Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
North Dakota, Here We Come!

Lucy's 2020 epic journey will be a cross country run from Cody, Wyoming to Lubec, Maine. After the 2019 Alaska run, we have opted for a shorter trek in miles but not longevity. We plan to be on the road around 90 days.

A portion of our journey will be through North Dakota. We are looking for input form the Airforums members as to the sights to see and places to visit in North Dakota. We are tentatively planning on running along the Border, but will dip down as necessary to see something interesting. As a young man, I spent three years working in North Dakota, and traveled the State extensively, but this was 45+ years ago. I guess that I would like to see how it has changed and revisit my youth.

We would also be interested in campground recommendations.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Western Minnesota and North Dakota are beautiful expanses of prairie, as I recall.

Very reminiscent of “Little House”.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
North of Rugby ND (geographic center of North America) on the US Canada boarder is the International Peace Garden. It is a wonderful place to spend a couple of days and visit the gardens and the green house cactus collection. There is also a statue in the fountain that was placed there by the WB club paid totally by donations raised.

https://peacegarden.com/

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Williston, ND has some unique places to see if you like local history museums. From there go over to Minot. Harvest Host location at the aviation museum on the airport if you are an HH member. Minot has an interesting park, the Scandinavian Heritage Park. Then go further north for ND Rt 5 along the border and hit the International Peace Park as previously mentioned.

Then you could jump to Canadian side through Winnipeg and points east into Maine.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are rumbling around near Minot (and / or part of HH) the air museum there has an astonishing lot of operational P-51's ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
I will occasionally relax in my easy-chair by pulling out my tablet and looking for campgrounds I'd like to visit. I mark them on Google Maps with a yellow star. The process is to look for lakes or other attractions, zoom in until I see a 'green space', then focus on that and see what it is. If its a campground, I decide if I want to mark it. We've used this map a lot in the areas we travel to make travel itineraries.

Since one of my bucket list trips is a round-the-U.S tour when I retire, I've marked quite a few along the U.S/Canada border. I've attached that segment of the map below.

I recognize that these are not actual location recommendations for you, but I'll just comment that I mostly mark state/provincial campgrounds, or boondocking sites. I would be glad to send you more info on any particular location if you like. I can't wait for another trip with "the girls"!

So many campgrounds - so little time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campgrounds Dakota to Nova Scotia.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	357572  
Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Two places to avoid: Wall Drug Store and Deadwood
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Wall drug and Deadwood are in South Dakota
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Crazy Horse

How far of a detour south is within your consideration?

The reason I ask is because I found it interesting one of the V-BLOGS highlighted the Crazy Horse Monument as one of their most enjoyable places to see.

And to try to get there before they close access to the top which they made sound like an up coming limitation.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #10

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mason , Texas
Nd

Lewis & Clark followed the Missouri River from south central to the northwest corner of ND. Highway follows both sides—one going west and the other returning for L&C. Decent state roads and numerous sites along the way. You can pick up the trail in MT if that works for your routing.
DASDAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Albertville , Minnesota
You probably will be taking Hwy 2 across. It doesn't run right at the border but the farthest North Main Highway. You will go through Minot, due north and a little east at the Border are the Turtle Mountains. Not much as far as mountains go but it's king of a cool spot. Also Teddy Roosevelt Park on the west end of the state is a must see.
Good luck!
Dkoelfgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
Followed route 2 accross from international Falls to Seattle best pzrt of trip North Dakota , Montana. Great people fair roads, and lot to see. We did blow a trailer tire east of Shelby MT.
Received great service from Marks tire service at 7 pm Friday evening. Note a good city park in Selby. Further had to make repairs temporary to the was water tank drains from a shop in Conrad MT.

Loved the Crazy Horse monument in South Dakota. Total 10556 miles one blown tire would like to do route 2 again
engineshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Vonore , Tennessee
And

Medora — touristy and fun and Theodore Roosevelt National Park and Badlands. Southwest corner basically though.
I second the mention of the Scandinavian Park in Minot. And if you’ve not been in one, go into a Scheels Sporting Good’s — in many places.
Laurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Godfrey , Illinois

A couple years back we stayed at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch in Butte ND. It was one of our most memorable stops on a long trip. They had a team calf roping competition going on that weekend. It was great fun to watch. The restaurant there was excellent. The campground itself was nothing special but the total experience was unforgettable.
Relaytest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASDAS View Post
Lewis & Clark followed the Missouri River from south central to the northwest corner of ND. Highway follows both sides—one going west and the other returning for L&C. Decent state roads and numerous sites along the way. You can pick up the trail in MT if that works for your routing.
Hi

Well ..... if we now are into Lewis and Clark / Montana. They stopped for the winter at Three Forks ( = headwaters of the Missouri). There's a couple of reasons to stop there as well:

1) Lewis & Clark Caverns SP, a nice place to camp and the caverns are interesting.

2) Seems like a popular place to fish

3) Wheat Montana, a good stop for a cinnamon roll.

4) The restaurant at the hotel in town has a great couple of steaks on the menu. Best Bison I've had in a long time. Not cheap ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Godfrey , Illinois

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaytest View Post
A couple years back we stayed at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch in Butte ND. It was one of our most memorable stops on a long trip. They had a team calf roping competition going on that weekend. It was great fun to watch. The restaurant there was excellent. The campground itself was nothing special but the total experience was unforgettable.
Make that Sentinel Butte, ND.
Relaytest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Lucy's 2020 epic journey will be a cross country run from Cody, Wyoming to Lubec, Maine. After the 2019 Alaska run, we have opted for a shorter trek in miles but not longevity. We plan to be on the road around 90 days.

A portion of our journey will be through North Dakota. We are looking for input form the Airforums members as to the sights to see and places to visit in North Dakota. We are tentatively planning on running along the Border, but will dip down as necessary to see something interesting. As a young man, I spent three years working in North Dakota, and traveled the State extensively, but this was 45+ years ago. I guess that I would like to see how it has changed and revisit my youth.

We would also be interested in campground recommendations.

Brian

[ATTACH]
Must see this show we stayed in Medora Campground. We purchased the dinner and show and was not disappointed. Then see the NP great area.
In Lubec we stayed at Sunset RV park. Only 17 sites must have reservations. Drive to Campobello Canada see FDRs summer home. Have tea with Eleanor is a must. Then is light house in Quoddy Head State Park. Go the Eastport and eat lobster roll on the dock little cafe there on the dock severs great lobster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1164.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	357634  
Old 12-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
[ATTACH]
Must see this show we stayed in Medora Campground. We purchased the dinner and show and was not disappointed. Then see the NP great area.
In Lubec we stayed at Sunset RV park. Only 17 sites must have reservations. Drive to Campobello Canada see FDRs summer home. Have tea with Eleanor is a must. Then is light house in Quoddy Head State Park. Go the Eastport and eat lobster roll on the dock little cafe there on the dock severs great lobster
Agree with all the above.

We missed the tea with Eleanor, but I did get to play a round of golf in Campobello. The campground in Lubec will also provide you with all the things you need to cook a lobster dinner. All you need is the lobster and some butter. They provide the pot, burner, propane and the serving stuff.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2013 27' Flying Cloud
El Prado , New Mexico
I second the motion for Medora and the Theodore Roosevelt National Park, both sections. We were there in theFall, after the tourists had left, and the foliage was spectacular along the Little Missouri and the adjoining drainages. We also stayed at Buffalo Gap, near Medora, and I enjoyed several days of Sharptail Grouse hunting in that beautiful countryside.
Allons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Medora, ND, the Badlands, is a must. The Steak Fondue and Musical Review are both well worth the money. There is an RV Park (forgot the name) within walking distance (if you’re a walker) of downtown. Both parts, North and south, of Theodore Roosevelt National Park are amazing.