Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Basecamp 16 interior height?

Hi,

Another newbie post here --

I'm 6'3" and wondering if a BC16 is tall enough for me. Specs say 6' 3.5" in the entry area.

How far forward and aft does that hold? Looking at pictures it looks like it would in the "standable" areas - up front to cook, in the shower, probably some ducking back in the seating / bed area as would be expected. I'm guessing the A/C would be a head bumper too.

The 20 is a comfortable height, but I realize it's a few inches taller.

Any tall people out there in 16's?

thanks!
chrispo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Tomah , Wisconsin
Thumbs up It will be close

Chrispo,

I am 6'2" tall. My head was grazing the bottom of the air conditioner in the 16 foot version. I could stand straight up but felt my hair almost touching. I guess I would have gotten used to it.

But I purchased the 20' version and don't think about it anymore.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks, Ranier! Much appreciated.

I'm guessing the mid-ship AC is where the roof contour starts to roll down near the back? How's your headroom in the shower and kitchen area?

--Chris
Old 07-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #4

2021 16' Basecamp
Rootstown , OH
I'm 6'4" and the height was one of the reasons we upgraded to a Caravel. The ceiling gets even lower than it's stated height as you get towards the back of the Basecamp. The AC sticks down an inch or so and I've cracked my head on it a number of times. The extra interior height offered by the 20x would be something to definitely consider (coming from a tall person).
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Tomah , Wisconsin
Chrispo,

Yes the problem spot was the A/C. The back door area would have been a problem but I don't walk there, just sleep there.

The bathroom in the 20' has good height. I don't worry about it. However, if you are using the toilet, your knees are almost touching the forward wall. Sufficient room but absolutely no surplus. Changing in it is almost impossible (guests you know). I've been told I sound like an elephant in there.

The kitchen area is the best with extra headroom and plenty of space.

Regards.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
thanks

Thanks, Andy and Ranier, these are very useful comments. Much appreciated.

I'm used to ducking (and occasionally still scraping top despite), so I'd expect some of this in a BaseCamp. It's easy to work with in the back where the roof tapers off. Less so when trying to shower or prepare food up front.

Thankfully our local dealer had a 20 on lot that I could walk through. Hopefully I can find a 16 to step in to some day also.

--Chris