Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #21
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
For night turns or back ups you might install docking lights designed for boats. They mount on the sides and could be canted down in the area of an obstruction or curb. Being near the banana wrap wiring should not be a problem.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
As a retired transport driver I learned to "stay wide " making sharp turns as Tyggeln instructed and always get out and look.
I rarely trailer after dark with my AS but had to get around many sharp corners into narrow driveways with the big truck.
My AS is 31' and I find it doesn't off track much. Be careful and good luck.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
This might be something that will just come to you with practice. You don't say how big your trailer is, but with our short trailer, we feel pretty confident about how it will track behind us in a turn, and know it will behave the same if we can see it or not.

Hmm...another challenge of having a humped air, 35 classic, with F350 dually crew cab...

WBCCI #7246
Michigan Unit
Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member)
AIR #91367
Old 01-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air morgan View Post
It always bothers me when towing after dark and I need to make a turn into an unlighted street/ side road or even an RV park. I'm a big advocate of constantly glancing at my side mirrors whether going straight or especially in turns. When towing at night and I make these turns and look into the large side mirrors on my F250, I see NOTHING when I'm looking for the side of the trailer to clear. Typically there is a sign post, utility pole, ditch, or even another auto in that corner that has to be cleared by the AS. To date, I have never scraped nor clipped anything while doing this but it's still one of those dreaded moments for me we seem to have in our travels.
Does anyone know of any equipment , tricks, hints, or have any advice on how they navigate these situations and if there is a way to watch the sides of the trailer at night without installing cameras.
1) Visually clear the area where you will turn as you approach. The spill from the headlights should provide sufficient illumination to do this.

2) Experience will teach you where the trailer will track as you make the turn. Practice driving the "jughandle" during the day

3) Get out and look when making a critical turn
Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Chances are the AS will turn the same way at night that it does during the day. So, go to a large parking lot, create an 'intersection' by marking 12' out from a 'light' pole in your path of travel and 90 degrees where you 'intend' the AS to pass. See how it 'behaves'. If you have some help, ask them to 'video' from behind as you maneuver the AS.

Now, 'square' your corner as follows...As you 'approach' the corner, slow down... position as far to the 'outside' of the turn as you can safely do. Continue into the 'intersection' you created until the front of your TV is to the 'far side' of the intersection and turn wheels 'sharply', to near maximum, but don't 'stick' them all the way. Since you are traveling slowly, the 'turn' will begin, sharply. This will cause 'rear end swing' of the AS... about 1/3-1/2 of the length BEHIND the tires will swing wide as you square the turn... depending upon how well you execute.

Due to personal visual handicap, we installed the RVS system. It RAWKS!! If you want more info, PM me.

To cover your AS lighting during turns and hitching, setup, etc.. you 'could' add some under bumper lights on your TV. I have 'Rock Tamer' mudflaps and might add them there so that I can 'remove' them when not towing. Another option is to use the kind that have really strong magnets to temporarily mount to the bumper. You can then 'aim' and wire to control switches at your drivers position... You can then use simple SAE connectors to connect the lights when you 'deploy' them.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I look over my shoulder. It usually works...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421889964.281155.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	230877

The perils of backing at night!
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
What Tygglen said. Both my wife and I have CDLs. My wife drove a 41' school bus on city type and neighborhood type streets for 25 years. I ran a company and had a number of 18 wheelers and smaller trucks on the road every day and wanted to know what my guys do and how they do it, so I secured my CDL and used it often to help out.

The only way to know how to do it is to do it, to practice in an open area with cones, and do it until you know it will work. Put a cone at the furthest point into the turn you can go, then put a cone at the left and then right spots where you think a post or car might be and do it. We taught this to our new drivers including parallel parking and it's part of the CDL test both B for school bus and A for tractor trailers. It takes time and patience but once mastered one can approach almost every situation with confidence. PLUS don't be concerned about holding people up, take your time and wait for cars etc to move out of your way, even if a light changes, wait. Proceed only when you've got the confidence you can make the turn safely for you and others around you.

Then, we try to not travel at night, old eyes simply don't seem to work well at night and a dark rainy night is worse. But by practicing at least I know where my trailer is and what it will do in almost any type of turn, backing up, one of us is out with a two way radio and light if necessary.

Good Luck and Enjoy.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #29
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
I second what is the best advice you have received. Get to know your trailer and TV combination by practice. I also suggest no backing at nite without a spotter.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
I get out to look at turns and back up situations. My wife will also stand to watch a close spot as well. I make sure she is somewhere that she cannot get pinned by the TT and in view of a mirror. We use standard hand signals for distance and stop.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote