Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
Hereford , Arizona
Galvanized metal Sheeting inside a SS Clipper?

I am in shock! My husband and I started stripping my 1955 SS Clipper and under the paint is galvanized metal! It extends from the floor to where the roof begins to curve. That is a lot of galvanized! The PO did some really questionable things and my trailer is pretty much a basket case but how can this be? The metal for the belly pan is some kind of wood patterned corrugated metal and is four pieces lapped towards the front where the road water was sure to be pushed up into the belly pan. No wonder the frame is rotten! These are all things (except the galvanized metal) I would have noticed but my husband's long time employee (who claimed to be an expert) purchased the trailer for me. Not whining. I will take my lumps. So my question is this..Could that galvanized metal have been original on a 1955 Clipper? I was thinking of doing wood up to the bottom of the windows but now I am perplexed and trying to decide what to do. Stripping has stopped until I decide where I am going with this. Holy Cow! I could use some input.
Canyonwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:41 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
redondo beach , California
aluminum shortage they used galvanized for interior walls not the inner caps though
PLVMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
Littlefield , Texas
Yes the galvanized interior metal skin was original. Same thing on my ‘52 Clipper I’m doing a frame up restoration on. Frame was shot, had to build a whole new one.
Ronmetz is offline   Reply With Quote