Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2019, 06:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Minnesota Sites to See

Heading north in Aug on our annual sojourn to escape midwest heat and humidity.

Thinking about Minnesota this year. What are some must-sees or must-stays?
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Depends on whether you want to embrace or avoid the Twin Cities Metro. As a Minneapolitan, I would suggest you avoid it.
The two areas to consider are either the "North Shore" and the central-lakes area.
The North Shore is the Lake Superior shoreline from Duluth to the Canadian border. Duluth is a very interesting city (due to its status of being a port for ocean-going freighters to and from Europe and elsewhere. Along the North Shore, you'll find one of the most picturesque lighthouses in the country (Split Rock), a couple of really cool waterfalls (Gooseberry and Tettegouche) and some unique towns that are very charming without being too touristy (Grand Marais is the best).
The central lakes area runs from Brainerd to Bemidji. There are a zillion lakes in that area and many Minnesotans have cabins on those lakes, so there are a lot of restaurants and activities. Lake Itasca State Park is one of the nations best state parks.
Both areas have their plusses and minuses. In the central lakes, you can actually get in the water (boat, ski, fish, etc.) Lake Superior is way too cold. But the cooler air is nice in summer and there are fewer mosquitoes.
If you're going for long enough, you can experience both.
Gopher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
I would agree with John about Duluth and the North Shore. I would also recommend the Mississippi River Valley, from the Southeast border to Lake ltasca. Southwestern Minnesota, once prairie; is now largely farmland. North of Interstate Highway 94 is Northwoods and Lakes.