Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Splurge for your anniversary

The State Parks in the Keys are a lot of fun, but you should consider splurging for your anniversary and going somewhere like Bluewater Key RV Resort, where you could have your own dock and tiki hut. That would also put you close to Key West so that you could experience that and the sunset activities at Mallory Square.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Don't go in summer. It will be blazing hot, there's too many tourists, and you'll be in hurricane season.
But when you sort it out, spring/late fall, and you have kayaks then John Pennecamp state park is a must.
Also Bahia Honda is pretty, then Key West, of course.

Keep in mind there's nothing to do in the Keys except eat, drink, fish, dive, snorkel, relax, toast the sunset. The reefs are 6 miles offshore, so there's not a lot of beach (except Bahia Honda.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The trip out to the Dry Tortugas was a lot of fun. Snorkeling there was a great time. My first time and I took to it like a fish in water! DW, not so much.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
James Island , South Carolina
My wife and I was married in Key West 12 years ago. We go back at least 3 times a year and needless to say we love it. I am retired Navy so I can stay on the Naval Air Station Family Camp Ground for a reasonable rate and always get a space. Key west is one of those crazy towns where almost anything goes. Our favorite time is summer. We live in Charleston, SC and Key West is not as hot as Charleston for the same time of the year. Plus less tourist. We usually take two days to drive to Key West with a several day stop at the Land Yacht Harbor Melbourne Airstream Park. Do the tourist things. Go to Hemingway's House, Truman's White House and the Conch Train.

Lou
KC5ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Don't let the fear of denizens, or people of the night, scare you off....it's a lot like the French Quarter in New Orleans, where almost anything goes.

Funky and unique and pretty, it is worth the drive and to see it, in my opinion.

Go, and enjoy.

Maggie
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
1) If I assume 6 days of driving and 3 days there, I would not do it...but I am assuming two 8 hour days of driving...it lists as like 14.5 hours (as you stated that does not concern stops and 62mph vs. 75mph, but suspect that the differential in that speed, is pretty meaningless with drive times, as the stops you make, stop lights, traffic, and others are "the great equalizer" on such a trip...such has been my experience anyway...Either way, yeah, I need to speak more with others and confirm I can make it in 2 days...I have done 8 hour days driving in the airstream....I have done fine so far anyway...not that I love 8 hour days.

2) I would not want to be down there when it is "sweltering"...I do not mind it warm enough to want to get in and cool off...point of reference, we don't mind being in the gulf in July in the panhandle, just so as long we are near the water to cool off...once it is august and the water is bathtub warm,.....not so much....November-march sounds ideal...I am assuming these are all swimming temps/conditions..ie Jan is not too cold for swimming?
3a) if I were to do jan-march of 2018, I would need to book something...like NOW.

4) wow, hmmm...ill have to look into the naval base thing..I am a VA employee...I do have a nice big ol' genny - a Honda eu7000 that can run both AC units - would rather not have to tote along the genny though, as I would be bringing 2 kayaks, 2 bikes etc....I guess that is why I have a 3/4 ton truck? I would need to do the math there and make sure I did not overdo it, lol.

5) Wow, someone offered us courtesy camping, sweet, ill file your name away

6) I am not sure what one means by "conservative"...we are very "socially liberal", but we are not "party folks" by any means, lol...we are outdoorsy, love kayaking, hiking, swimming, etc...but not really "big drinkers" or otherwise...tried to get my wife to learn salsa with me, but she is a bit socially shy...we generally prefer lower crowds and such....

7) hmmm...that's all I got right now...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We visit the Keys about twice a year. My wife is a Miami native and has been going there her whole life.

In my opinion: Go in the winter, maybe spring or fall if you are "heat tolerant" (we are not). Avoid summer.

We are state and federal park people wherever we go, so I can't comment on the commercial parks... other folks have shared their experiences. Our preference is Curry Hammock (especially the odd numbered spots along the ocean). Long Key is also nice since each spot backs to the ocean, but many have traffic noise. You can literally kayak from your campsite there. Long Key is closed for refurbishment now. Your trip may not be until after it reopens.

Any of the state parks in the Keys fill up within seconds (I'm not kidding) of the time the reservation window opens for winter spots. That time is 11 months to the day from the arrival date of your reservation at 8:00 AM eastern time. Reservations can be made for up to 14 days. So, if you want to stay at any of the four state parks in the Keys (from north to south: John Pennekamp, Long Key, Curry Hammock or Bahia Honda) in the winter you need to be on Reserve America hitting the enter key as fast as your screen refreshes and hoping you clock and fingers are not slow.

One approach is to try several days in a row as promising spots open beginning a week or more BEFORE your reservation and book two weeks that include your actual window. Later (18 days later to be precise) you can cancel the days you don't need and get a refund less $10. Another approach is to deliberately pick one of the less desirable sites that's coming open for reservations that day (e.g.: an interior site at Bahia Honda rather than a waterfront one). Heck, do both... secure something early then day by day try for something better.

I think it's a fitting and memorable destination for a special anniversary in an Airstream.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
The State Parks in the Keys are a lot of fun, but you should consider splurging for your anniversary and going somewhere like Bluewater Key RV Resort, where you could have your own dock and tiki hut. That would also put you close to Key West so that you could experience that and the sunset activities at Mallory Square.
How much per night there? I saw that place on loloho and looks great. Budget would be maybe 2.5K for all trip expenses...kinda spendy for us post airstream, but we are ok with most forms of "splurging" for this trip...she does wish to go in the airstream though...seems she has aluminitis like me.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have done the whole 2 week overlap trick....ugh....man....it just is what it is really....I did that for elkmont in GSMNP...booked 2 weeks, then after booked a bit later, cancelled the days I had no intention of staying....I was told by friends that stayed there, that otherwise it would be "near impossible" during certain peak times I was looking at...sounds like spots in the keys are the same...sigh....

I don't want to hijak my own thread, but I gotta say that the "stress" of finding my campsites for vacations has been often a real downer...I end up getting what I need ultimately and all goes well, but the process can be grueling, laborious, the lurking and repeated daily looking for open slots....ugh....

I am thinking that fall/winter of 2018 is best...actually spring or winter of 2017-2018 wont work for a number of other reasons...this will also give me time to plan...my wife is not terribly "heat tolerant" by the way....when on our honeymoon in 2007 in mexico , it was June, and we visited Tulum, and it was HOT, she passed out mid trip while the guide was talking about this and that...she came too and drank some water and we went back to the bus...that was btw, REALLY REALLY hot...and there was NO SHADE...I thought at one point I was gonna fall over.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
One approach is to try several days in a row as promising spots open beginning a week or more BEFORE your reservation and book two weeks that include your actual window. Later (18 days later to be precise) you can cancel the days you don't need and get a refund less $10.
I wish they could come up with a way to close that loophole. It's not really fair IMO.

ETA: Maybe something like only allowing an account to do that once within a 2-3 year period.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
How much per night there?
I think it depends on what time of year you go, and which site you pick. It's not inexpensive. They have the prices listed on their web site.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Houston , Texas
We went last December, it was a great trip, beautiful scenery, good road, two land in most case, very relaxing and see plenty of party people, take your time and enjoy
Top69dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I think during my last 2 trips to the Keys I spent more time stuck in traffic than moving. Took me at least twice as long as I expected to make the run back and forth for the mainland legs. Seemed like almost constant road construction and wrecks both directions. Traffic moved right along after hitting the Keys. Stop and go thru all the little towns as expected.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Been there - great tee-shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
We live in Huntsville AL and never been to Keys.
Getting an new 26U and would like to make that pilgrimage one day as well.
I would be interested as well in campgrounds, etc.
We made the trip from The Rocket City several years ago; loved the experience.

Your can read my tale here:

http://adventuresofacuriousfellow.bl...ping-trip.html

I highly encourage you to do it.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Hello everyone! It has been a while since I have posted...has been a kinda dead 10 months for airstream use (for many reasons I will not get into)....but we are still kicking and have plans!

Anyway, I have a question about a possible trip we are *considering* for 2018.

My wife and I have a 10 year anniversary this June, but for financial and logistical reasons, we decided to make 11 years our "big to do".

We are planning a 9 day trip (like a Friday evening start perhaps, then going till the next Sunday). We live in Birmingham, AL.

My wife wants to take the trailer to the florida keys. The internet say that is about 15 hour straight drive for me....so figure two days of driving each way. 4 days of driving and 5 days of sitting around at perhaps an awesome campsite in the keys?

I just am wondering if it is worth that amount of fuss give those time constraints?

We are totally ignorant about that trip at this point, and are seeking some feedback.

We would be going sans kids by the way
There aren't to many RV parks around Key West. Sun Shine Key RV resort is about a 45 minute dive and its a great place especially if you can reserve a spot right on the water. You will be able to go kayaking within 30' of your trailer.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Don't let the fear of denizens, or people of the night, scare you off....it's a lot like the French Quarter in New Orleans, where almost anything goes.
It's a lot safer than the French Quarter, IMO.
Key West is a mix of druggies, dropouts, bikers, gays, and tourists, and I'll be darned if they don't all get along just fine.

When you go, you must stop at the "Half Shell Raw Bar" at the foot of Caroline st. The best conch fritters anywhere!
(I hope it's still there) A nice stroll from downtown KW.

When I was last there they didn't have windows, just screens, a couple was playing and singing, and it was perfect.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All of that is present in the Quarter, too...you just get home before it gets too late, and all is well....let the night people have their time.

We stayed at Boyd's when we took the Interstate down.

Pricey, but right there, and no reason to spend any more time driving once you're down there.

We took a sunset cruise our first trip down...

Maggie
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've been to the Keys a few times. When leaving the mainland it is 2.5 hours more to KW, if traffic is good. The KW experience is worth seeing, but I would not choose to spend several days there (to many people in a small area). My choice would be to camp several miles north of Key West, where there is a good beach and a few good restaurants. Then day trips to see things, even back to the mainland.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The trip out to the Dry Tortugas was a lot of fun. Snorkeling there was a great time. My first time and I took to it like a fish in water! DW, not so much.
If you are the least little bit into the US history, the Dry Tortugas is a must see place near Key West IMO. You can fly out or take a passenger ferry. Snorkeling is good too.

Key West is an interesting place for sure. Spent 10 days there in 2015 (stayed at the Truman Hotel about 2 blocks from Duvall Street)....can't let yourself be surprised at what you may see.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #40
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
If you are the least little bit into the US history, the Dry Tortugas is a must see place near Key West IMO. You can fly out or take a passenger ferry. Snorkeling is good too.

Key West is an interesting place for sure. Spent 10 days there in 2015 (stayed at the Truman Hotel about 2 blocks from Duvall Street)....can't let yourself be surprised at what you may see.

Also historic, and no long boat trip, is Fort Zachary Taylor SP in Key West. This is day use only, no camping, but a civil war era fort, similar to Ft Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas, which was modified for the Spanish American war, and used by the Navy and Army through the Cuban Missile Crisis, in addition to beaches.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote