Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2023, 08:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Security: Boondocking OTG Remote Or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
Generally the higher the density of people you are near, the higher your risk of theft. The boonies is where you should be least concerned and near large cities the most. There’s plenty of skilled, professional thieves around large cities. There’s none in the boonies. The few people out there will generally go out of their way to help you. I’d be more comfortable leaving my Airstream with no locks at all and the key in the door in the boonies while going to town than I would leaving it with hitch locks, chains though the tires and inside a fenced area in most of the largest cities in the country.
AKNate: Excellent advice... that MOST will ignore. This was posted on another Thread with security options that can be turned against you in 10 minutes. Thank you AKNate for a post on a Thread worth each word.

We are also Off the Grid Boondockers. Remote locations. No access to a telephone booth or 911. We also have our own protection, be it walking sticks, our Blue Heelers or Sidearms.

A frustrated thief can take your lock and make it impossible for YOU to unlock all your security. Toothpick. Superglue the Ace key pins. Hammer the key entry. Fill the key entrance with dirt, sand, grit.

A locked door on the trailer or two vehicle. A broken window and trashed interior can be the reward. We do not lock our trailer nor tow vehicle. If a thief is experienced, you have little protection.

I like the idea of a system where the tow vehicle and trailer can be tracked. It is something I will look into... soon.

We will be leaving shortly to a number of Remote Locations. Most trailer owners think of Remote as being in some trees next to a State Highway. I say most... not All. If you are like us... you set camp where the 'bad guys' have to go out of their comfort zone. They have no idea how 'NUTS' you are and most likely armed with a side arm while hiking.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Safety Off the Grid by Planning Ahead

Experience is earned from thinking like a Criminal. Use offensive action and not passive devices that a professional will remove in minutes. TIME is their advantage while you are gone taking photographs of the scenery miles from a remote campsite.

Professional thieves have seen it all. You are the Victim of Choice. They are in Control. You think you are, but never. They have the advantage, always.

Bear are not going to break into your trailer and steal your electronic equipment. Although, those of you who like to Fry BACON in Bear Country... don't.

Bacon is the worst option for breakfast in the deep forest. It will attract any and all hungry Bear, Black, Brown or Grizzly. This is like a Denny's for me when filling the gas tank. The 'Double Cheeseburger, American Cheese, Fries and a Coke without Ice'.

Our stop before going Off the Grid for a day, days, or a week or more. Where possible. I know all the 'good stops' before going off the paved roads! I do.

If you like pouring your Bacon Grease in the rock ring where a campfire had been, be aware that Bear may be your next visitor, Most bear will avoid you at all costs... other than a Grizz with a Cub, a starving Black Bear, or injured Bear.

- Your physical safety is Number One. Stuff can be repurchased, easily.

- Your knowing where you are and how to walk out is Number Two.

- Way down the list are missing electronics and hardware removed from unlocked trailer and tow vehicle. Have your camera with you for photographs while away from your trailer. Any suspicious vehicle... get a photograph or two... just in case.

- Think SAFETY of your physical selves. Property is secondary and can be replaced at your cost or insurance. You are not an Armed Forest Service Employee Ranger or County Sheriff Deputy. You are on your own. Minutes count in a dangerous situation that develops quickly.

If no one is interested. Fine with me. We are leaving shortly. We practice Personal Safety and Common Sense... which is not common to all. Off the Grid campers, sportsmen and campers... already understand. Please add your advice.

No locking mechanisms. Chains. Wheel locking devices. Locking doors. This creates more damage to the Trailer and Tow Vehicle. If the criminals are experienced... you are already the victim.

If others participate, I will participate. Otherwise, I wish all of you safe traveling off the road. The 'Bad Guys' are out of their element in Off the Grid campsites that are Hunter's Camps.

Nobody at a Hunter's Camp get robbed, have stolen items or problems with stolen vehicles, trailer or tents. Think about... why? The Bad Guys keep their distance when THEY are insecure. Hunter's insecure? Probably you need to become a hunter while camped in your trailer with tow vehicle.

Please. If you like chains and lock safety... post somewhere else. I have real experience. Personal Safety is Our Number One. Not property. Seriously.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Close to 50+ years off grid in the back country. Only recently in an RV / Airstream. Almost exclusively in PNW.

The only things I've ever lost out in the puckerbrush were thing I've set down, got distracted, and walked away from.

Folks have passed right buy my camp, and never even noticed, more times than I can count.

Only a very few times in all those years has anyone made me nervous.

Your imagination is your biggest issue if you're out by yourself in the backcountry.

Oh, and raccoons. Raccoons are little *heads.
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Be Prepared. Study the Situation before than after...

Another experienced Boondocker 99TJSE. Thank you for participating.

Raccoons have very nimble fingers. When hungry, they can get into a lot of trouble.

Those who lock their doors at parking lots in the City. EXCELLENT. Most thieves are opportunists. Test a door for being locked or unlocked. If door opens, they can easily look through your vehicle quickly and leave. We lock our doors at home. We also have an alarm system to keep thieves... honest.

Our vehicles parked inside the garage, as well as Airstream... unlocked.

I am working on a wire trip system that when tripped, puts out a loud whine that is heard for a distance. Anyone have one or an idea? Trip Alarm in or outside trailer is a great idea. Now I need to find it.

We have a mental list of caveats to look for when dry camped and isolated single travel trailer at a remote site. Some like 99TJSE may want to add some experiences.

In my lifetime, I have needed a locksmith to open a locked door or a lock which needed to be 'serviced' and new keys. The locksmith will want ID, as well.

I had some apartments on the second story above a retail store. No key for the entrance along the side walk. Called the local locksmith. He could not find a way to remove the lock, nor had any idea which kind of key would be used. Even I had no idea, and this lock could not be removed from the door, without cutting it out. The one and only lock a Locksmith could not figure it out.

A locksmith and an experienced criminal have tools to unlock most locks. They can also put a wire down the outside window and trip the lock to open. I have seen that on older vehicles.

Alway lock and secure your tow vehicle and trailer in populated areas, campgrounds and where people are to be found. A criminal will test a door if something looks worth stealing. Locked... they pass or break a window if nobody is in the area.

Personal Safety is OUR most important consideration.

Property theft are items can be easily replaced. Property damage is expensive to protect a tool set in the front Airstream Storage that took a pry bar to do $500 damage for $100 box of tools.

I have never had anything taken from my vehicle or now a trailer...ever camped remotely. Common sense is not common. It is a natural survival instinct. People run away from a Forest Fire... unless a Forest Service Fire Fighter group. Common sense. A chipmunk does not need your spare tire.

Camped among other remote campers is better than isolated and near a well traveled road. This creates opportunity. Park beyond visual sight from the main county or state road. Then off this road far enough not to make yourself a convenient hit and run target. Even having a trailer door open... and you are not there is a good way to avoid unwanted company. You could have stepped out, or three miles away. The Bad Guys have no idea and are not risk takers.

Like the Hunter's Camp. Their tent(s) are not locked... or vehicles.

Anyone who spent two years or forty in the Military... with a MOS that required one or more firearms... understands. It is best to be prepared and not need protection that Need Protection and not have it.

The majority of RV and Travel Trailer Owners prefer established community camping. Different rules apply in populated campsites. Especially after Sunset. But that is for someone else to cover. I am focused on the minority that seek safe camping and not dwell on what could go wrong.

You do not need to be friends with several guys stopping by to 'visit'. Be to the point. Ask them questions. If you are a couple... one person confronts the 'visitors' and the other needs to be thirty feet away, expecting anything being possible. We have holstered side arms always in the Bush, aka Off the Grid.

Watch 'Forensic Files' on television. Your education of what not to do.

There is not a program for Off the Grid Boondocking Safety. Most can prevent from becoming a victim, some day by studying... victims. This program may help the nervous types gather some backbone and be ahead at a possible bad event.
Old 04-14-2023, 11:11 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
- Don't camp next to water meadows or stagnant lakes. The mosquitos will eat you alive.

- Don't camp next to mainlines in logging country, of forest access roads on Forest service lands.

-Don't play your stereo at high volume, it can be heard for miles.

-Pay attention. If the birds stop chirping or the chipmunks stop chittering or go nuts, something's about.

-Don't camp next to the only water source in the area. Lots of stuff needs to drink. Not all of it is friendly.

-People not used to being out are oblivious. They will walk right by you if you stand still and don't make noise.

-Big critters smell bad. You'll smell them before you see or hear them.

