Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Brakes not clunking

Hi all, just looking for some advice.
I have a 1960 Avion H24, with 12" electric brakes, I've put new shoes and magnets on, and they are working fine, i use the Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller to keep within the law in UK. when i first installed new parts i did a direct 12v from battery to test and got the familiar "clunk" when the magnets pull onto the hub. but now when using i dont ever hear the clunk even when testing breakaway device. Is this ok ? brakes are working fine with the TV and I've even used the boost button and used the trailer to stop the TV and all is ok, as you can imagine theres not many in the uk with electors brake let alone with a 55 year old trailer!!! so can some kind soul chip in with some knowledge.
Cheers
Tim
Ps they don't seem to be binding, aft a 100+ mile journey they were only slightly warm to the touch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6134.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	250420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6135.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	250421  

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The brakes are self adjusting and the clunk was due to too much free movement in the system when new. Now they do not have as far to go and engage smoothly.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Also... when you energize directly with 12 VDC, there is a lot of current draw so you will get the 'slam' of the brake magnet. When running your brake controller, it varies the power applied so you will get smoother contacting.

If you pull the 'breakaway' switch you should get full, instant engagement of all brake magnets... and a possible 'clunk'..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote