Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
there are plenty of 70 and 75 mph speed limits in NM and CO. but we never tow that fast. I have been told that most TT tires are only rated for 62 sustained speed. so we go between 60-65, normally on the high side of that range.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:19 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I upgraded to the Michelin 16" 80psi tires before our East Coast trip. The inside of the trailer looked like an earthquake hit it when we got home.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Why so fast? Well:
Quote:
I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', says I need you here
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear
When she is lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable comin' in from above
Don't need no phone at all
Old 11-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
BTW, I thought the Airstream towed like a dream.
But no matter how smooth the road, there's a place where the road meets a bridge, or a section has been repaired and the trailer hits a dip. I thought the ride was good, until I opened the closet and found most of the hangers jumped off the bar and were laying on the bottom. Wild ride inside?
That's why I don't drive 70.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I drive the speed limit when it is reasonable and prudent to do so.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Trailer tires have a speed limit of around 65 mph so if you travel faster than the max limit any thing can and will happen. If you want to get there fast buy an airline ticket. RVing is to enjoy and see this great country of ours. I have LT tires that are limited to only 118 mph that only see 60 to 65 at max. Check out the stopping distance at 80 pulling a trailer. About half way across Texas.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #47
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
The new Goodyear Endurance ST tire is "N" speed rated which is 87 mph. I've put close to 5,000 miles on my set and like the speed limit cushion versus the 65mph products but still run 62-64 mph for fuel consumption, safety margin, and enjoying the panorama.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
I try not to an impediment to the flow of traffic. I can empathize with car drivers stuck behind a motor home or trailer, going below the speed limit.

I mainly stay in the slow lane on multi lane highways. And will do the speed limit or a little more, on two lane highways.

Sweet spot is fairly wide 55-70, dependent on conditions

We are ex sailors, so we are used to stowing our gear underway. Haven’t experienced the ‘earthquake effect’ in our trailer, yet.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
You can try all you want not to be an "impediment to traffic" but car drivers can't stay in one lane for more than five seconds (neither can some RV drivers). There will always be a percentage that will need to pass a vehicle they can't see around. I do my best to stay out of people's way but you have to drive your own car and not worry about others.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #50
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
You can try all you want not to be an "impediment to traffic" but car drivers can't stay in one lane for more than five seconds (neither can some RV drivers). There will always be a percentage that will need to pass a vehicle they can't see around. I do my best to stay out of people's way but you have to drive your own car and not worry about others.
Dude,

Driving is a video game. Pass the big trucks and RVs. Slow down just ahead. Others will join up, in both lanes, and Moron Mass is achieved. Huge points! So, if you “need” a magic one ton to haul a 25’ or 27’ you, too, can crowd the bumpers ahead in this exciting game with a free phone app!!

See this as a constant. No one behind me a half mile, but the dimbulbs now dead ahead when just a few minutes ago there was no one out ahead of me. So, cancel cruise and drift downwards to get that 700+ feet back.

What’s a good speed? When you’re not changing lanes or braking. It’s that simple. The risk is not slower speed, but the above.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Dude,

Driving is a video game. Pass the big trucks and RVs. Slow down just ahead. Others will join up, in both lanes, and Moron Mass is achieved. Huge points! So, if you “need” a magic one ton to haul a 25’ or 27’ you, too, can crowd the bumpers ahead in this exciting game with a free phone app!!

See this as a constant. No one behind me a half mile, but the dimbulbs now dead ahead when just a few minutes ago there was no one out ahead of me. So, cancel cruise and drift downwards to get that 700+ feet back.

What’s a good speed? When you’re not changing lanes or braking. It’s that simple. The risk is not slower speed, but the above.
I tow with a one ton but I'm not afflicted with the constant lane changing neurosis that plagues so many (yes trucks too). When I see a lot of blinker use I avoid that person (or persons). It's saved me a lot of grief over the years.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #52
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I tow with a one ton but I'm not afflicted with the constant lane changing neurosis that plagues so many (yes trucks too). When I see a lot of blinker use I avoid that person (or persons). It's saved me a lot of grief over the years.
I use one also. But the need wasn’t imaginary for solo or towing. A car can do it without the load in the bed.

The speed which keeps the big trucks moving around me and the cars waaay out ahead works fine. Given RV distance of daily travel, there’s no penalty (is the funny part).

And though it looks like neurosis, it’s stupidity. Stupified drivers.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Most things can be boiled down to a few simple words that most people can grasp. One of my continuous goals in driving is simply not to drive like a d!ck.

For those who do drive like d!cks, there are the aggressive kind, and there are the passive aggressive kind.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I use one also. But the need wasn’t imaginary for solo or towing. A car can do it without the load in the bed.

The speed which keeps the big trucks moving around me and the cars waaay out ahead works fine. Given RV distance of daily travel, there’s no penalty (is the funny part).

And though it looks like neurosis, it’s stupidity. Stupified drivers.

Hi

This can be a regional sort of thing. In some areas, the "I'm not passing" speed is below 45 MPH. (Yes, if they had bigger engines, they wouldn't need to slow down quite that far. Out here, they cheap out on power plants) There is traffic in the other lanes at > 80 MPH. If you are down at 40, the "moron mass" is busy forming around you ....

The biggest hazard *is* the mass of idiots. The method of avoiding that may involve slowing down to 55 MPH. It may involve briefly speeding up to 65 MPH. Conditions vary. Tactics must vary to match. The risk is that 62 goes to 65 goes to 67 goes to 70 and on up. The key is the word briefly.

Is 65 (or 55 or 45 ...) to fast to go? That depends on a whole lot of things. Wind / weather is one of them. Visibly is another. Road condition is a third. None of them are constants. What works on the one calm day of the year in Kansas does not work in a blizzard in Vermont. Unless you are Superman with x-ray vision, that curve ahead *is* an issue. If you are in Pennsylvania don't count on the road being adequately paved unless you can *see* that it is . None of this involves your 5 ton TV, your 4' long trailer, or your absolutely perfect hitch. Yes those get into it, but less than you might think.

Lots of variables ....

Bob
Old 12-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bob, the only difference in your area is commuters. I agree with the picture, as they really screw it up in there. Still, as always, average speed depends on traffic volume. The control is still spacing.

The fact is that across the nation the cars want to run at or above the upper posted limit. One wants to be below that to avoid the majority of risk.

Where traffic volume is heavy, then there’s not going to be a way around the 64-mph governed big trucks jamming up against each other. (Accept that part).

Getting past Carlisle or other PA minor cities is just to wait it out. Getting into the passing lane prematurely is not a gain. Not offseting.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
driving speed

I tend to average approximately 5 mph less than the speed limit, with the exception of the interstate system where the limit is 70: i tend to be in the 62 mph range. I find at those ranges, traffic in front of me and those entering the lanes tend to pull away from me, requiring less braking and accelerating and giving me more buffering ahead. At that speed, only occasionally do I need move into the center lane for merging traffic, when there are more than a few getting on. On single lane roads, I try to go more the speed limit, but those are usually in the 45-55 area, so as not to slow the line of traffic down. At all times however, I try to maintain spacing in the front as my biggest concern is stopping and avoiding distance.

In my short RV career, this seems to have worked well, so far.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Buffalo , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Why so fast? Well:

For me, 5 under most of the time...I enjoy watch frustrated folks on the interstate, driving pathetically to reach their “destination” without “smelling the roses.” Stopping a heavy 34’ is another reason.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
I upgraded to the Michelin 16" 80psi tires before our East Coast trip. The inside of the trailer looked like an earthquake hit it when we got home.

The higher the speed the higher the risk of not being able to control a blowout or respond to sudden changes in the traffic situation ahead of you. Everyone has their own risk vs. reward profile. And the profiles are dramatically different. (I have had white boxes and airstreams pass me going 75 mph plus.). My max speed is 65. My average speed is probably close to 62 mph.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As an aside, just remember that the speed of an Airstream should not exceed 1.803e+12 furlongs per fortnight under most circumstances...or more exactly, 1,802,617,500,000

Points to those that can explain the reference...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #60
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
As an aside, just remember that the speed of an Airstream should not exceed 1.803e+12 furlongs per fortnight under most circumstances...or more exactly, 1,802,617,500,000

Points to those that can explain the reference...
How can it be exactly thus, with proper respect to Herr Heisenberg and his principle of Ungenauigkeit?
Closed Thread