Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Courtenay , British Columbia
Pressed tin panels

Has anyone tried using pressed tin panels in the trailer. We have floral wallpaper in the kitchen area and would like to replace it. I'm thinking tin pressed panels (they're actually aluminum) might be interesting. They can be painted or left silver; but I don't know if they are easy to apply without looking tacky.
thefroghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pressed tin panels

Greetings thefroghouse!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefroghouse View Post
Has anyone tried using pressed tin panels in the trailer. We have floral wallpaper in the kitchen area and would like to replace it. I'm thinking tin pressed panels (they're actually aluminum) might be interesting. They can be painted or left silver; but I don't know if they are easy to apply without looking tacky.
I have given this topic much thought following the installation of pressed-copper ceilings in my 1922 Bungalow. It would be a simple matter to substitute pop rivets in the locations where nails would be used in the typical installation. There are many designs as well as finishes from which to choose. When I was refurbishing my Bungalow, I went with M-Boss, Inc. of Cleveland, OH. I found their quailty and selection to be beyond reproach, but be prepared for a wait on delivery if you order one of their more "custom" products . . . it took around six weeks from date of order to get the panels for my ceilings.

When I have thought about adding a touch of copper to the galley area of my Overlander, I found myself drawn to a product that they call "Antique Filler" it has a relatively modest pattern depth that would make it blend better with the interior and has a built-in trim that could be placed along the counter-top.

I keep thinking that I would want it in the polished copper finish (the polished surface is protected with a Platicoat much like our Airstreams) . . . an example of the polished copper finish on a different style panel is below:

The M-Boss products are available in a huge variety of patterns, finishes, and panel sizes . . . they even have some filler panels that are sold coiled so that there are minimal seams in the end installation.

Good luck with your investigation . . . I am sure that a pressed tin accent would be a fantastic addition to your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think these are lovely!

Am a big fan of copper, pewter, brushed stainless, wrought iron, etc. There's just such a warmth to those.

Let us see what you decide to do. More of us may follow. I could find a spot or two for some of those.

Maggie
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink It has been done..."Big Dog" did it...

At about 1m into the Vid...but you'll probably end up watching it all.
Jay Leno's Big Dog Garage Video : Travel Channel

Bob
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
HD stocks replica pressed panels made of plastic that are indistinguishable from the real thing unless you press on them. There are additional patterns that are not stocked but can be ordered. They are light and practically indestructable. I mounted mine with double-sided tape and liquid nails.

I have used them to cover a scarred wall where I removed a mirror, for a splash at the end wass by the sink, and as a face for my refrigerator. The photo is my fridge face to replace the terrible fake woodgrain supplied by Dometic. Everyone who visits my trailer comments favorably on the look. Additional examples can be found in my 2005 Classic 28 thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00084.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	175689  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Courtenay , British Columbia
The tin panels worked out fantastic and I would send you all a picture but I don't know how. We glued them right over the vinyl covering in the galley area. The work was slow but the end result very classy.
thefroghouse is offline   Reply With Quote