Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Cool Campground sticker shock!

I'm still getting sticker shock as I look at some campground websites! Just got a newslatter today informing me the rates are now $46 per night! Wow! And that's for two adults! Yup, they offer lots of things, two pools, tennis, gawd knows what else..... more than I want for sure.
Maybe I don't 'get' it...... when we park for the night or a few days, my needs are pretty basic; my dogs are welcome, large enough spot for our 31+ feet Airstream and 20 foot long van (and it's okay by us if they have to separated if more than an overnite) 30 amp service, and a dump station. Ideally, for more than an overnight, there would also be some sort of hard surface patio area, some grass, some shade, nobody warped out of shape when we put up the dog enclosures, water and sewer.
Maybe my problem is I see our Airstream as more of a mobile hotel room with the comforts of home....... not to say we don't enjoy spending a few days here or there and just relaxing! But we're for the most part, pretty self sufficient and travel with dogs, not kids so don't need lots of activities. We enjoy sitting around and visiting more than an organized trail hike. Although we're still young enough to wander off into the woods and..... study nature!
Good grief! And some people wonder why so many folks overnight at truck stops, Wal Marts, etc. Yup, I do wonder why so few places offer just the basics...... for a reduced fee, of course!
Wow! Any of you willing to pony up and pay $46 for an overnight? What do you do to get around that kind of thing?
And for whatever it's worth, for an overnight at a campground, we do not put up our dog pens... we might pull out the awning, toss the chairs outside, even have a fire on occasion, just sit back and enjoy! For a typical overnight, we pull in, level, lower the stab jacks, put the awning out, fix dinner, exercise the dogs always (and I mean ALWAYS!) picking up after them, and just sorta enjoy the evening, chatting with anyone who comes by....

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-25-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Wow ... $46 a night? Where is this palace?

No ... I would not pay that much. Currently we are paying $130 for a week in Mount Shasta ... we have found prices hitting $25 to $30 per night in California at some very nice places ... and we consider that very expensive.

Weekly is the way to go if you have the time to slow down. We have noticed that California seems to be more expensive than most states. Right now we are looking at places in Oregon ... and see lower rates overall than the Golden State.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The campground owners also need to look at gas prices. I can see plans changing, shorter tips, fewer trips, state or national park destinations if families (especially) are looking at big jumps in both expenses. NO WAY would I pay $46 to stay overnight, that is cheap motels pricing, and they have to vacuum, clean and wash linens. I will stay at one of them and let the motel worry about the mess or at a truck stop/Walmart first.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Ahhhh. Now I see..... I went back to the site http://www.campusa.com/ny/evergree/
and noticed that 'magic' word......
RESORT
!!!!!!!!
Don't have a clue how I ended up on their email lists.....

EiI
Old 05-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Thumbs up

They must think the place is awesome, $28 a night to pitch a tent there, that looks like no water or electric, must be a maid to turn down the sleeping bag.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
I just made reservations yesterday at the Grand Canyon for the following:
2 nights at Phantom Ranch via muleback, and 6 nights at the Park's RV Park. We will drive up one day, rest one day, do the mule thing, rest one day, do the mule thing in reverse, rest one day, and go home. That means the trailer will sit empty for 3 days. The total for the trailer park for 6 nights is $154 (which I ound very reasonable con$idering the location). That may sound crazy since we won't even use the trailer 2 nights, but the room rates at the lodges are from $120 on up per night. Sounds like a bargain to me, and the trailer will be in a relatively secure location while we're gone.

There may be some inexpensive places to stay in CA, but they wouldn't be in areas I'd want to be. Sounds snobbish, huh? What I mean is that we like to stay in places like Panamint Springs - off the beaten path places that are expensive because it is expensive for the owners to live and play host out beyond the boonies.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
state parks

I prefer to stay in the State and County Parks here in northern Calif. They are almost always in beautiful locations with lots of hiking trails and views. This past weekend we were on the coast north of Bodega Bay in a county park Fri nite for $17 and then Saturday at a state park in the redwoods on 128 for $14. Both had dump stations but no hookups, which is how I like it. Mostly smaller trailers, a few pickup campers and lots of people tent camping.

Unfortunately it is getting to be the time of year when reservations will be required, especially on the coast and on weekends. Even at that, if one has flexibility in their schedule and can leave in the middle of the week or early Friday, you can still find spots without too much hassle at campgrounds and parks that do not take reservations for all of their sites. And of course the Eastern side of the state and Oregon have more availability.

I can't imagine paying more than $20 and being in an RV park where people are parked close together and you hear generators running.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Here's a link to a wealth of good camping information~Some are free, others are cheaper than 46$ per night~!
Say hi to my buddy Dutch, if you see him`
http://www.desertdutch.org/
In addition, here's a list of BLM out West~!
BLM listing out West
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:51 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
On our trip through the redwoods a couple weeks ago, it was getting late and we hadn't picked a spot yet. We aimed for Humbolt SP only to find it was closed. We continued on, passing by RV parks that were full of live-ins that didn't look very good to us. Finally it was dark and we pulled into Redcrest Resort, only to find it was $36 a night - the most I've EVER paid to stay anywhere! But it was dark and we hadn't seen a Walmart in miles, so we paid it. All we did was cook some soup and go to sleep, and hit the road early the next morning. We had a good laugh - saying the prices probably go up the later it gets!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
MTPalms,

I have reservations at Panamint Springs for Christmas time! Can't wait to be in the desert again! It's so unbelieveably beautiful in the morning. No light pollution, no noise pollution- just relief for the senses!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
The prices on the coast around here are simply terrible. And it is pretty universal, even for county parks. The KOA Monterey Bay is a beautiful campground in a perfect location but it is......$55 a night! No kidding. Other RV parks are similar price. Even the county park of Laguna Seca charges $30 a night and it's only water/electric sites. But than again, a cheap motel on the coast costs over $200 a night. Only the rich can afford to stay on the coast.

Come rally with us.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
On our trip through the redwoods a couple weeks ago, it was getting late and we hadn't picked a spot yet. We aimed for Humbolt SP only to find it was closed. We continued on, passing by RV parks that were full of live-ins that didn't look very good to us. Finally it was dark and we pulled into Redcrest Resort, only to find it was $36 a night - the most I've EVER paid to stay anywhere! But it was dark and we hadn't seen a Walmart in miles, so we paid it. All we did was cook some soup and go to sleep, and hit the road early the next morning. We had a good laugh - saying the prices probably go up the later it gets!
Stefrobrts,
Was Humbolt SP closed, or just for the night?
The reason I asked is, several years back while visiting some friends in Eureka, we flew over the Humbolt SP location while flying in a Beech Baron, and the view was simply out of this world~! We flew into SteelHead Lodge for dinner..If you ever get a chance, I HIGHLY recommand the the "1/2 Rack of lamb"..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
The prices on the coast around here are simply terrible. And it is pretty universal, even for county parks. The KOA Monterey Bay is a beautiful campground in a perfect location but it is......$55 a night! No kidding. Other RV parks are similar price. Even the county park of Laguna Seca charges $30 a night and it's only water/electric sites. But than again, a cheap motel on the coast costs over $200 a night. Only the rich can afford to stay on the coast.
You hit it right on, Dee. Supply and demand. If they can get $55/nite and are still full, they'll charge $55/nite. They just won't charge ME $55/nite. After living in CA for nearly 25 years, I'm at the point where I won't step foot in the state any more. We pay $15/nite at state parks in IA, and between $7.50 and $10/nite at most county parks with electric and water. I just reserved a site at Adventureland in Des Moines for mid-June to attend a wedding and I think it was $27/nite.

Since the older I get, the more aversion I have to packed tourist traps, I end up looking for out-of-the way, unpopulated campgrounds. I may not get the majestic scenery, or have the pool with the waterslides, but I'm beginning to cherish the ability to 'get away' to somewhere quiet. As much as I love Santa Barbara, Monterey, Morro Bay, the Mendocino coastline, Humboldt Bay, Ukiah, Eureka, the Redwoods, and a host of other places up and down the CA coast, I'll probably not return as long as the state's as crowded as it is. I guess quiet and space are more important to me.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Now you make me worried. One of our trips in the future was going to be that drive up the California, Oregon, and Washington coast, camping in the AS, and taking our time. Your post makes it seem not as inviting as we thought it would be. What is a best time of year to make such a trip, when weather is good but crowds are down--or is there such a combination? We land locked Missourians think it sounds like a great trip, but you who are out there or have lived there, know the scoop. Please advise-tips, warnings, and so on. Maybe others are interested too. Thanks.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Without a doubt, the best time to cruise up the California coast is the fall. The fog is usually gone (a biggie), the crowds are gone, and the weather is unbelieveable. Be prepared for awe inspiring views! Sept/Oct are just beautiful on the coast. Also, you will have no problem with getting sites without reservations (impossible in summer).

The prices will get better as you get away from the population zones. Don't let the price stop you- EVERYONE should drive the west coast at least once in their lives. Few places on Earth like Big Sur or redwood groves up north.

The Oregon State Parks on the coast are some of the nicest anywhere in the country. Can't go wrong in any of them. So go do it, you won't be sorry!

Come rally with us.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
West coast

I agree with Big Dee. I went to Graduate school there in Monterey at the Naval Postgraduate school. The last six months of school, I bought my Limited and lived in it while finishing my thesis; I was at the Monterey Pines campground, the Navy's military campground on the golf course behind the farigrounds there in Monterey on whole #12 for $12 a night (military - this is an awesome little place right there in Monterey, new in 97). I used to mountain bike at Laguna Seca alot, and I wish I was there on the west coast now....a great place for a rally. Have fun out there at it. From 96-97, I lived in Big Sur, and yes, the coast is awesome. I'd love to take my Caravel up the Old Coast highway, from the Bixby Creek bridge, south to Big Sur, stopping in the red woods to enjoy the scenary. I used to bike that 12 mile route too....Wish I could be there.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:33 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
If anyone is traveling South on I75 in Florida, by all means stop at High Springs Campground at exit 404. $20+tax per night, full hookups,(good water pressure!) pool, GREAT showers, and a laundry. It is a small place, quiet, lots of shade. In fact, every site is shaded.
I spent almost 4 months there. Paid $195 a month, plus electric, which ran around $25.
I really hated to leave there, but we have a new house, er mansion, now.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ouch! How much do these people think that a lowly campground-owner-on-vacation can pay for a site, anyway? ( ).

In all truth, some of them do get out of line, in my view. Last month we traveled over to the Grand Canyon and stayed at the RV park in Tusayan, outside of the south entrance. New owners, appearently. They've doubled their rates: We paid $44/night + tax for a water-electric site (no sewer). To make matters worse, the place was pretty dirty, and the dump station was covered with nice, dried human feces; the water faucet at the dump station was out of service. Ugh!

Personally, I hope that the new owners listened just a little to the many complaints that were voiced even while we were there. We've heard from others of our guests here that the place used to be relatively clean and reasonably priced.

Lynn
Old 05-25-2004, 05:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Mtpalms:
$154 for 6 nights is only what? A little over 25 bucks a night? Not too bad considering where you are.

53FlyingCloud:
Thanks for those links!

And for all of us, remember, with a Golden Eagle or Golden Access card, fees at all national parks and other federal fees for CoE, BLM, etc, are one half off!

So, like if you want to camp at Sugarbottoms, 85MH325, it will be half off, making it a REALLY great deal! LOL

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-25-2004, 06:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think its a little more than supply and demand - its a return on a campground owners investment - if they don't get a decent margin, might as well just keep money in the bank. With the change is ownership, I suspect the new owners paid dearly for their campground.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote