Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
OK! Here's our tentative route

We're doing the fast route to Wisconsin, via 80 East. A stop in Reno, (of course, so my husband can win some spending money), through Utah, to Wyoming, then Nebraska, Iowa, a shortcut through Minnesota, then we're there, to Hillsboro, WI. It's not the exact city where the trailer is, but I want to keep the owner's location a tad private.

Any suggestions on what to stop and see on the road? I realize this isn't the scenic route really, or the most interesting one...it's the practical one...but then, I just want to give my trailer a hug finally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	6737  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Ingrid,

Wow!

You are certainly taking the most direct route.

From SLC on, you are going to need something to keep you busy (even though you will get a respite in western WY and Lincoln, NE). Don't forget to experience the feedlots in NE and IA (trust me, you'll know when you are near one - breathe deep!)... I've done the I80 trip across WY, NE, and IA before... "Uff da", pretty long! I once averaged 85 MPH from Sterling, CO to Omaha on I80 on my Harley. You'll make good time.

Maybe you can do something more fun on the way home... Camp!

Congrats on the delivery of your new bundle of joy! Very exciting!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:59 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i know but i ain't telling!

ingrid

Quote:
It's not the exact city where the trailer is, but I want to keep the owner's location a tad private.
i know where it is hiding! but i aint telling!

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tradewind hiding.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	6740  
Old 05-23-2004, 07:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Is there any way you can spend another day and head up through the Black Hills and see Custer state park, Mt Rushmore and the Badlands. Its well worth a trip just to go there and back, more than worth it if you are on the way to Chicago anyway
-Andrew
amfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Since you are traveling I80 through Wyoming, you might take the scenic byway just south of Laramie through the Snowy Mountains. This will put you up about 9-10,000 feet with beautiful vistas, snowy caps, and alpine lakes. It won't eat much of your road time (maybe a couple of hours), but will give you that "Ah-h-h" feeling to practice before you see your new beauty! Just a suggestion, but I think you would enjoy it if you like the high mountains or haven't been in them. Such a secretyou are keeping! We're all waiting for the pics
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
chuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
ingrid
i know where it is hiding! but i aint telling!
john
LOL

Peek-a-boo!!

ingrid
Old 05-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Ingrid,

I can give you a campground recommendation. If you get tired around Lincoln, Nebraska, stop at Camp-A-Way Campground. It's right off I80 but is a beautiful, quiet campground (think fireflies, grass, trees) with the nicest owners.

If you have time, drop down from I80 at Salt Lake or Wendover and take US 50. It takes a little longer but I love that drive. They call it the "world's loniest road" but it's not. Try it.

Have fun!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 03:50 PM   #8
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
A few years ago, my wife and I camped in Ogagala(?), Nebraska on our way home from a big camping trip. The campground was flat and rather uninteresting, but a good stop-over. Just up the road from the campground was one of the most incredible places to eat called Juney May's.

We had dinner there: BBQ Ribs, unbelievable fried chicken, and I don't even ussually like fried chicken! We also got the last piece of June's choclate cake.

We went back for breakfast less than twelve hours later, around when they opened at 7:00AM for their cinnamon rolls, eggs and more. Unbelievable!

Ogagala is in the pan-handle part of NE, so it looks like you might pass around that way.

Jonathan
Old 05-23-2004, 04:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Jonathan, was Juney May's a hole-in-the-wall, rustic, dark kind of place in town, but with incredible food? If so, that is where we stopped in Ogalalla also. We still talk about it when we head West, but between the two of us, we forgot the name of the place. That reminds me that I need to get a new journal to put in the AS so that I have somewhere to jot down all that "trivia" that is REALLY important later when you want to return or tell someone else about it! I have a journal of about 18 years of camping, but it's filled and I've just not jotted down trips during the past two summers. Trip J's are really fun to read back over when you get cabin fever in January! My trip J was also the tool I used to learn to pack minimally instead of for a major move! I listed all I packed (clothes, kitchen, food, etc), and then on the way home, I listed all we actually used. What a lesson! I recommend this for everyone who has never done it.
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 05-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #10
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Maxandgeorgia.

