Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2003, 06:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Shock Replacement Time?

Hey guys, I have a question on shocks specific to Motorhomes.

I tried to locate a recent thread on shocks, but the only ones I found were about a year old.

I have been unable to locate the replacement of any of the shocks in the maintenance history of the 1987 345, so at 16 years and 72,000 miles I suspect that it is about time.

I can set up a rocking (rolling) cycle by utilizing the entranceway step, two or three load cycles establishes a movement of about one half inch measured at the step bottom. The roll cycle will then continue for about four more cycles before no movement is discernable.

Two questions:

1 –
Is this continued rolling movement (4 cycles) serious enough to indicate worn shocks, and,

2 –
After I have the first shock off, what would an “unacceptable for further duty” test be?

I know the amount of work and time I am looking at, it would make no sense at all to go back on with an old shock, but I was just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for a P-30 type of shock that would indicate excessive wear, say 1” of immediate movement with a 100 pound force applied?

Anyone have any sources for (or thoughts on) a good Bilstein shock for the rear (tag axel) suspension, or an experienced based suggestion for the front spring assisted shocks?

Thanks

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up shocks

Dennis

I don't know the formular for shock changes but if you go the Bilstien route here is where I got mine. This outfit is thumbs up as far as price & service. I recently installed them on my MH (not an A/S).

http://www.shocksonline.com/bilstein...ocks.asp?make='FORD'&model='E350,%20E450'&year='1998'

The page will open to my MH specs. I'm sure you can navagate the site to the P30 specs.

Steve

Another link.....front end assist etc.

http://www.timbren.com/
want310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 07:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up shocks

Dennis

I don't know the formular for shock changes but if you go the Bilstien route here is where I got mine. This outfit is thumbs up as far as price & service. I recently installed them on my MH (not an A/S).

http://www.shocksonline.com/bilstein...ocks.asp?make='FORD'&model='E350,%20E450'&year='1998'

The page will open to my MH specs. I'm sure you can navagate the site to the P30 specs.

Steve
want310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey,

If you are going with Bilstiens, I can can tell you that I found a place on the web, I got 4 for dirt cheap.

shox.com

I in no way represent this company, I just heard of it from the car club forums. You will be shocked- no pun intended, on how cheaply they sell the Bilsteins for....

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote