Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 AM   #21
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Thanks...where is the construction on 89? If heading north to Canada this year, I gather you advise going on the west side?
I just drove through that area 15 July, leaving the east park entrance to drive back to Kalispell. To say they are moving heaven and earth might be an understatement. 89 to 49 to 2 is challenging without a trailer, but many single lanes, big road construction, dirt, gravel, delays, overturned earthmover, etc. By the time we got to 2, was okay, just long and no fun.
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 AM   #22
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
If I remember correctly, the turnoff at Kiowa was the beginning of the construction. Going east to Browning then back west on 2 should miss it.
My 20'9" RAM truck feels real large on the Going to the Sun road. But a nice drive.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #23
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Thanks...where is the construction on 89? If heading north to Canada this year, I gather you advise going on the west side?
Between St. Mary and Browning. Depending on how far east you want to go, Inerstate 15 to Sweetgrass is a good option. Otherwise, I'd do 93 on the west side . . .
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Gig Harbor , Washington
HWY 93. I have done so twice. Once with a 38' fiberglass box trailer and once with our 30' flying cloud. It is slow near Radium Hot Springs, but fine everywhere else. You cannot traverse the Going to the Sun road with your trailers/vehicles in tow.
kajmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grumpy View Post
For those of you that are familiar with the Glacier NP area, what should I expect the weather to be like in mid- to late-September? I would like to travel through that area on my way from Boise, ID back to Atlanta. I will leave Boise on September 16th. Should I expect to see freezing temperatures?
Grumpy, you shouldn't "expect" to see them, but you might. Most of your stay will be at lower elevations, but it is Montana. The last two weeks of September can be golden - "Indian Summer" in the classic sense with warm, even hot days and cool nights. And, yes, it may get into the 30's, even the low 30's and even in the the high 20's. But your Airstream should be able to handle it, if you're plugged into power! The issue is more likely, can you!

The scenery, spectacular anytime, can be especially pretty with fall colors of golden Larch and Aspen. Just watch the weather and you'l be fine. You'll get a sense of what it is depending on how you come from Boise. Up 95 to US12 over to US93 and up the Flathead to Glacier - there will be at least one or two nights that will give you a sense of what the nights will be in Glacier.

You can angle down the east side toward Great Falls and Bozeman then over toward South Dakota - depending on your route, Yellowstone is an option, or if not, Little Bighorn Battlefield (where Custer got his Arrow shirt), Devils Tower, Rushmore, the Badlands (and the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site right off the interstate) all can make for a great trip back home.

It sounds like a spectacular trip!
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Calgary , Alberta
I would go east from Banff, south on Hwy 40 through Kananaskis, over the Highwood Pass, out to Longview, then south on Highway 22, east on Hwy 3, south on Hwy 6 to the border crossing at Chief Mountain. But that’s just the preference of a local.
Oldtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #27
Ronald Witherspoon

1974 29' Ambassador
Shawnigan Lake , British Columbia
Send a message via Skype™ to RWitherspoon
Exclamation Livestock, wind and snow

We have camped at Banff in September only to wake up to 6 inches of snow, but the highways had enough latent heat there were no issues, had some great hikes in snow. We were startled by cattle on the road shortly after crossing the US border, and heard from a friend in the Browning area that trucks can get blown of the highway, so don't chance travelling when it gets windy.
I love motorcycling in these areas.
RWitherspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Idaho
Hope you are enjoying Boise. Yes, you will get overnight freezes in early September, plan on it anyway.
CarneyIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:27 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
calgary , Alberta
I will have to watch out for you as you go through the Calgary Banff area. Enjoy the trip
alberta paso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Banff and Jasper is on our list so feel free to post lots of pictures would love to follow along. (Won't be able to drive with the AS there for a few years as still working full time and live in FL.) However we visited Glacier a few years back (in my top 3 NP list.) and spent a week there could've spent so much longer. Also if you have a chance to go up to Waterton National Park make time even if it is for a side overnight trip. It is gorgeous. We ate breakfast at the Prince of Wales hotel and had a killer view! Also if you like coconut pie the best coconut pie I ever had was in West Village by Glacier. It had so much coconut. Schedule the red bus tour it is a nice way to see the Going to Sun Rd while learning a lot of history about Glacier. Gypsydad you're so lucky to live so close!
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #31
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Just did that last week

Come down 93, the scenery is better

3 more suggestions: buy the GyPSy guide apps for the areas you are visiting, stay at Moose Creek campground and ask for a buddy site with one of your friends in the site with you.

Take the Macdonald falls hike. Skip the Jones lake loop.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote