Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
When you are there be sure to pick up some fresh cheese curds. You'll know their fresh because they squeek on your teeth when you bite into them.
We lived in Wisconsin for 14 years in a prior life. Both of our children were born there.
Good luck
Well I'm one of those sort of brainwashed Californians that believes that this is the best place to live, etc. etc. but we're isolated from everybody by mountains or ocean, so the "word" that there are other beautiful places doesn't get through to us easily. I'm looking forward to a ride through the countryside and breathing fresh air for a change.

There's a pretty funny TV ad campaign in California about how our cheese is better than Wisconsin's because our cows are happy cows, etc. There's one where these two bulls are standing there ogling other cows walking by, "Hey, woohooo! Do you work out?"

I'll just have to see for myself!

Keep writing everyone, this thread is definitely printout material.

i.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Snowy Range

maxandgeorgia and zamboni are DEAD ON about taking 130 across the Snowies.

[URL=http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2054/]

The only way I can convey how beautiful they are is to tell you that my husband and I camped all over the US for a year and the place we always return is the Snowies (went there for Valentine's day this year!).

Our goal is to be campground hosts at Sugarloaf Campground up there, at 11,000 feet.

Connie
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Connie, good luck at 11,000 feet! We spent the night in the Snowies at an elevation around 9800' and didn't do so well. Just up the road from Centennial, we found an old lodge and cabins site that had once been a University Field Study center (I've forgotten the details) but the lodge had just been reopenned as a restaurant and a few cabins had been renovated, so we elected to stay in one. (Realize, many of the old cabins had returned to the forest floor, leaning, decaying--really showing that time had passed it by.) We found the place delightful, but the altitude had us swimming! We felt pretty light headed and didn't move very fast, but the strangest was when I'd find myself waking up in the middle of the night, gasping! Anyway, we thought this range was beautiful. Our son and his family went back a year or two ago panning for gold and camped way back in. Remembering the Snowies always reminds me of Matt Shepherd and how his last views were looking out over this range that he loved. Well, off topic again. Breathe well and enjoy
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:08 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I'm looking forward to a ride through the countryside and breathing fresh air for a change.
There's a pretty funny TV ad campaign in California about how our cheese is better than Wisconsin's because our cows are happy cows, etc. I'll just have to see for myself!
Keep writing everyone, this thread is definitely printout material. i.
Are the cows happy because all the carbon monoxide in the smog is making them loopy?
I don't know if you all are drinking folks, but you could probably tour a couple of breweries in Wisconsin, if any are open for tours the days you are there.
Umm, JohnHD will probably know the names and locations and hours of operation, if you ask him real nice, he may tell you.
Good luck on your trip.
Terry
Old 05-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
hey pinky!
a slight correction to a previous post....house on the rock is well worth it and you can spend almost a whole day there...also frank loyd wrights taliesin is in the area, in spring green, NOT baraboo.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I'm a wine drinker, husband is a drinker of very cheap american beer. Drives my german father crazy, but it's just the way he is. Grew up on Schlitz and Rainier.

But ach ja, die kase, voll gut! I'll definitely try some. We're leaving June 10th now!

I'm a little bit jealous! I want to take my trips and everybody else's too. Does that mean I really want to be on the road full timing???

I don't know about the jealous part...no trailer remember, and on the way home, it's too dirty to camp in. See photos...

ingrid
Old 05-25-2004, 08:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
well, the skin looks good...and i do like the throne next to the refrigerator....saves steps....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 05-25-2004, 11:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
you airstreamers. Gotta see the good in everything.

ingrid
Old 05-26-2004, 12:19 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
return route?

Hi Ingrid,

What route are you taking back? When I went out for mine in April I came back on I90 for variety - it's not that much longer if you find a sensible route back down (it runs across further north). Maybe an extra day. But the scenery is different and really interesting - it takes you through the Plains, by the Badlands and into the Black Hills, which are really pretty. At that point you can angle back down through Wyoming to pickup I80, or go on to beautiful Montana and eventually come down through Idaho.

Then again, you may want to get it back as quickly as possible and return on I80...but...ugh...both ways?...

-john
Old 05-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
hi pinky!
check this out
www.houseontherock.com there is also some good links there....
norby

Old 05-26-2004, 09:14 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

swimming in the Snowies

maxandgeorgia,

Yeah, your head really swims up there! I would wake up in the morning and be too tired to roll off my air mattress! But in a couple of days you feel better and can breathe again.

After spending some time there we went down to Zion and took a ranger hike. That canyon is at about 8000 ft and everybody else was staggering around and gasping for air but we were like gazelles!

ooooooh, the Snowies!

Connie (displaced, somehow wound up in NC!)
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_safari
Hi Ingrid,

Then again, you may want to get it back as quickly as possible and return on I80...but...ugh...both ways?...

-john
Right now, I80 both ways sounds like the best because it's direct, but I'm betting while we're in Wisconsin I can change my husband's mind and try a new route.

I'm posting while on the road, so you'll all be the lucky recipients of my rants and raves through the trip. I'm putting up a website, I'll announce it....

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'd have to find some leftover Vicodin for the trip back on 80, it worked great on a 14 hour flight to Hong Kong once. It was over in 20 minutes, and I barely remember sobbing at the in-flight cartoon!

i.

ingrid