Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Bascamp 16 combined black / grey tank - upgradeable?

Has anyone investigated upgrading to separate black + grey tanks on a Basecamp 16?

IMHO, having separate tanks (plus the combined extra capacity) is one of the big advantages of the BC20.

For you BC16'ers, any regrets of having a single tank?
chrispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Austin , Texas
I also liked the tank size and configuration on the BC20 but chose to order a BC16. I’m sure you’re aware of this, but it depends on how many people are using the trailer and how conservative they are with water and toilet.

I’ll be solo, but a something I’m considering doing when I receive my 16X is to replace the toilet with a “composting” toilet. That will make my combo tank a grey water only tank. Much easier to deal with when dry camping. But composting toilets are not everyone’s cup of tea. And they’re not really composting, you still have to bag and toss the contents.

Regarding a retrofit, I suspect there’s not enough room in the belly of the trailer for a second tank and splitting the combo into two tanks may not increase the volume (that much).
KevinTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks much, Kevin.

I'm in the same camp - I'll be doing mostly solo travel. The 16x is a better size for me, but I like the layout and separate black/grey features of the 20x better.

I'm also here in Austin - I'd appreciate any insight in to the local buying experience, and I'd gladly welcome a drive-by when your new trailer arrives!
chrispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Austin , Texas
What a coincidence, Chris, and good luck with your purchase! Yeah, I was considering the BC20 for the same reasons, especially the larger fresh water tank and more storage inside, larger fridge, etc. But I eventually I liked the larger kitchen area of the 16 and the idea of the shorter footprint for maneuverability. But the larger size of the 20 has definite advantages. I think either way is good.

I’ll be taking delivery around February 2022 at Colonial in New Jersey because they had a better delivery date and the AS dealership in Buda, serving Austin, didn’t call me back, which wasn’t a good sign to me. (I’m currently overseas so I couldn’t just drive down there.) Plus, my sister lives in Vermont so I thought it would make an interesting way to start the experience, to pick it up and then go visit her.

I plan to spend time with the trailer at the dealership to create a punchlist of anything that needs fixing (I hope I get one that’s been assembled well) until all the punchlist items are fixed. Also take care of any mods I can do with their help, like the composting toilet. Let’s connect in Austin in the Spring (or whenever wherever)!
KevinTTT is offline   Reply With Quote