Yes, Juney Mays was/is a little hole in the wall place that seems to cater mostly locals. I believe it had a gravel parking area. There were less than a dozen tables in the place.

We were chatting with the owners, and it turns out they were from San Francisco, and decided to open this place up. The co-owner took me out to see the smoker, which was a big upright Oklahoma-Joe, which is now new Braunfils.

My wife and I are going to try to do a better job at keeping journals, as we are now getting one camp ground mixed up with other places. Old age at 48 I guess.

Jonathan
Old 05-24-2004, 08:52 AM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Oh, and the campground was called the Lake McConaughy St. Rec. Area...

Jonathan
Old 05-24-2004, 02:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
This is getting more exciting by the minute! I'm taking notes.

ingrid

ingrid
Old 05-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I'm a little bit jealous! I want to take my trips and everybody else's too. Does that mean I really want to be on the road full timing???
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 05-24-2004, 02:45 PM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Lake McConnaugy was where my husband and son stopped after picking up our trailer in Canada. They thought it was quite nice, altho be sure to have the bug spray (the mosquitoes were OUT and the WEST NILE is definitely something to watch out for!!!

PS Also, I think, somewhere around there is the big Cabelas Sporting Goods store. The men just LOVE that place.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Wisconsin

I think you will go right past the "House on the Rock" in Baraboo, Wisconsin. Always a great place to stop and look. If you want a little more life than somebody's excentric life you can stop at the Wisconsin Dells and take a Duck ride. Truely one of life's greater experiences. One thing is for certain you are going to see some of God's most beautiful country in Wisconsin. When you are there be sure to pick up some fresh cheese curds. You'll know their fresh because they squeek on your teeth when you bite into them.

We lived in Wisconsin for 14 years in a prior life. Both of our children were born there.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I'm a little bit jealous! I want to take my trips and everybody else's too. Does that mean I really want to be on the road full timing???

Not really, just on a caravan. It it is a trip you enjoy with others seeing the sights as you go! Full timing is a bit of a different lifestyle. We found that we tended to stay in one place for a while before moving. On a caravan you can be left yearning for more time, so a second trip is sometimes in order.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
PS Also, I think, somewhere around there is the big Cabelas Sporting Goods store. The men just LOVE that place.
Cabela's is in Sydney, Nebraska...it is pretty cool.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
2 good all day stops in mid-Nebraska are the Stuhr Museum in Grand Island and Pioneer Village in Minden (just off I 80). If you just want to stretch your legs and kill a few hours, and get a good meal, stop at the arch in Kearney, and eat at Whiskey Creek, about 5 min N off the highway.

You Juney Mae lovers might want to give Ole's Big Game Bar in Paxton a try next time: http://www.olesbiggame.com/ You've got to drive into town (Paxton's pretty small though), and don't get the Bar confused with the gas station/rv park just off the interstate: http://www.olesbiggame.com/rvpark.htm Although it looks like a swell place to overnite.

Wish I was going with you, it makes me homesick - I grew up in Cozad. They are filming a movie there right now called "Independence", which will probably be out sometime next summer.

The Keep Nebraska for Nebraskans Committee would like to remind everyone to keep their heads and hands inside their vehicles at all times, don't stray off the interstate, only stop for gas and snacks, and continue to believe that NE is flat, windy, boring, and of no importance. Whatsoever. That is all, Good bye.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:42 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There is another Cabela's in Dundee, Michigan. Place is huge. Something for the folks out East, that are going to the International.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

I would agree with maxandgeorgia on the side trip through the Snowy Mt. Range. just outside Centennial WY would be worth the extra time if you have it. ...hiking from 10,000' to 14,000' on trails laid out and made by the CCC & camp in the National Forest campground there if needed.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote