Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I have dumped 100+ times at campsites, never at a dump station. Thinking ahead, I will have my flush hose in a convenient place ready to connect. The question I have is the sewer hose. If your valve is too close to the dump, your 10 or 15’ hose will be a struggle even if it’s compressed. If too far, you might need a way to support it, requiring you hose support. Is this correct? Should I purchase a 5’ sewer hose?
Old 05-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #22
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I have dumped 100+ times at campsites, never at a dump station. Thinking ahead, I will have my flush hose in a convenient place ready to connect. The question I have is the sewer hose. If your valve is too close to the dump, your 10 or 15’ hose will be a struggle even if it’s compressed. If too far, you might need a way to support it, requiring you hose support. Is this correct? Should I purchase a 5’ sewer hose?
I'll answer your question to the best of my knowledge and ask another. I have a Rhino hose and it compresses very well to under 5 feet and stays compressed, and I also have the Sidewinder sewer hose support which I haven't used but looks easy.

My question is about flushing, I hear about everyone hooking up hoses all the time to flush. What about just going inside and holding the toilet lever down for a couple of quick flushes? Especially if you have a dump station at your house where you can do a more efficient & leisurely flush when you get home.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
I have one..it is handy
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:

I take it that you never camp in NP or State Parks. These parks normally do not have sewer connections at the sites.
After about 4 nights without sewer dump I go to the dump station to dump, however I always try to fill Gray tank full to use as a flush after black water dump. I also have a water bid on the AS that I can use from fresh water tank to flush black water tank.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I'll answer your question to the best of my knowledge and ask another. I have a Rhino hose and it compresses very well to under 5 feet and stays compressed, and I also have the Sidewinder sewer hose support which I haven't used but looks easy.

My question is about flushing, I hear about everyone hooking up hoses all the time to flush. What about just going inside and holding the toilet lever down for a couple of quick flushes? Especially if you have a dump station at your house where you can do a more efficient & leisurely flush when you get home.
That’s what I do. Unless I got time to waste and no one in line behind me and it’s got a hose on a springy stick just sittin there asking to be used. Otherwise it’s just gunna get dirty anyways and it’s not drying out if your useing it.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I typically plan my trip around a campsite with full hookups as the last stop. I currently have a rinoflex 10’ & 15’. I’m speaking of the black tank flush. You dump the black, then flush the black tank with the internal sprinkler prior to emptying the gray. I do this if I will be storing the trailer for any length of time. I do not have a dump at home. We are considering more state parks and Boondockers welcome where I will be forced to use dump stations, hence my question regarding hose length.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:31 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
Quote:
I typically plan my trip around a campsite with full hookups as the last stop. I currently have a rinoflex 10’ & 15’. I’m speaking of the black tank flush. You dump the black, then flush the black tank with the internal sprinkler prior to emptying the gray. I do this if I will be storing the trailer for any length of time. I do not have a dump at home. We are considering more state parks and Boondockers welcome where I will be forced to use dump stations, hence my question regarding hose length.
Just pull forward more or snake the hose around a bit.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
On our shakedown trip to a Federal CG we were one of the few campers there. That was great, we got to make a lot of mistakes and I was dreading my first tank dump. There were 4 stations, no one there but us. I pulled up to one of them and started dumping. I knew to dump the gray first and as I was doing that I hear the glug------glug-------glug-----glug---glug--glug-glugglugglugglug... NOT GOOD! Yes, it was backing up. I let it go down, tried again, same result. I stopped, moved the hose to another station, took the AS around again to the second station. This time all went well.

We stopped at the ranger station on the way out. "Yeah, we've had trouble with that one. I should probably put up a sign"..... Gee, ya think?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
. . .
. . . I knew to dump the gray first . . .
. . .

Black tank first . . . rinse with gray?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, always the black tank first!

I always clean a bit before I dump, rinsing a little Dawn and PineSol down the drain and filling the grey tank.

Provides a good rinse and clean of the hose after emptying the black.

Maggie
Old 05-24-2021, 05:23 AM   #31
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
we flush the black tank every time, and have developed a routine to accomplish dumping in a fast and efficient manner. One tip, we always check out the dump station before hand, some are a lot better than others and preplan is one way to avoid problems with people watching. Waiting at the dump station is "part of it"
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Black tank first . . . rinse with gray?
Yes, black first, I meant black first. I was having a senior day yesterday. Thanks
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Yes, always the black tank first!

I always clean a bit before I dump, rinsing a little Dawn and PineSol down the drain and filling the grey tank.

Provides a good rinse and clean of the hose after emptying the black.

Maggie
Yes, black first, that was a senior typing moment. Senior moments all day long.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-24-2021, 09:47 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It even gets funnier...I like the one who hooks up to the rinse and walks off....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
This wasn't a dump station but my fav is the guy next to me who watched me dump full tanks and then asked "why don't you just leave those valves open so you don't have to do that"?
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #36
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
OP lives in “no wheresville, AZ” and is worried about dumping tanks at a dump station. Seems to me in that massively desert state which we lived for 23 years, the Saguaro’s could use the fertilizer? We camped at Canyon Point NPS campground on the M. Rim most of the time with a tent trailer and gray water always made it to the forest near our trailer via a fine hose!

However, a 35 minute wait to dump is excessive, frustrating and a “waste” of time! Just leave the valves open on a dirt road, which there are many near Dewey, and let nature take it’s course!

Thank you for the humor, patience and entertainment!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Cedar Hill , Texas
I learned what the "rock" is for from my uncle. (His) fabulous words "What is this rock for?". hahahhahahahahaha

With ever dump, I am still learning something CAN go wrong. I wear gloves and booties.
fthopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #38
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fthopkins View Post
I learned what the "rock" is for from my uncle. (His) fabulous words "What is this rock for?". hahahhahahahahaha

I thought the rock was to be added to Lucys rock collection?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
2 incidents

In 1995 on a trip through Maine we saw a German family filling the fresh water tank in their rental motor home with the hose provided for cleaning the dump station area. You know, the one with no hose connection on the end. Non-potable water sign in clear view.
Last summer in a state park in Iowa saw a guy at the dump station attempt to straddle the concrete block and pulled the trigger to dump there with no hose attached. It wasn’t up on a raised area. Unfortunately we were driving by at the time...that’s a sight I’ll never forget!
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Ever hear of a portable toilet? Thetford Porti-Potty. We had one on a small boat.
There's the top half with the seat and 5 gallons of fresh water, and there's the bottom half with the black tank. The two haves clip together, and the flush mechanism keeps it sealed.
It's emptied by carrying the black half to a regular toilet like you would a suitcase and pouring it out. Works fine, usually.
Except we went out with friends over Thanksgiving, and imagine my surprise at seeing black water in the bowl. That meant the bottom half was overflowing. Now you can't separate the halves (without a shower) and you can't carry the whole thing with a full bowl.
I went to a store and purchased a turkey baster, and spent quite a bit of time transferring a bowl full of black water into a bucket as I recall.
We only had to do that once to learn how much is enough.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote