Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
I10 Florida Panhandle

Anyone ever overnight at one of the state run roadside rest? I noticed the ones I encountered had signs about 'armed security' is on site.
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
No, and I think there may be signs posted saying no overnight stays. But I've seen motorhomes and trucks that looked like they are setup for overnight stay. If you decide against rest shops or run into a problem, there are several other options. Falling Rivers State Park is only a couple of miles of interstate. Camping World in Tallahassee is about a mile north of interstate and has free spots as available with electric hookups. There are some Flying Js and I think most Panhandle Walmarts are friendly to overnight stays. The Walmarts in niceville, Mariana and chipley are near the interstate. There is a good Vietnamese Restaurant in that stretch but I cannot remember the name right now.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
They put in the security guards after a spate of armed robberies about 10 years back. Bad for the tourist trade, don't you know. Officially, there is no overnight parking but it seems to vary depending on who is on duty.

Just be prepared to move if asked...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Florida Interstate Rest Area security actually started in 1993 after the robbery and murder of a British tourist at the Jefferson County Rest Area on I-10 (mile marker 233). They also instituted the "no overnight parking" policy at that time. This policy can be flexible, depending on the officer on duty.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
When on I-10 in the Panhandle, I time my overnight stop for the Cracker Barrel in Tallahassee right off the highway.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
We recently overnighted at Hitchin' Post off I-10's Exit 130 which is just minutes off the Cottondale exit. There is a Love's truck stop at this exit too. It's a new campground right off the interstate with wifi, nice hosts, full hookups, and they do offer a nice discount for Passport America members. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a convenient spot to stay a night, or two.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
There are several good Wal-Marts near I-10 in the Florida. They are located at:

Quincy (SR 267/Exit181)
Marianna (SR71/Exit 142)
Chipley (SR77?Exit 120)
DeFuniak Springs (US331/Exit 85)

All of these are in the Central Time Zone, except Quincy. All are located in small towns that are somewhat quiet and secure.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I've driven across Fl on I-10 for years and regularly stay at the rest stops west of I-75. I usually stay at the ones just west of Tallahassee in both the east and west bound lanes because they're the most convenient for the times I travel. I've never been asked to move or felt unsafe.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
I'm looking to stop for a late siesta. Thanks for all the great info.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I would not stay at any Interstate rest stop, too dangerous. What are you saving? $25-$40? Is that worth your life or that of your family? I have used some Wal-Marts and Cracker Barrels, but only after some research on the Internet.

Garmin GPS and smart phone apps can locate nearby RV parks and they provide the number so you can call. I recently came up I-75 from Florida and used the Garmin to see what RV parks were near Tifton, GA. I found a very nice, small RV park with clean, individual rest rooms (toilet, sink and shower), full hookups, basic cable, about 100 yards off the Interstate (easy off/on) next to a multitude of restaurants and gas stations. The host was there at the picket fence to greet us and walk us to our site. It was quiet and peaceful, much better than a rest area and more secure. The cost? With my Good Sam discount (she didn't even check to see if I had one, but I do) it was $27 for the night, everything included.

If coming on I-75 near Tifton, GA and you need a spot for the night (or week or month) you'll want to check out Pines RV park at exit 61.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I stayed at several rest areas on I-10 and other places on cross country trips. With a motorhome I do not have to go outside for anything other than a leg streach and check on the toad.

Never been ask to leave a rest area in Florida, but did have some noisy neighbors (18 wheelers) on both sides at 3am. With their engines running it got me moving much earlier than expected.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I would not stay at any Interstate rest stop, too dangerous. What are you saving? $25-$40? Is that worth your life or that of your family? I have used some Wal-Marts and Cracker Barrels, but only after some research on the Internet.

Garmin GPS and smart phone apps can locate nearby RV parks and they provide the number so you can call. I recently came up I-75 from Florida and used the Garmin to see what RV parks were near Tifton, GA. I found a very nice, small RV park with clean, individual rest rooms (toilet, sink and shower), full hookups, basic cable, about 100 yards off the Interstate (easy off/on) next to a multitude of restaurants and gas stations. The host was there at the picket fence to greet us and walk us to our site. It was quiet and peaceful, much better than a rest area and more secure. The cost? With my Good Sam discount (she didn't even check to see if I had one, but I do) it was $27 for the night, everything included.

If coming on I-75 near Tifton, GA and you need a spot for the night (or week or month) you'll want to check out Pines RV park at exit 61.

I respect your insight. We have never overnighted at a public location; we have stopped for the occasional nap of a few hours. I believe folks do what they're most comfortable with ... personally I prefer a park just for the assurance of basic hookups.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
I respect your insight. We have never overnighted at a public location; we have stopped for the occasional nap of a few hours. I believe folks do what they're most comfortable with ... personally I prefer a park just for the assurance of basic hookups.
Sorry, thought you were talking about an overnight. Daylight stops are OK, I try to park with other RVs and TT. Strength in numbers, circle the wagons or whatever. We stop in rest areas for lunch breaks, I-10 and I-75, haven't had any problems. We always stop somewhere safer before dark so I can't say about the dark hours.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 02-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
FYI, Florida Interestate rest stops have in the past been the sight of robberies & altercations during overnight hours. What's happening is the warmer weather attracts vagrants escaping from the cold northern climates. They know Rest Areas here are easy pickings while unsuspecting tourists sleep in their RV's. If you get lured outside you could get ambushed. Nighttime security is provided but still not safe & overnighting not allowed.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
FYI, Florida Interestate rest stops have in the past been the sight of robberies & altercations during overnight hours. What's happening is the warmer weather attracts vagrants escaping from the cold northern climates. They know Rest Areas here are easy pickings while unsuspecting tourists sleep in their RV's. If you get lured outside you could get ambushed. Nighttime security is provided but still not safe & overnighting not allowed.
You have to be vigilant at any rest stop, regardless of the Interstate. I'm sure anyone is a prime target because of the quick and easy getaway capability. Someone is always running away from something and rest areas are just plain dangerous. I use them, but I'm always alert to questionable travelers milling about. I will eat lunch there but I don't dawdle any longer than necessary.

When I see the sign "night time security" I don't think it's for my protection, I think of it as protection for the property and the cleaning personnel that are there.

Think safe, be alert, don't be a victim.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8