Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
17 Mile Monterey, CA

Has anyone done this drive towing an Airstream? I am sure we’d like to get out at some of the good spots. Thanks.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
While it's likely possible, you'd probably be better off unhooking your trailer and leaving it someplace. There are turnouts along the way, but needing to take 6 to 8 parking spots will be tough to find.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Timely post! I just did the Monterey to Cayucos trip today on route 1 and 106 miles in three hours! We had 274 miles on the tank of diesel and we ended up with 54. Lots of twists and turns and very little straight sections. Breathtaking views but I missed most of them. Driving this section is a bit white-knuckle driving. I am pulling our Classic 30 with an F-250 6.7 diesel. Do not take an F-150 on this trip. You will regret it.

Most of this trip is OK driving. You have to get used to the 700 ft. drops (or higher) with no guard rails and quite a few hairpin turns at 25 MPH. It's not unsafe or even dangerous, but going around a 180-degree curve with no view of ground except the ocean in the distance is a bit stomach wrenching. My wife was enjoying it and she is afraid of bridges. She marveled at the views. Me, I was holding on for dear life at some points trying to be calm not to alarm her.

If anyone says, "Go ahead, no problem for a 30 footer", just tell them to go - - well maybe I'm overreacting.

I can say is was not fun and for three hours! It gets long and wearing on you. I can honestly say I am worn out for the experience.

The trailer performed wonderfully and I can honestly say the experience was good for my towing experience. I learned a lot from the trip and it has made me better for it. My recommendation is to leave the trailer behind and take the tow vehicle for a more enjoyable experience. If you don't need to tow it, don't. It was not fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route 1_res (1).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	570.3 KB
ID:	331102  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
. . . but that photo wouldn't be half as good w/out the Airstream in it . . . you should be able to "sell" the rights to it to Airstream . . .

Funny, I do the same thing w/my wife when I drive on Hwy 1. She's jabbering away, enjoying the view and I'm playing along, listening, acting like everything is fine (but in reality my brain is "firing on all cylinders")

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Yea, you really have to pay attention. It not that it is dangerous or anything, it just takes a lot of concentration to keep your self in the right lane, the outside lane in my case.

The pace on the highway is slow. You are not pressured to pull over at the view spots to let the cars go by. Most of the time I was actually keeping up and there were no cars behind me. Many are jumping from view spot to view spot and are not in a hurry at all. No commercial traffic either. We did stop when there were 3 nor 4 cars behind me, but that was not very often.

The viewing pull-offs are spectacular, to say the least. You can stand on the edge and look a 1000' down in some cases.

Don't even think about turning around with your trailer. You're COMMITTED! Don't even try or you will be recreating the scene from "long long trailer".

Fill up your tank. In my case, we could not find diesel before we went. We almost did not make it. We stopped in a small town in the southern end and I filled a water can with 5 gals of diesel to get us to our campground. Could not fit in the station.

Tom & Doty
Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
We did the Monterey loop last year pulling a 27FB with an F150. Not a problem in January but there were some stops we couldn’t make due to lack of parking space. Only down side was out dog got car sick at the end.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
We did the Monterey loop last year pulling a 27FB with an F150. Not a problem in January but there were some stops we couldn’t make due to lack of parking space. Only down side was out dog got car sick at the end.
That's kinda the reaction our dog had. She normally travels very very well, but the constant twisting back and forth started to get to her. We made stops along the way to giver her (and me!) a rest.

I consider myself a pretty good driver and I'm getting more experienced every day with pulling my 30 footer. I have to say I've made my last trip pulling a trailer down route 1.

I guess it comes down to, "Why put yourself through that?" Especially when you can experience the highway and the scenery in a more comfortable way NOT pulling the trailer. The only advantage I see to be pulling a trailer down route 1is if you are involved in a rockslide and you are stuck on the side of a mountain waiting for help. You could make a sandwich and go to bed while others are stuck in there cars. How's that for making lemonade out of a lemon of a situation!

Tom & Doty
Old 01-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Timely post! I just did the Monterey to Cayucos trip today on route 1 and 106 miles in three hours! We had 274 miles on the tank of diesel and we ended up with 54. Lots of twists and turns and very little straight sections. Breathtaking views but I missed most of them. Driving this section is a bit white-knuckle driving.
My question was about driving around Monterey on the famous ‘17 Mile Drive’ but that’s ok because your post is quite helpful since we are coming up from Pismo Beach, the opposite direction of your trip. So I assume we will be on the inside lane.

The run for the day is leave Pismo Beach, go up Rt 1, in addition to stopping at some scenic pull outs, see Hearst Castle, Big Sur, hopefully drive around Monterey, camp in Santa Cruz RV Park and go to the Boardwalk for the evening. We continue to San Fransisco in the morning. It just seems like too much but given the overall trip, I only have a day for that section.

Any feedback from you folks is greatly appreciated. Happy New Year!
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I wouldn't try the 17 mile drive with an Airstream. Most of the time, you're looking for a place to park just a car. The exception might be mid-week prior to Memorial Day. You'll likely need to park your AS nearby. Try the Monterey Fairgrounds or Laguna Seca Campgrounds. On your planned drive, your can spend several hours at Hearst Castle. I'd plan on a couple of days in Monterey to see Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
You’re going to drive the length of the Big Sur coast on Hwy 1. One of THE most scenic drives in the US. I’ve done it several times pulling our AS and on my motorcycle. Skip the 17-Mile drive unless you can do it without your AS. And, I’d skip it anyway after driving Hwy 1 up the coast. I think you might be underwhelmed by the 17-Mile drive after seeing the Big Sur coast. Enjoy it. Wish I was there to see it all again.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
That's quite a lot to do in one day. Pismo to Hearst is at least an hour. If you want to tour the castle, that's another 2-3 hours, depending on crowds. Then you have to make it from Hearst to Monterey. If you think its hairy on the ocean side of the road, in my opinion its worse going north as you are right up against the cliffs, hoping not to ding your shiny trailer. And there's nowhere to pull out to enjoy the view (but by then it will be dark anyway.) . Oh, and did I mention the bicycle riders? I say, take the 101 up to Monterey, park the trailer and do the 17-mile drive in comfort.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Cape Coral , Florida
You will enjoy the 17 mile drive much more if you unhook your Airstream. Whether you are touring Hwy 1 or 17 mile drive you want to enjoy yourself and get a chance to see the scenery. Hard to do if you are focused on towing the trailer.
Coach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Nooooo --- do not skip 17 mile drive. It is epic. Not so much for the views, but rather the history of the area. Golf courses, homes, the racing venue, and the features you see in great pictures. Stay the night at the Monterey fairgrounds. It's not epic, unless you are a pup looking for diverse smells, but it works and is close to the action. We would stay at Laguna Seca, but it is a bit of a drive to and from that fore mentioned action. Those are both great suggestions for where to leave the trailer for a great day of touring with the TV. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I agree with Nomad518. Skip the 17 Mile drive since you'll have enjoyed the views up highway 1. Actually, your wife will have enjoyed the views, your memory will be of the road and yellow line, and dodgeing sharp rocks jutting out into the road.

Also, the Hearst Castle is a several hour stop. You must leave your car in the parking lot next to the museum and ticket booth at the base of the hill, then take a shuttle up to the castle. I think you have to pay for a guided tour if you want to go inside, which is a must since going this far. Then take the shuttle back down the hill. Plan for a few hours at this stop.

The drive alone from Pismo to Santa Cruz will take a long time. Highway 1 is much slower than it seems. There's several 5 mph curves and many 15 mph turns.

Unless you've made reservations at Big Sur campground parking is very tight and limited, especially for a trailer. It's a super popular tourist area. Good luck with that.

I think you are over programmed for the day.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I agree. Too much for one day. Plan on at least 3 hours of curvy mountain driving and a bit of stress. I never thought about the inner lane and the perils that lie there. The outer lane going south allowed us to cut over a bit over the line as we could see the road ahead for traffic.

You do have to see this route but at a more leisurely pace. Your wife will see all of it. You will see 5% of it. It takes that much attention.

I'm not taking the 30 footer on it again. Scratch that off my bucket list!

Tom & Doty
Old 01-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
There are two campgrounds in Carmel Valley. You could spend the night in the campground and do the drive, then hang out in Carmel-by-the-Sea or have a bite at the Rio Grill. One of those campgrounds is down next to the river and we have stayed at the other which is on the hillside, has some more challenging maneuvering.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Ted S the question is. Do you want to see the views from the 17 mile drive, or do you want tell your friends that I drove the 17 mile road. Because with the AS in two you will only be able to say “ I drove the 17 mile” without the AS you will be able to say I saw the 17 mile and it saw great so much to see and take in”. Your choice. I have seen the 17 mile so many times but each time I see new views and wonders. I vote is to do see the 17 mile not to drive it.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
My question was about driving around Monterey on the famous ‘17 Mile Drive’ but that’s ok because your post is quite helpful since we are coming up from Pismo Beach, the opposite direction of your trip. So I assume we will be on the inside lane.

The run for the day is leave Pismo Beach, go up Rt 1, in addition to stopping at some scenic pull outs, see Hearst Castle, Big Sur, hopefully drive around Monterey, camp in Santa Cruz RV Park and go to the Boardwalk for the evening. We continue to San Fransisco in the morning. It just seems like too much but given the overall trip, I only have a day for that section.

Any feedback from you folks is greatly appreciated. Happy New Year!
Ted, if you are limited to only one day for this section of California and the 17 miles Drive is a must, I'd skip Hearst Castle and the drive North on Hwy 1 through Big Sur to the Monterey Peninsula. That in itself is a full day. Take it from someone that lives here

17 mile Drive ( https://www.pebblebeach.com/17-mile-drive/) is best done without your trailer although I've seen other SOB's do it. Most pullouts on the drive are short and your competing with tour bus looking for the same.
101 North from Pismo Beach to the Monterey Peninsula via Hwy 68 is an easy stress-less drive. Although there are 2 RV parks within minutes of me in Carmel Valley I'd consider Laguna Seca (https://www.weathertechraceway.com/n...ent-camping)as a layover site off Hwy 68.
I can list many things to do and see here on the Monterey Peninsula as I believe once your here you'll find that just a layover night wouldn't be long enough
Big Sur to the south is a spectacular drive and all the better not towing to enjoy it at a leisurely pace.
Even the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is only 50 minutes away!
I would seek more time for your trip in my neck of the woods
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
There is a camp ground between Cambria and Hearst Castle. You could overnight there doing the castle on the day you drive up from Pismo. Then start the Big Sur coast early the next day before the traffic gets busy.
I've spotted whales and condors along that drive.

The boardwalk in Santa Cruz is classic and good fun!
The Aquarium in Montery is great too.

So many good things to see and do along that section of Califorina, you might regret dashing thru it all.
Or this may be a scouting trip for future outings.
Sometimes, We got to do what we got to do.

Cheers Richard

there are some large pullouts on the west side you can pull over to pause for a break and look around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	331196  
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2002 25' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
La Quinta, N Barrington , CA & IL
The northern ten miles are the most scenic.
Banker is offline   Reply With Quote