Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Stafford , Virginia
Must See Sites VA to MT/ID This Summer

We are new Airstream owners and are planning a trip this summer. We hope to travel from Virginia to Montana and Idaho and back. What would you recommend as "must sees"? We will be traveling with our youngest 2 children (ages 7 and 9). We also hope to fly fish as much as possible.

Thanks for your help!
VioLey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Stafford , Virginia
Also looking for campground recommendations.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
So many unbelievable places. Depending on your route. Arch in St. Louis (you will probably go to far north from where you are to go there), wall drug, corn palace, mt. rushmore, crazy horse memorial, deadwood, in South Dakota. Devils tower in Wyoming (ET was filmed there) Little bighorn in MT. If you can get up to northwest MT. Glacier is the most unbelievable site. I would miss a couple of days somewhere else just to go see Glacier NP. You will get many more suggestions. It will be a great trip.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Minuteman Missile National Historic Site near Rapid City. If you get a spot on the tour, they take you underground to a launch capsule. Absolutely authentic so a little scary...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
Yellowstone. the high country of the Bighorns, Buffalo Bill museum Cody Wyo., USAF museum Dayton Oh., Greenfield Village Detroit. More history per mile in Va. than anywhere; Monticello, Poplar Forest, ashlawn, Appomattox, Harpers Ferry, Gettysburg very near... If your kids don't need Jellystone Park accomodations I'd research state parks and USFS campgrounds, many of those have been the best we have stayed in and half the cost of commercial, though you .may need a generator, and to shower in the AS.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Try to work a "loop" trip--go one route and return another....
Badlands of South Dakota, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, Deadwood SD, Devils Tower, Cody WY, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Tetons, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Mounument Valley, Mesa Verda.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Chesapeake , Virginia
We live in Chesapeake Virginia and also planning a trip to the Montana area this summer. Have you selected your routes yet? We are looking forward to driving less interstate roads and more state roads.
Chip2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Stafford , Virginia
I haven't nailed anything down yet. I'll probably spend some time over Christmas break planning the trip. We may be heading your way after Christmas! Checking on space at Dam Neck for the week between Christmas and New Year's.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Google Meadow Lake in Idaho. It's stunning. Although I've never camped there, I drove Rt 28 right past the turnoff in 2000 and didn't know it was there. Years later I checked Rt 28 (beautiful drive in its own right) on Google Earth and made the discovery. It's been on my bucket list ever since.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote