Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Oregon here we come!

Howard and I are planning a trip to Oregon. We are staying a couple of nights in Bend, OR. Deschutes Brewery here we come! I believe on the way back to Colorado we will try the KOA in Sisters.

From Bend we are heading to Winchester Bay with reservations at The Marina RV Resort. The last leg of our trip will be spent at Beverly Beach – State Park.

I would love to hear from folks that would like to share what sights to see in these places. We have taken two previous trips to Oregon – the first starting North and traveling South and the second starting South and traveling North. Of course this was prior to our AS purchase and pretty rushed, which is not how we enjoy traveling. We did however enjoy the Oregon State Parks and their Yurts.

We are looking forward to spending time in our AS and in the beautiful state of Oregon! So let us know what we should sure make a point to see! Thanks!

Sheila
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
You'll love Sisters!

My sister and her husband live just outside of Sisters, I love that area.
Check out the local news paper at www.nuggetnews.com

Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I 've lived in Oregon 57 years. When you head Back you realy should come up the north Umpqua river(thats the one that runs out at winchester) And is the hyway (138) that goes to Crater Lake. On your way up 138 you will find a multitude of camp grounds. Some overnighters and some day camps. the North Umqua is a very beutiful river and an excelent steelhead river to. What ever you do Have fun and enjoy our wonderfull climate.

Eschew Obfuscation
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:54 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Lots to enjoy out here. We just spent the weekend at Newberry Crater near LaPine Oregon, just south of Bend. It is in the Newberry National Volcanic Monument (I think that's what it's called), and there are lava flows, caves, lakes, and a very memorable drive up 7000+ ft Paulina Peak to a spectacular 360 degree view of the area. We also enjoyed the High Desert Museum, just south of Bend.

I tell everyone if they come to the area to be sure and see Mt St Helens in SW Washington if they haven't done so yet. It's a little out of the way, but it's really worth spending a day on. You'll never see anything else quite like it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
It's all pretty. If you get to the coastal area at the mouth of the Rogue river at Gold Beach you should take the Jet Boat 120 mile round trip up the Rogue. It's great scenery, wildlife and last year I saw an Airstream boondocking on a gravel bar with fishing poles in the water. Made me want to swim to shore.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

You're off to a great start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSong
Howard and I are planning a trip to Oregon. We are staying a couple of nights in Bend, OR. Deschutes Brewery here we come! I believe on the way back to Colorado we will try the KOA in Sisters.

From Bend we are heading to Winchester Bay with reservations at The Marina RV Resort. The last leg of our trip will be spent at Beverly Beach – State Park.Sheila
Sheila - You and Howard are my kind of people - Deschutes Brewery as an Oregon destination! Awesome. I lived in Newport for a few years (south of Beverly Beach) and worked at Canyon Way Bookstore and Restaurant. I highly recommend it for shopping and for food. You may also want to hit Rogue Brewery in South Beach - you know, in keeping with the brewery theme .

Unfortunately, I've only done limited camping in Oregon but one of my favorite places is on the Metolius (Camp Sherman), just up the road from Sisters.

Enjoy your stay. It's been hot here so Beverly Beach will be a nice change.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Sheila/Howard!

Please post a full report on your return so we can hear of your Oregon experience!

I want to visit Oregon badly - especially the areas you are planning... Tied up at the moment - anxious to get going on the road again.

Do tell!!!

Have a great trip.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Oh Oregon!!

My wife and I have traveled the northern coast of Oregon and I can't begin to describe its beauty and wonder. We usually stay in Cannon Beach and travel north to Astoria or south to below Newport. We've been in the Canyon Way bookstore a number of times. We also enjoyed our day trip up the Columbia River Gorge to the town of Mt. Hood. Here's a few photos just to whet your appetite.

The top photo is from Ecola State Park just north of Cannon Beach. The second is of the Gorge looking upriver.

FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ecola.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	8382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gorge.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	8383  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:55 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Be sure to visit the forums own campcollector at Beverly Beach - he is a park ranger type and has recently restored a new AS that had a tree fall on it. Beverly beach is great - head for the spaces on the back loops - they are more isolated and nice and shady.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
We, too, will look forward to your postings after you return. We have Oregon at the top of our list of places to visit w/our Argosy. My husband got a chance to visit Portland and see some college friends, but I was not on the trip. All he talked about when he got back was "beautiful Oregon"!! Since we too live in Colorado, would like to hear about your route and if you liked the places you stop. Details and pictures!!!!! Please.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
off the beaten path

If you have the chance, take 242 from Sisters down to Belknap Springs, you go through gorgeous scenery - lava fields, lush forest, etc. Belknap Springs is a great place to stay or camp, right on the river with hot springs. Then down 126 to Eugene, along the McKenzie River.

You might try to hit Wallowa Lake and the Eagle Cap Wilderness in the NE corner of the state, not too far north east of I84 at La Grande. Amazing mtns and a gorgeous lake, although a bit crowded on wknds.

And if you prefer uncrowded, the mtns of Eastern Oregon, accessible west of I84 are very pretty, unpopulated, and smell of sage, juniper and pinon pine. It is heavenly up there and rarely crowded like the Cascades. You might consider taking hwy 7 to 26, through John Day to get to Bend - a pretty drive.

-john
Old 08-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
What a great travelogue! Oregon is one of our planned destinations too, so I'm taking this all in, adding it to our travel plans collection. Sounds like you'll have a wonderful trip. Remember, we'll be waiting for the report
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
I live in Bend, about 4 blocks from the Deschutes Brewery. Sisters KOA is OK, right on the Highway. If you are looking for less commercialized camping,it is plentiful. Sparks Lake (30 miles from Bend) on the Cascade Lakes highway is one of my favorites, primitive sites that are big enough for you. The campground is on the edge of a meadow with a lake and big mtns in your face. Also try Tumalo State Park (halfway between Bend and Sisters) Its right on the Deschutes river with full hookups, I think a better option than KOA. Hwy 242 is great but leave the trailer at the campground, it is limited to vehicle combos of 35 feet and trailers are not advised, tough switchbacks.

3 other breweries in Bend beyond Deschutes, Silver Moon (really a supply store with beer on tap), Cascade Lakes Brewery (new kid) and Bend Brewing Company (BBC). Cheap beer nights are - Deschutes - Monday, BBC - Tuesday, Cascade Lakes Wednesday.

Recreation and entertainment are unlimited in Bend a good resource is visitbend.com, local paper bendbulletin.com, weekly entertainment rag - tsweekly.com

All the recomendations from others are good. The Metolius especially is a good one that is over looked. The worst route you pick will still be great.

Happy to provide more info,

Mike
bikrmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
one other mention that is close to Bend and overlooked is Smith Rock State Park (day use only, 20 miles from Bend) great scenery and a world class rock climbing area.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
I live in Newport

I live in newport and there is so much to do here here is my favorite list of Spots.
1. Devils punch bowl just north of beverly beach
a. Mo's for lunch
b. Low tide take in the marine gardens trail is at the north end of the public parking area. not visited by hoards of people.
2. Bay Front just below canyon way, a very active working fishing port with
a. plenty of shopping for the vistors.
b. Mariners square home of an Underwater aquarium, Ripley's believe it or
not. and Waxs works.
c. Deep sea fishing, or whale watching trips into the beautiful Pacific
Ocean
3. Over the bridge in South Beach you will find
a. Hatfield marine science center, Free
b. The Oregon Coast Aquarium former home of Keiko the whale. My
daughter works the Hot dog stand at the Passages of the deep Keikos
former tank. ask for Leah.
c. and more shopping at Aquarium Village. (I really like Pirates Plunder)

It may sound like I work for the tourism board, but I really just love living here,
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:30 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I've been to most of these places. The mere mention of Mo's and my mouth starts to water. Yum...

We missed Keiko (Free Willy) by a couple of months on our first visit to the Aquarium. We also love to visit all of the Oregon coast's lighthouses. There are a bunch.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
What a great thread!

I just got back from my yearly 3,000 plus mile roadtrip through Oregon and Washington. Without a doubt, Oregon is my favorite state in the country, and I spend most of every summer there. LOVE IT!

Many excellent recommendations already.

I've traveled the four corners of the state and Beverly Beach has got to be the most beautiful campground of the entire awesome Oregon State Park system. If you get a reservation for a site on the river, you will know what I mean.

The Marina RV Resort is a very nice pick. Surrounded by water. Don't miss the Seafood BBQ at the Cannery in Winchester Bay every weekend. If it's a sunny day, life doesn't get much better! Also see the Umqua Lighthouse and take the tour. A very unique lighthouse. Then take the mile hike around the lake at Umpqua State Park next door.

Bend has one of the nicest RV Parks I've ever been to. Crown Ridge RV Resort has incredibly huge, spaceous sites with beautiful landscaping, rolling grass, pine trees and nice paver brick patios. You got to see it to believe it. Recommend Sun River for a lunch or dinner. Beautiful development. And as Stephanie recommended, the drive up to Paulina Lake at Newberry Crater should not be missed. Try the "Paulina Plunge"- you are bussed to the top of the mountain and given a bike to coast all the way down 7,000 feet.

If you want hookups, Mike's suggestion to try Tumalo State Park over the Sisters KOA is right on. The KOA is nothing special- close together sites and right on the highway.

As John said, I just did the drive over the Cascades from Sisters along the McKenzie River to Eugene. WOW- what a drive! I wanted to pull over every turn of the road to really enjoy it.

And enjoy the highways of Eastern Oregon through "Oregon's Outback". It's the kind of country I love to roadtrip in- open, empty and beautiful. Clean air with Juniper scented.

Man, wish I could climb back into my rig and do it all again right now! Aw
well, have to wait till next summer.

Enjoy your trip Sheila and let us know how it went.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
I grew up in Bend, Oregon...........

and have been a long time gone. I go back about every ten years for a high school reunion (class of '67). While Central Oregon is certainly God's country, it depresses me how developed it has become. In 1968, Bend was a mill town of 13,800 people. It is no longer timber-centric. Regardless, it is lovely area and I am envious of your trip.

Joe
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

I grew up Right across the river from Tumalo state park. Except when I was growing up it was not a park, just a little road along the river to a swimming hole. All the gypseys camped there and would come borrow our washing machine to wash there clothes. Also the fishermen would park there because the trout fishing was superb.

Eschew Obfuscation
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2,713 miles later!

Our fall 2004 road trip was a wonderful success! This trip marked our third longest trip in our 2002 AS – 2,713 miles! We saw everything from truck loads of Potatoes, Onions and Garlic to Gray Whales, Great Horned Owls and Oyster Catchers. We had three full days of non-stop rain, probably the hardest I have seen in a very long time and that is saying a lot coming from New Orleans. The rest of the time was sunny and warm during the day and cool at night.

For sure Oregon is one of our most favorite places!

A list of places we stayed:
Evanstan, CO – Phillips RV Park (traveling – over night)
Fruitland, ID – Neat Retreat RV Park (traveling – over night)
Bend, OR – Crown Villa Resort
Winchester Bay, OR – The Marina RV Resort
Newport, OR - Beverly Beach Start Park (just one night – too muddy)
Newport, OR - Newport Marina (Annex)
Sisters, OR – Mountain View
Jerone, ID – KOA - (traveling – over night)
Rawlins, WY - RV World (traveling – over night)

Along the way we saw 22 Airstreams and tried to wave to several of them!! It was fun seeing so many. We have seen two in Loveland, CO since we have been home, which are not included in the 22. We did experience one problem along the way. We had to take off one of our rock guards, because it was backing out and vibrating too much. In fact the top trim around the edge split.

I would like to thank everyone for their replies to my original message.
Thanks a lot!
-Sheila (dreaming of our next trip)
Attached Images

WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote