Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
Making a 90 degree turn after dark while towing.

It always bothers me when towing after dark and I need to make a turn into an unlighted street/ side road or even an RV park. I'm a big advocate of constantly glancing at my side mirrors whether going straight or especially in turns. When towing at night and I make these turns and look into the large side mirrors on my F250, I see NOTHING when I'm looking for the side of the trailer to clear. Typically there is a sign post, utility pole, ditch, or even another auto in that corner that has to be cleared by the AS. To date, I have never scraped nor clipped anything while doing this but it's still one of those dreaded moments for me we seem to have in our travels.
Does anyone know of any equipment , tricks, hints, or have any advice on how they navigate these situations and if there is a way to watch the sides of the trailer at night without installing cameras.
Air morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have to admit - I haven't trailered at night yet. Do your running lights help at all? The moves would be no different than during the day - you just have to be sure you see what's in the blind before taking the turn.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
The best I can come up with is: do some driving while towing your trailer.... in the daylight. Pay particular attention to how the trailer tracks while making left and right turns. Once you get a good idea of that, make sure that when you're towing at night that you swing wide enough to clear the trailer.
Night driving is always more challenging, add to that some rain and you'll really have fun.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Although it's a little nerve-wracking to do so I have had to bring eighteen wheelers to a full stop at night to get out and e amine the turn. The thinking is that it is better to block one lane or shoulder versus get stuck and block the entire roadway.

A handheld plug in spotlight shortens this dramatically.

Liability is having all placed warning devices on stopping.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see the running lights in my rear view mirror. I make the turn as wide as possible- over-compensate-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This might be something that will just come to you with practice. You don't say how big your trailer is, but with our short trailer, we feel pretty confident about how it will track behind us in a turn, and know it will behave the same if we can see it or not.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A handheld spotlight isn't a bad idea at all. Thanks. I think it was "Artstream's" trailer that had blue lights run around the bottom of the belly pan. Normally they were only used when in a campground to provide light so you didn't whack the awning poles, etc.... but I think they could be turned on while running too. That would be handy in fog, if you had to pull over on the berm or while making those turns.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A handheld spotlight isn't a bad idea at all. Thanks. I think it was "Artstream's" trailer that had blue lights run around the bottom of the belly pan. Normally they were only used when in a campground to provide light so you didn't whack the awning poles, etc.... but I think they could be turned on while running too. That would be handy in fog, if you had to pull over on the berm or while making those turns.
Yup, it was Michael’s trailer that had those blue lights... at night, made his trailer look like it was floating on plasma energy... ‘course, that might have been in conjunction with what we were drinking...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Having also a CDL, I have found that many of the skills I learned transferred well to towing.

1) Use your side mirrors on every turn day or night to get an idea of where your wheels are going.
2) Only turn left from the rightmost left turn lane if there is a choice.
2) Keep your windows and side mirrors clean.
3) Keep your dashboard lighting down to minimum - this will help you to see down the sides of the rig under low light
4) If backing up, you can use your brake lights to illuminate what's behind. Better yet, get a spotter if its tight.
5) Take your time.
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Making a 90 degree turn after dark while towing.

A large screen GPS is also helpful. Switch to satellite view. Doesn't work for me with here today gone tomorrow oil rigs, but it ought to with those RV parks located down three dirt lanes.

A safety vest, spotlight, warning devices more than just the three triangles and vehicle 4-ways should be used. Plenty of mag mount plug in flashers at Northern Tool for example. Or road flares. Traffic needs alerts from both directions no matter the direction of my turn from a dead stop.

If there is any dirt look for tracks by other combined vehicles. If they came down your road from the other direction then it's a good idea to try the same. A half hour or an hour is nothing compared to an accident. I've had to detour twenty-seven miles each way on an occasion. Many, many times part of this distance.

Biggest mistake by four wheelers is following the front wheels around in solo driving, much worse when towing. The first pendulum point is the vehicle rear axle. The second is the hitch ball.

It's not so much swing wide as swing later than one is used to. The TV can do what the TT cannot and that is to deal with road crown and embankment issues. The steer axle will go farther "over" than solo experience suggests. This is the point to get out again and back out of if it won't work or gut tells you not to. Thus the warning devices.

Always best to have a helper.

In the above it works well for fully rural farm and ranch country. I wouldn't if it was off a road in an area being swallowed by metro expansion. Those are the fatality roads.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
As far as equipment, Rear View Safety sells kits of proximity sensors similar to those on the rear bumper of many vehicles. Their camera kits also can include side view cameras. It would be a wiring project, but could provide considerable peace of mind. How nice if the Airstream had the same collision avoidance technology as my Jeep Grand Cherokee! Lacking that, my spouse gets out with a flashlight if backing into a site in the dark. Even back up lights would be a nice improvement.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
They'd better be able to pinpoint the trailer tire tread. Unless mounted underneath that sounds like false security with a bar ditch and bob wahr fence on a 110- degree turn. In the dark.

The shorter the TT the easier it is. I can't see a 25' being a problem behind a half-ton or smaller. But a 30' or larger behind a crew cab 1T due to the distance from the secondary pendulum point, I can. Tail swing is a bear if one has to correct from the turn in the opposite direction.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
What I would do is mount a Back Rack, see link below.

BackRack Louvered Cab Guards

Mount a spotlamp (preferably LED) on both top corners of the Back Rack facing aft with a dedicated switch to the cab. These would also help with disconnecting or connecting in low light situations and working around the truck in general.

I picked this spot as it's an amber light which may not aggravate drivers to your rear as much as a white spot may if you should decide to turn it on as you're driving around any corner in traffic. The amber light will also help with fog and inclement weather as it doesn't reflect as much back into your eyes.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...uct/1974/4503/

You can pick any lamp you like.
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
If it's bar ditches and barbed wire fences you're worried about, you should get out and look. Nothing beats an eyeball. Technology helps with larger hazards.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyggeln View Post
Having also a CDL, I have found that many of the skills I learned transferred well to towing.

1) Use your side mirrors on every turn day or night to get an idea of where your wheels are going.
2) Only turn left from the rightmost left turn lane if there is a choice.
2) Keep your windows and side mirrors clean.
3) Keep your dashboard lighting down to minimum - this will help you to see down the sides of the rig under low light
4) If backing up, you can use your brake lights to illuminate what's behind. Better yet, get a spotter if its tight.
5) Take your time.
The only thing I would add is to kill the headlights and take some time for your eyes to acclimate to the environment. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
The only thing I would add, which I learned the hard way, is if you are using a Husky WD system with a larger AS in which the frame hangs down below the coupling. Hard turns put the ball plate up against the frame and then bend the ball forward. When this first happened to me I called Husky and they described the mechanism. They sent me a new plate but had to pay for install and because we couldn't get the ball off with a bent plate had to buy a new ball. The fix is for AS to remove the portion of frame that hangs below the coupling on large trailers, interestingly small trailers do not have this problem because the frame is smaller. Since the coupling is welded well back doing this will not weaken the frame. I plan to do it on my 28ft FC as soon as possible.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #17
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
RG why not get a WD system that won't require you to cut the frame?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
You might be able to wire in a switch that you could use to turn on your backup lights while moving forward.Not alot of light but might be some help and easy to do.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #19
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I know it is a close call...but after buying a new WD system and setting it up (ie, weight measure and all) it just seems easier and less expensive to cut the frame. I can probably have the frame cut for $100. Airstream is aware of this but chooses to not make this modification.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #20
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Practice and experience increase your skill and confidence.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote