lowest points are: the sewer tube canister (10"), the black/grey tank drain plumbing behind the streetside rear wheel (9"), the spare tire (9 1/2") and last but not least, the shock absorber brackets (7 1/2"). IMHO, off-road would indeed be a risk . . . Hell, driving over a curb could be costly!
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1964 19' Globetrotter
Centerville , Utah
Thanks guys! I appreciate your responses. The road I was going to take the future "Stormy Weather" down is out of the question.