Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
At Home Freeze Dryers

Has anyone tried one of those new (relatively) freeze dryers for consumer use ? Seems like it would be very convenient to have a large stock of food (fruits, veg, meat) that needed no refrigeration while on the road.
Rusty.
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
No, but I often use an ordinary electric dehydrator to dry fruits and vegetables. The dried foods keep for years if stored well, and are light, compact, and convenient both home and traveling. Ours is a cheapie Nesco dehydrator purchased at Walmart 10 or 11 years ago for about $40 dollars, not counting extra drying trays.

This works really well for sliced tomatoes (not technically sun-dried but close,) and dried tomato puree which turns into a kind of leather. Just tear off pieces to put into your cooking pot to reconstitute as tomato paste.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I really need one of these 'cause I always eat the dried strawberries out of the Special K first.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
I'm one step lazier than Len. I just use my convection oven. It came with a magnet - about the size of a C or D battery - that props the door open while depressing the door sensor. The convection only runs at 145 or 170 (I think? There's two settings) depending on your needs. It's a great solution that doesn't require small appliance storage 😜
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
...This works really well for sliced tomatoes (not technically sun-dried but close,) and dried tomato puree which turns into a kind of leather. Just tear off pieces to put into your cooking pot to reconstitute as tomato paste.
Not sun dried, much better, no flies landing on the tomatoes while they dry. :-)
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
merrick , New York
freeze drying v. dehydrating

I don't know any freeze dryers for consumer use. I 'd be interested to know more. Dehydrating and freeze drying are two different things. Freeze dried foods usually require dry ice, are much more stable and have a very long shelf life.
babs4008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
https://harvestright.com/store/

Only $3000.

Don't have one.

Kelvin
Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you come across an Amish grocery, especially a larger one such as in Shipshewanna, IN, they have every imaginable fruit and vegetable, already dehydrated and sold at very good prices.

Nice to keep on hand to add to soups, things like potatoes, corn, mushrooms, etc.

Maggie
Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
There are lots of prepper online sites too that sell freeze dried foods. Sign of the times.

Kelvin
Old 06-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Having eaten our share of freeze dried backpacker foods in days of yore, we're pretty happy with our $40 Nesco dehydrator. We've never had problems of food spoiling, even after a few years, but we do make sure stuff is dry to the point of being brittle before packing it in unbreakable (for camping) plastic screw-top jars. We've not dehydrated ready-to-eat meals, but then $3K seems like a lot to spend for that kind of convenience.

BTW, kale chips are really fast and easy, and a lot cheaper than the health food store version: wash and tear the kale off the stems and ribs, into large pieces. Massage a little olive oil into them and season as you wish. A bit of soy sauce might be all you need. Dry till crispy.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Kale chips are the biggest lie the internet ever told. Don't be fooled by Big Kale! 😛
Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I tried kale for the first time a few nights ago. Nastiest crap I have eaten in a long time. Will not be eating it again.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I tried kale for the first time a few nights ago. Nastiest crap I have eaten in a long time. Will not be eating it again.
Hear, hear! It's like eating the sponge I just cleaned the bathroom with!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Well, you guys don't know what's good. Or somebody didn't cook it properly. Next time, sauté some bacon & onions, add kale leaves that have been washed and removed from the stems and ribs. If you must add any water, do just a small amount. Or try a raw kale-based salad. But it's fine if you give kale a miss-- all the more crispy kale chips for them as likes 'em.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Anything that is "good" for you tastes bad. My parents had the right idea. They hardly ate out, cooked moderate portions of fish, meat and poultry with vegetables and hardly had any processed food.. They were never over weight. Dad lived to be 97 1/2 and mom is still with us at 94 and not on any medication. Maybe if Mom hadn't smoked for 76 years she wouldn't have dementia now.

Kelvin
Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
I actually quite like sautéed kale or putting some in salad. I even planted in my garden this year.

It's just kale chips that offend my delicate palate 👍
Old 06-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
Top 10 Health Benefits of Eating Kale

Besides being yummy ...

Kale is being called “the new beef”, “the queen of greens” and “a nutritional powerhouse.” Here are ten great benefits of adding more kale to your diet:

1. Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat.

One cup of kale has only 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat. It is great for aiding in digestion and elimination with its great fiber content. It’s also filled with so many nutrients, vitamins, folate and magnesium as well as those listed below.

2. Kale is high in iron.

Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef. Iron is essential for good health, such as the formation of hemoglobin and enzymes, transporting oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth, proper liver function and more.

3. Kale is high in Vitamin K.

Eating a diet high in Vitamin K can help protect against various cancers. It is also necessary for a wide variety of bodily functions including normal bone health and blood clotting. Also increased levels of vitamin K can help people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.

4. Kale is filled with powerful antioxidants.

Antioxidants, such as carotenoids and flavonoids help protect against various cancers.

5. Kale is a great anti-inflammatory food.

One cup of kale is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids, which help, fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.

6. Kale is great for cardiovascular support.

Eating more kale can help lower cholesterol levels.

7. Kale is high in Vitamin A.

Vitamin A is great for your vision, your skin as well as helping to prevent lung and oral cavity cancers.

8. Kale is high in Vitamin C.

This is very helpful for your immune system, your metabolism and your hydration.

9. Kale is high in calcium.

Per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk, which aids in preventing bone loss, preventing osteoporosis and maintaining a healthy metabolism. Vitamin C is also helpful to maintain cartilage and joint flexibility

10. Kale is a great detox food.

Kale is filled with fiber and sulfur, both great for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy.
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I like the quinoa and kale packs from Costco. Delicious.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mud is still mud no matter how you spice it up. There is absolutely no way I would put that crap in my mouth again.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Well, you guys don't know what's good. Or somebody didn't cook it properly. Next time, sauté some bacon & onions, add kale leaves that have been washed and removed from the stems and ribs. If you must add any water, do just a small amount. Or try a raw kale-based salad. But it's fine if you give kale a miss-- all the more crispy kale chips for them as likes 'em.
If you have to add bacon to make it palatable, might as well just eat the bacon.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote