Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Camping near Tucson (and the Grand Canyon)

I will be in Tucson, AZ off and on this year on business for two weeks at a time. I would like to take my family and the airstream with me once school lets out.

I would like any recommendations for camping in the Tucson area.
Thanks.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

This is our sixth year wintering at Mission View RV Park. (Phone 520-741-1945)
Site widths are quite adequate but all are back-in. You might want to check them out in Woodalls.

The park is in the southwest corner of the Tucson area. It is within two miles of the San Xavier Mission Just off of IS 19 towards Nogales.

It is on the Tohono Oodham indian reservation.

Just one place to look at.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Keep in mind when school lets out, it will be May/June and Tucson will be well into summer conditions with temps hovering around 103 degrees during the day. Nights, the temperatures are pleasant, but you will need A/C. That said, you may want to check out Tucson Mountain Regional Park. This park is a large pristine desert area with one campground set aside for RV's. This campground is quite pleasant, although hookups are for electricity only, but free water and a free dump station are available in the park. I think the cost was about $20 per day. The campground is far enough away from highways, etc where you won't hear traffic noise. And, at that time of the year, it will be lightly used. If your aren't familiar with the desert, this would be a chance to enjoy it up close and personal. The variety of plant and animal life is stunning. You might do a Google search for Tucson Mountain Regional Park for more information.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
South Forty RV Ranch, Tucson

Stayed here a little over a week ago on the way to Vegas. Nothing particularly special about it, pretty cramped. We were only there one night. It looked to be mostly retirees and full-timers, and seemed geared to that demographic. We 're in our late 30's with no kids, but to be honest, we didn't feel particularly welcome. They are considered an adult park, but I think if you have kids and are just passing through, then it is okay to stay. I don't imagine we'll return, though.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Check out Catalina state park

If you can find a site (possibly hard this time of year) Catalina is a nice park. Not right in Tucson though.
-Ken
Old 03-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #6
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Cool Tucson Az.

The best park we camped in Tucson is Western Way R.V. Park. It is on Hwy 86 or Ajo Rd. If you go south on 10 to 19 you will run into Ajo rd or (86). Go to Kenney rd ( 6miles) turn Right or north on Kenney Rd. for about 2 miles. The park will be on your left on Western Way Rd. It is a good Sam park and is listed in your Triler L ife directory. It is only about 2 miles away from Old Tucson Studios.Great place.
Russ 1985 Sovereign.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Old Tucson in nearly in the middle of Tucson Mountain Regional park. About a mile west of the Old Tucson Studios is Gilbert Ray Campground. It is the campground referred to in my earlier post.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Thank y'all so much for the leads on camping in Tucson. I will be in the area soon (by myself this trip) and will check out the places mentioned.

If my family does accompany me later this year, I will probably go home by way of the Grand Canyon. Any ideas up that way?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
silverback is right; Catalina State Park is nice. The problem for some is--it does not have on-site sewer; there is a dump station.

When we stay more than one night at a park, we need sewer. Maybe we are just use a lot of water and make a lot of grey water.

We live here (in Oro Valley) so we haven't stayed in many RV parks here in the area.

Beaudry looks nice (no trees) and Voyager may be nice...but most are "geared" to the retired/older group.

We do not mind basic parks--very basic if they have full hook-ups. You might check out Wishing Well RV Park in Catalina. It is basic. has full hook-ups and is about 5 miles north of Catalina State Park off of Oracle Road (AZ Highway 77) in Catalina.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #10
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Cool Tucson Az.

Hi There, From Tucson you will go to Flagstaf Turn west to Williams. Camp there. There cpuple of camp ground in Williams that are good. If you have time take the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon. This a great trip for young and old. Do not go there in the winter since it has a habit for snowing there and it is cold. The altitude runs about 6500 feet.There is alot to see in Williams. When we were camped there we drove to Sedona. I would not recomend to take the trailer there. Very narrow road and steep.
Have agreat trip Russ !985 Sovereign
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
the ponz--be careful, Williams, AZ is quite a daily commute to Tucson even for two weeks.

Kistler
Old 03-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #12
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
Avoid Tucson's urban blight

Dear Ponz family,
Consider the Patagonia Lake state park, 70 mi. southeast of Tucson. A tolerable commute into town if you have to engage in business matters, but terrific for youngsters. This very quiet park is at 4000+ ft above sea level, and consequently much cooler than Tucson (2000 ft), has a 250 acre lake for swimming, boating and fishing. The surrounding area, mountainous, is among the most scenic in Az., and has abandoned mines & ghost towns, and real cattle ranches.

Also, just 11 miles north of the border to Mexico, a cultural about-face, an educational opportunity to expose your children to the realities of third world commerce; trinkets, smuggling, and real enchiladas.

Most (but not all) trailer parks in or around Tucson can be divided into two categories. The 3M type (marijuana, methamphetamine & mayhem) or those that are geezer friendly. You won't really feel comfortable in the latter unless your children are almost eligible for social security.

Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Tagging on to this old thread, we are interested in finding a campground for a one-week visit in early February. We prefer spacious sites with full hookups, but don't need a resort-like place with clubrooms, shuffleboard, etc. We want to explore the area in and around Tucson and just want a pleasant base of operations. Oh, it must permit dogs too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hi myoung, ..... might consider Wishing Well RV Park in Catalina, AZ -- they are up Oracle Road (AZ Highway 77) not far from Catalina State Park.

There is a new Bashas grocery store in Catalina and a branch Pima County Branch Library (for the kids).

Wishing Well RV Park does have full hook-ups (E, W, S) but is not a glamour spot I/we would stay there but then we are old and life has not be easy .... we NEED full hook-ups. You will be safer than some parks/park locations I will not mention.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 12-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #15
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
Greetings to the Young & Nelson show, from Patagonia, Az

The post of 26March2005 from Dr. C. is still applicable, although the state park offers only 2-way + a dump station.

You might want to consider the Patagonia RV Park, <www.patagoniarvpark.com >, limited to only 18 spaces with few amenities, i.e., three-way hook-up, limited cable tv, laundry, hi-speed wireless, but nothing frivolous except for shade from neighboring pecan, mesquite trees, and serenity.

A small town park, it has a curious, oil/water mixture of residents; quail hunters with fluorescent suspenders, camo clothing, perhaps Cabela camisoles after dark, and handsome bird dogs....and
bird watchers armed with bushnell binoculars, digital camera, a Peterson guide to western birds on the right rump, and a life list on the left.

And the ambivalent ...... that would be us.

The town (pop. 835) < www.patagoniaaz.com > is poor, a landfill in waiting, cool at night, pleasant during the day. Heterogenous, it is not overrun with silver hairs whining about the weather and Part D, there is no traffic, little crime (if you disallow for domestic disputes), good library, small jail, and more saloons than churches. Also winter home to several writers and hundreds of bird species. Or maybe it's the other way around.

In lovely, hikable, high mountain ranch country, you are a scenic drive from Nogales, Sonora Mx (20 miles), Kartchner Caverns (45), Tuscon, if you insist (60), Tombstone, "the town too tough to die" (60), Bisbee, motto;"more tattoos than teeth" (70), and Tubac, "where art and history collide" (45). Additional upsides; not a single franchised food outlet, more that 38 miles to an interstate off-ramp, and 22 miles away from the arkansas big box. Define tranquility.

I could provide a local tour if you like. Regardless of where you decide to land, have a nice holiday season and a pleasant aluminum vacation.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
You might consider staying at Beaudry RV. It's a huge dealership with a large RV park. Premium hookups, a couple of pools, and if you need anything, they have a camping world and are of course the biggest dealership in the area in case something breaks, I am sure they'd be happy to clean you out Beaudry RV Resort, Tucson, Arizona. It has a good central location and you could tour all the state/National parks from there and still be close to malls and restaurants at the end of the day.

Tucson stuck it to all the RVr's a few years back with a tax to pay for a baseball stadium for spring training for a bunch of pampered pro athletes (I guess you can see where I stood on this issue). That put a pretty good dent in the winter RV vister crowd from what I understand.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcharles2
The post of 26March2005 from Dr. C. is still applicable, although the state park offers only 2-way + a dump station.

You might want to consider the Patagonia RV Park, <Patagonia RV Park >, limited to only 18 spaces with few amenities, i.e., three-way hook-up, limited cable tv, laundry, hi-speed wireless, but nothing frivolous except for shade from neighboring pecan, mesquite trees, and serenity.
Ixnay on Patagonia. That is a prime destination for folks from Tucson and the surrounding area. It will be sold out by about noon on Thursday of every week with RVs in the parking lot with no where else to go. There is some confusion on state parks and reservations. Safford does and I think most do not, but you would need to call each one. Either way, definitely not a destination to plan on.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
South of Tuson, near Green Valley is a federal campgound in Madera Canyon. It's a favorate place of mine!!
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Beaudry RV, parking lot that it is, is quite close to the AS dealer in Tucson.(I can't remember the name.) Well equipped dealer, with a very shabby appearance.

I stayed at Tucson Meadows RV, for about a month last winter. Slightly more than a parking lot. Not a bad place, friendly folks, quiet, well equiped, and had great place to walk the dog along the river (Pantano Wash, no water)

T
tamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The dealer is Oasis RV, located on Benson Hwy, not far from the airport. The place is not much to look at, but they have a good parts and service department.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote