Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Question Olympic Peninsula

Hello Airstreamers! Total Noob here. Retired in December, flew to Washington and bought a sweet 01 Safari 25 SS from a very nice guy in Port Townsend, Wa. Having it upgraded and checked out thoroughly by a reputable RV service outfit in Port Hadlock. Wife finishes work here in Long Beach, Ca. Today. End of week we head back up there to Port Townsend and start our adventure! Starting in Port Townsend, we plan to work our way west through Sequim, Port Angeles and then south on the 101 and PCH back south to Ca. with stops along the Ca. coast to see all the things I never had time to see in the 27 years I've lived in the L.A. area. Then heading east and who knows where. No where to go but everywhere! Any advice on the coast route southbound from Wa. to Or. and Ca. ? Roads, campgrounds, don't miss type stuff? Looking forward to meeting other Airstreamers along the way!
wlbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Even though I am an Easterner I have managed to make that trip twice in our Airstream and most parts of it several times in a rental car. No specific advise except to enjoy it. I love every part of that trip down the coast. You could spend a long time at it if you have the time. With the morning fogs it often takes a couple of days at each stop to really see it. If you like to eat out prepare to gain a little weight.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! The search function above and to the right works fairly well, if you use the lower Google search box in the drop down menu. There are earlier threads like "Oregon coast" or "California coast" so if you try those as search terms you may fine lots of interesting info, in addition to the replies here.

For instance on Oregon Coast:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ast&gsc.page=1

Have a great trip!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Congratulations, and welcome! Sonnys in Port Hadlock does good work. Let me know when you're back here, maybe we can meet up.

If you're heading west and south on 101, Salt Creek is one of our favorites. It can be a good base for exploring Sol Duc Hot Springs, Hurricane Ridge, Neah Bay. Take a day trip on the Coho to Victoria BC.

Kalaloch Campground on the ocean is great, as is South Beach Campground.

The weather this time of year is often less than ideal, but there's lots to see and do, and the campgrounds are not too full.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Welcome to the air forums Wlbeen. Looks like you are off to a good start to your retired life.

Here is a link to a sort of travel log I posted over on a favorite car forum.
Of a trip up the coast to the Olympic Pen. Then back down the coast to Monterey for car week there.

Lots of friendly chatter and car related stuff to skim thru, but persist to find trip related content too.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...g-911-tow.html

Hope your travels in the area are as fun for you too!

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Another PTer

Seems there are more AS owners here in Port Townsend than I knew!
I would echo the advice on Salt Creek and Kalalochand would add Cape Disappointment SP - all are great! Further south South Beach SP (Newport, OR) and Washburne SP ( north of Florence) and Honeyman (south of Florence, and in the sand dunes) are nice.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Seattle , Washington
Sonny's is where I have her. Gary Jensen, the owner is an encyplopedia of RV knowledge with 35 years in the biz. I'm having them upgrade the batteries, install an outlet for my CPAP and repacking the wheel bearings, re-doing the brakes. Also, before we leave his lot, they will do a de-winterize and safety and readiness inspection. Great shop, reasonable prices. So looking forward to getting back up there. Beautiful place. I would enjoy meeting you and other 'Streamers in Port Townsend. We are going to full time it for a while and see the country, but the Olympic area is very appealing for us, so may end up there.
wlbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sounds like an great find and an excellent adventure! We had a wonderful time traveling down Route 101 from Astoria almost all the way to San Francisco. It's a wonderful drive, and we're a little envious.

Oh, you may also want to have them double-check for leaks and re-seal all the seams with Acryl-R, just to be sure.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
on't miss

The have to do is the Avenue of the Giants Redwoods and Highway 1 to the South of there. With all the rain wash outs this year, check with the Highway Patrol before you try it.

The try to bypass area is the coast above and below Portland around a weekend or holiday if you do not like crowds. The Columbia river is well worth a drive. We also liked Crater Lake, but the rim road does not open until later in the year. Put it on your future todo list.

We liked the inland areas in Western Washington better than the coast. Mostly we got tired of the rain, but you may like that type of weather.

HW 101 is a nice drive down, but try a few side trips as well. One of the fun things to do is discuss RV parks with the folks you meet when you stop. Sometimes you get very good recommendations.

Good luck with your trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
One of my favorite Oregon State Parks is Cape Blanco. Great base for exploring the southern Oregon coast on your way to California.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Live fairly close, but haven't made it there yet.

I want to meet the Kettles.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Another vote for Cape Disappointment State Park in Wa as well as Cape Blanco in OR. I would also add Cape Lookout in OR. And another second on the Redwoods.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Live fairly close, but haven't made it there yet.

I want to meet the Kettles.
This is the place. The Bishop family sued the author claiming she based the characters on them. They lost. The family is still there and they have a beautiful Organic Valley dairy farm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	279942  
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote