Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Black Rock Mountain State Park GA.

Has anyone camped at Black Rock Mountain State Park in Clayton, GA? We drove through there once before we owned a trailer, but even then I was wondering how difficult it would be to maneuver around there--pretty tight in places as I remember. Very beautuful views, and cool temps, even in summer.

Wondering what it is like to camp there.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have tent camped a few times there. It is a nice park with very clean facility's just like most of the Georgia Parks. As for the tight places I would think it would be OK even with my Dodge long WB and my 31' but I have not tried it. Maybe you can call the park.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
An older campground directory that I looked at, limited RV size to "smaller" units. This is from an old Woodalls guide.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Highest SP in Georgia

To give some perspective on how severe the Southeast drought has been;
this notice is posted on the state's web site:
Georgia State Parks - Black Rock Mountain State Park

WATER ALERT: Due to drought and dry wells, water is not available in the campground. All campground comfort stations, showers, flush toilets and water spigots are not working. Portable toilets available. Campers should bring all water they need during their visit. Water levels are low in cottages as well, and if water supply fails, cottage visitors will be required to check out. Refunds will be available.

Ga. state park web sites have maps but no detail with size of rv sites at Blackrock.
Best to call the park directly.

Description from another web site:

Black Rock Mountain State Park, named for its sheer cliffs of dark granite, has the distinction of being Georgia's highest state park. It stretches over 3 miles along the Eastern Continental Divide, the spine of the southern Blue Ridge Mountains. Containing six different peaks above 3,000 feet in elevation, it covers more than 1,800 acres. From park overlooks on a clear day, visitors may enjoy views extending for more than 80 miles. Among the areas of the southern Appalachians visible are the Nantahala Mountains, the Cowee Range, and, on especially clear days, the Great Smoky Mountains.
The park is noted for its many spring wildflowers, including several varieties of trillium, violets, bloodroot, and flame azalea. In early summer, masses of mountain laurel and rhododendron are in bloom. In the fall, leaves of oak, maple, sourwood, and other deciduous trees and shrubs create a spectacular blaze of yellow, orange, and red. Evergreens present a contrasting note. Goldenrod and other fall blooms add to the show. The most common natural environment in the park is a deciduous hardwood slope forest with red oaks dominant. Chestnut oaks in drier places and white oaks in certain areas lend diversity.
Animals in the park include gray squirrels, chipmunks, opossums, black bears, foxes, woodchucks, bobcats, skunks, and occasional deer. There are wild turkey, ruffed grouse, and, in season, many songbirds. The park's visitor center features an observation deck, wildlife exhibits, a log cabin exhibit, trail maps, and handicapped-accessible restrooms. Nature guides, raised-relief maps, hiking-trail guides, and books about mountain culture and area attractions are also available. Park rangers are on duty to answer visitors' questions. Special events include a spring wildflower program in May or June and an overnight backpacking trip in the fall.

Hopefully the rain we have been blessed with during Jan. will help the situation.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Blackrock State Park / update

Since the last post we are in better shape regarding rainfall.
We decided to visit the mountains this week and Blackrock is a very interesting park. I would not recommend for 34 footers but the 24 ft. Argosy was very comfortable on the narrow site roads and parking. It is a steep 1 mile climb up to the park with lots of hairpin curves but if you have been in the mountains before this is nothing new.
It was very quiet since we were there during the week. Very few campers. Wonderful weather. Morning temps in the 40s at 3,600 ft. elev.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRSP0310~03.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	102977  

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote