Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Maiden Voyage

Hi All,

We were able to pick-up our Airstream in Michigan and tow it 650 miles over the week-end. It was an awesome towing experience, for first-timers.

We were able to spend 3 days at the Dealership which help remove a lot of the jitters. Great group of people. I will definitely have to get some more practice in backing such a long rig in those narrow parking spaces. But, we made.

Don't know when we can get out again because the trailer has been winterized. Just afraid that I will forget what I have learned.

Just want to say thanks to all, for help us get to this point. Sorry, about the "PM" have not figured out how to get access.

Here is a photo of our rig.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Glad to hear your dealership experience was a positive one.

Your excitement is palpable. Wonderful!

Your photo did not come through. You have to get a forum link from a photo-hosting site like picturetrail.

A brand new 30' Classic sounds swishy. Am dying to see those photos!!

I'm still lousy at backing a 27' but am fairly confident about the towing biz now. There's nothing like cruising down the highway, looking in the rear-view mirror, and the Airstream is bobbing happily along.

All the best....and what are you going to name your AS??

BTW, my trailer has been winterized too but I still use it as a home office and driveway bedroom. I sleep in it over the winter; it's the only place I can really get a good night's sleep now.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #3

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Houston , Texas
I am on my 5th trip in my 26' Eddie Bauer that we bought in July. We named ours the Aluminum Falcon, we are not really nerds but the Star Wars reference is funny to me.

You get pretty good at backing up. But every trip I seem to screw something up. The worst thing I did so far was break my awning because I put the hooks in the wrong place and bent the rails. There is so much to learn. We are at Daingerfield Lake State Park right now near Texarkana, Texas. We are using the furnace for the first time.

We are trying to camp at least once a month to work up to our big voyage out to California next June. I also need to figure out how to load photos!
John Lowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
You have the best of both worlds. You are in your home and have your Airstream in your driveway. We have to store our in a Storage Lot. I had a brief visit to my Airstream the other day, I could not believe how cold it was inside. At least you can see, visit and know your "Baby" is safe all the time.

Our storage lot is really, really safe, to the point it is a pain in the butt to visit your RV without an appointment, unless you take it off the lot. We visited a man today that we will be able to store it on his farm.

At least you are confident can back up your backing up skills. Boy, do I need some practice.

BTW, our Airstream name is "Road Runner."

Thanks for the advice on the photos. I will get to work on it.

FreedomRider
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB170015.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	173179  
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yes, I am lucky. I figure I am getting more "bang for my Airstream buck" as a spare bedroom/driveway office.

An uninhabited AS can get awfully cold and damp in the winter. Another advantage to having it year-round and hooked to house power is the fact I can put a small electric heater in there and it staves off the cold/damp. Matter of fact, it keeps the trailer warm enough to sleep in w/o using the propane.

I know of another Airstreamer who keeps his trailer in a storage place which happens to be right across the street from his favourite cafe. He often tells his wife "I'm going outside to do a few things, dear", then sneaks off to his favourite cafe, orders something fattening that his wife refuses to cook for him, then retires to the Airstream for a nice long snooze. I would say he is getting a "good bang for his Airstream buck" too.

Glad you have found alternate storage arrangements that will give you more options. Not being able to go to your trailer w/o an appointment would be akin to having a loved one in hospital with limitied visiting hours.

Having it parked on a farm sounds nice. You could go there and have a little Airstream picnic.

Nice trailer and name.

All the best to you and the "Road Runner", and watch out for Wiley Coyote! He'll try to catch you on a hill!