Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #21
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
Here is the way we carry our bicycles. .
The rack is a stock item from GMC.
Need to mount a receiver hitch on the front same as on the back.
I found this thread because La Gringa and I were talking about our AS plans for the summer, and I brought up the subject of how to take bikes along. I had already planned to put a front receiver on a TV when we get one of our own, but this year we will be leasing a truck.

Anyhow, when I showed her your photo and said 'this is how we'll be carrying them eventually. but it's in the back of the rental truck for now..."

her only answer was 'Ooohh....where was that photo taken?'
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
My wifes PINK (from the 70's Schwinn rides upside down on the handle bars and rear luggage rack,inside the AS, against the front goucho with lots of blankets. We block it in with a cooler and tables. IT has never moved. NO WAY that puppy will be outside.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
There is a double receiver available for the TV. Something I will be looking into some day

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
2014 19' International
2008 28' International
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
I carry 4 bikes on the bed of my 28ft International. I use a Saris Traps triple track fork mount carrier:

Traps Triple Tracks

I secure this to the mattress using Yakima heavy duty load straps, which I wrap thru each fork block and around and under the plywood base of the bed, the bikes are loaded on with the rear wheel towards the head of the bed, I then run another set of straps thru the rear wheels and again under the plywood base. Done properly this is very secure and has worked well for me. I then place the front wheels in wheel bags and place those on either side of the bed. A local bicycle shop could supply you with all of these items.
allenkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
front mount hitch

I like the idea of the front mount hitch. With kids and all we don't have room to put the bikes inside our vehicle so the front mount hitch seems the best for us. This season we'll simply load them inside the trailer since we've blown a lot of cash replacing axles, water heater and tires, Maybe next season! Thanks for all the great suggestions!
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre View Post
I like the idea of the front mount hitch. With kids and all we don't have room to put the bikes inside our vehicle so the front mount hitch seems the best for us. This season we'll simply load them inside the trailer since we've blown a lot of cash replacing axles, water heater and tires, Maybe next season! Thanks for all the great suggestions!
I have been doing this for over 12 years with never a problem. The only thing I would caution is that "technically" I suppose it could break some aspects of the highway code and it some law enforcement officer was feeling especially miserable, they might give you a hard time.

The bikes do - very marginally - obstruct field of vision, not in my view to any extent that could cause a problem.

Also, the bikes do slightly reduce the effectiveness of your headlights - again, not very much, and in our case, we are seldom on the road with the trailer after dark anyway. I find as I grow older, I like drivng at night on unfamiliar roads less and less - especially with the trailer in tow!

As mentioned, we have never been stopped in over 12 years of carrying the bikes this way, but just something to be aware of!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1975 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , California
Yakima Bicycle Rack on top of Tonneau Cover

After looking at many options for packing our bikes while towing our Airstream, I decided on putting the bikes on top of our tonneau cover. The pluses and minuses of different systems have been already stated in this Forum. Every system has its tradeoffs.

Tonneau cover rack has the following pluses for us:
1. We like the visibility of tonneau cover over a shell, the bikes themselves do not significantly reduce visibility.
2. Loading and unloading of bike is easy because the lift is at shoulder height,
3. If rack is on the trailer, it would be difficult to bring bikes without trailer.
3. We expected that we would have to remove bikes before lifting cover or unloading but we serendipitously discovered, as you can see in photo, that the lid can be lifted and truck bed unloaded without removing the bikes. (due to added weight of bikes I use 2x4 to give additional support to shock absorbers on lid when lifting tonneau cover with bikes on)

I first saw this Yakima Bike Rack for Tonneau Cover applied at 2010 Ford F-150 Truckbed Tonneau Cover Bike Racks using Yakima Tracks, Control Towers & LP1 Landing Pads and Raptor

Components can be purshased for around $700 new. After a 2 week search on craigslist, we found our components for less than $300 used.

We also moved the bike racks a little to the center of the truck to provide for a more compacted appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Side Loaded.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	131109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Lid Open.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	131111  

Name:	Bike Full Loaded 2.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	131114  
Old 05-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #28
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Bike rack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BikeRack.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	131115   Click image for larger version

Name:	rack-bikes-2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	131116  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I like that tonneau cover solution, like Mojo's as well but it does "iggy up" the nice lines of the Airstream...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Cooling Airflow

One question I have for you guys putting the bikes in front of the tow vehicle....has your truck ever overheated as a result?

You are blocking the airflow into the radiator. I understand the auto makers build in a safety factor, but I would think that having three or four bicycles bolted to the front of the truck would inhibit the airflow enough to make the vehicle run hotter.

Have you all noticed this? If not, then great. I am very seriously looking at welding on a receiver to the back bumper of my Avion 34 footer so that we can use the same bike rack we use on my wife's Trailblazer to carry our bikes. I'm tired of fighting them in the back of my pickup under the normal height cap, and how much room they eat up. The Avion's frame is heavy enough to not worry about sag or separation. And I front load it enough that the CG is always way forward.

Just the same, I like the idea of the front mount on the truck. I'm just worried about restricting airflow and overheating the engine.

see ya on the road,
Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Folding bikes are what we use. Airstream is still up on cement blocks, but they fit in the PUP. Not great for everyday use (only 3 speeds, and tiny wheels) but great for camping trips.
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Um, now I have no bikes, and I'm not really into them so please pardon what may seem to be an "ignert" question:

Why not just put them inside the trailer? Wouldn't take much to secure them, would it?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #33
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I just bought a cap for my truck and plan on traveling with the bikes on top of the cap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0008 (1).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	131694  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
never had an overheat problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
One question I have for you guys putting the bikes in front of the tow vehicle....has your truck ever overheated as a result?
Nope...28 years towing four different Airstreams with everything from a Toyota pick up to a Dodge diesel, all with a bikes on the front of the truck/suv and never had an overheat problem and it gets pretty darn hot in the California valleys in the summer.

They aren't really that much surface area and the air flows thru and around them.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Um, now I have no bikes, and I'm not really into them so please pardon what may seem to be an "ignert" question:

Why not just put them inside the trailer? Wouldn't take much to secure them, would it?
Grease, dirt, space, damage the interior. With the bike rack on the front of the truck I hang the bikes on the rack, put the hold down bracket on and padlock lock it, one bungee cord on the front wheels of the bikes and I'm on the road.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
dual hitch extension

Has anyone used one of these? I've seen two designs-one rated for 10K/500lb. tongue weight and one rated at 5K? Are they unsafe, pose clearance issues, not rated for weight of AS? Just thought I'd ask-just saw one for the first time and thought it was a great idea for the right application.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rm_dual hitch 10k cap.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	131903  
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre
Has anyone used one of these?.
Tongue weight issues aside, if you planned to carry bikes, I expect their location would create issues for you (snap, crackle, pop) when you turned.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #38
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
haven't used one of those specifically, but used a receiver mounted bike rack for years without any problems. I don't see why you couldn't put one in the top receiver and tow with the bottom one. That's the idea, right?

Is this compatible with the WDH's?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:28 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Yes, they are designed to tow with the bottom and bike rack on the upper. I have not checked clearances between the rack/bikes and the propane tanks. I do still like the idea of a front mounted reciever on my Sequioa-our issue is we have 4 adult sized bikes since our boys are older. I would prefer to only have two bikes in front and either put the other two inside the trailer or consider one of these dual hitches if it were to work properly and not create a safety issue. One (additional) hesitation I have about the dual hitch is that, currently, when we are towing the AS we can open our back hatch to get to cargo (duct tape and wiskey-just kidding!) and the door just clears the propane tanks so this would eliminate that which isn't the end of the world but I do like being able to have access to cargo(duct tape, wiskey and hammer-just kidding!)
Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
We haven't bought our airstream yet... So please forgive my ignorance....but in this whole thread no one said anything about roof mounted bike racks on the TV. Is there something I don't know about? Like not putting bikes on the roof of a TV when pulling a trailer?

And while some SUVs are tall and make lifting a problem, this could be helped with a small step stool/ladder brought along for just that reason.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bring bikes