-Every area has a certain sound to it. Listen for changes. If the woods go silent, something is out and about.

-Scout your road in. Look for tire tracks and foot prints.

-Get a game cam. It's fun to see all the critters that check out your camp when you run to town for ice cream or bait. I doubt you'll ever see a human on it though.

The Jeep has a soft top. I never lock it, because the top has zippers. Still, a crook will cut your top in the city to get into your Jeep. They are to stupid to use a zipper to get in.

The wife and I enjoy shooting our 1911's. We both carry out in the woods. Firearms make loud, sharp noises that make big toothy critters avoid you. In grizzly country, save the last bullet for yourself. A grizzly will start eating you before you are completely dead.
Old 04-14-2023, 01:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Talking to some of the folks on another forum on this subject...

They had some good input.

-Stay away from Trailheads. But that's not really boondocking.

-Grow operations in the backwoods. Those aren't as prevalent around here as they once were, but you do run across one once in awhile. Hence the caution to watch for tire tracks and footprints in the road. Don't mess around, just un-ass the area.
Old 04-14-2023, 01:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
-More on the trailhead thing. Camping at off road parks / areas seems to invite theft and physical altercations. Lots of reports of problems in those two areas specifically from my Jeeping buddies.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Drag Grooving on Dirt Roads... FYI

There should be more than just TWO experienced Off the Grid Boondockers on this Forum. I understand that the majority of Airstream owners are not inclined to tow off a paved road into unknown or known unpaved roads.

Thank you for not saying the Airstream is inadequate and a weakly framed, poorly held together travel trailer. My Airstreams have been upgraded from experiences for less than $30.00, doing all three I have owned. I did the 3 inch Lift and 16 inch wheel & tire conversion I do not consider a Cost. I will get the cost returned when I sell the Airstream... if ever.

I still use the 27FBQ upgraded to OTG and an Oliver Elite II trailer that already has everything as standard for OTG Boondocking.

The Oliver Elite II is a double axle and about the length of a 23 foot. It has been a pleasure owning it for one year, and now the second. The BEST OTG trailer with comforts like an Airstream... but narrower, like a 23 foot. We do not live inside the trailer. We are sitting outside during the day, inside while cooking and sleeping. Rain... inside, maybe.

The Airstream IS capable. It is the USER that is not. Experience is earned by doing.

I did some 'Adventures' that a majority of Airstream owners voted to Get the Hoopers Out of an area, that was at a remote area with a small river, near DuBois, Wyoming.

I came to the doorway, when hearing a knock, knock, in the morning on the trailer door., Thinking an emergency, I open the door and stood there in my underwear, tee shirt. a smile and a western Hat.

A crowd had gathered to get out of the high elevation, temporary drizzle, rain, sleet and snow. They voted to drive 30 miles or more on Forest Service Roads while wet. This way my last serious attempt for... taking travel trailer owners an experience.

I finished dressing and headed to town.

I am rinsing the fresh water lines and bleeding the water lines of air at the present time. I just drained the fresh water tank to rinse the non smelling chlorine to prevent mildew within the tank. It takes time. You like mildewed water? Fine with me. I do not and this is also Personal Safety.

99JTSE has experience. I can tell just by the 'off the top of the head', like my posts, that flow like a cold creek that is drinkable, anytime. Not all can do this.

Now after the introduction a OTG Trick of the Road:

When you leave your dry camp OTG, walk over to the dirt road. I take my Walking Stick, which is also a defensive tool for human or beast... and drag it across the dirt road, leaving a straight, deep line. At a right angle across the total WIDTH of the Dirt Road.

If a vehicle crossed the 'two or more' that I make, as we walk along the road, I KNOW IF someone drove by the campsite. It works every time. Even a bicycle will leave a tread marks. At least you know someone came through while you were gone. You can add these 'drag marks' where ever you want. For... FREE.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Safest Trailer Camping: Isolated and Content

The Oliver Elite II is watered, food rations stored, clothes for however we want to be off the road, two five gallon water containers for the three Blue Heelers, ammunition in the event we get stranded and need to forage for food and ample solar power for reliable power as long as we are OTG.

I wear the same clothes, as long as my wife does not remind me that I should wear some. If we are going back into civilization, clothes are optional, as well.

I carry two ball caps in the F350, a Wyoming and a Cowboy logo in front.

Also a western hat with a Private Detective Badge on the front. I sit this hat on top of a Pet Porter sitting on the back seat, if someone looks into the window. Two Pet Porters on the back seat, a ramp for them to wall into and out of the F350 is needed, as the pickup sits high.

I may wear the western hat, a Stetson, when around the campsite. The badge can be seen from a distance. So far... only Black Angus cattle have ignored the hat, but they do not ignore the Blue Heelers. They protect the trailer from 'Angus Rubbing against the trailer". Really... you may need a Blue Heeler some day. Herefords are more curious and will crowd around the Airstream, until we chase them off... western Nebraska.

I have experienced NON OTG 'Boondockers' who shower each day and a change of clean clothing every day, or every other day. They need to dump their grey and black water every few days and short on fresh water and are beginning to panic.

Human Odor is a Bear Repellant. Really. Try it some day.

Neanderthal Odor is a Human Bean Repellant. I try it often, if needed to discourage visitors from staying too long.

We never have grey water.

We never have black water.

We have a folding small table to set a wash basin. Once a week for me is great. More often, if I want to spend the night in the trailer and not outside with the Stars.

I have the 'exterior Neanderthal' responsibilities. Nancy is the 'Human Bean' trailer IIC: interior in charge.

If I want to eat... I listen very carefully. My hearing improves with hunger.

Panic is for an injury needing a hospital visit. Not calling the Forest Service about some Black Bear prowling around the campsite. The NFS does not care. I do not care. Our Heelers have their territory, the Bear has theirs. Heelers always win.

The misuse of OTG water supply is meant to survive and not to be wasted on showers and washing paper plates.

FYI: Avoid taking RV Park socializers out OTGing. They are out of their RV Park Social Environment. We tend to be out and busy, and not sitting around talking about what they plan to do when they get home.

I like to sit around a campfire among a group of Wyoming Cowboys, making distracting sounds for entertainment. Cannot recall the movie, but you might. Yep...

Blazing Saddles... just remembered. Aaaaah.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I like your posts Ray, always learn something. Thanks
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
One Positive OTG Member Reports... I am Blushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I like your posts Ray, always learn something. Thanks

Come visit us OTG sometime. We need a Tenor around the Campfire.

Sarcastic Humor did not go well with the Socializers in 2016. I even smiled to indicate the entire two weeks was to be taken as a challenge, not a catered picnic.

Half survived. The "Survivors". They know who they are... maybe. After two weeks of OTG... I even forgot what civilization was like.

Anyone who comes with a polished Airstream and spent hours picking out gravel from the Michelin Tire Treads, before arriving... is not going to be a "happy camper" after the first three hours. No way. No how.

We like to get away from Current and NonCurrent Events.

OTG is to get away and just enjoy the company that understands peace and quiet. Sit outside until the Sun sets. Go indoors when Frost appears on your bare feet. My example would be... other sensitive parts.

My nose.

What have you learned from Boondocking?

I learned that People steal Pink Flamingos when they are seen along the main road. Now we use a stack of rocks to indicate the turn offs for company arriving later.

I even wrote my name onto the plastic.... X.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
OTG where I live equates to barely hearing road noise from vehicle tires on asphalt roads. If I am ever out your way I’d like to see what you see camping OTG🏕️
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Just curious Ray, you always proclaimed the 23 and 25 foot models to be the best for boondocking. So how is the 27 working out?
neck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
PM me... taken the 27FBQ 3" Lift and 16" Michelins easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
OTG where I live equates to barely hearing road noise from vehicle tires on asphalt roads. If I am ever out your way I’d like to see what you see camping OTG��️
DeLorme Atlases have a good handle on open ground.

A 16 inch Sport will have few issues. Bumper guard watch on some spots, but easy going as we do not travel beyond what is smart and capable traveling. A single axle has disadvantages from a double axle, but very few once you get the hang of it. Ohhhh Weeee I say.

We hear mostly Bull Elk whistle where we camp.

During Bow Hunting Season, many bow hunters stop by on their ATV's asking if we have seen any Elk. If we had, the ATV already has chased the Elk off. ??? hunters?

True Bow Hunters... we never see or hear them. Neither do the Elk or Turkey, when in Season.

Maybe a serious OTG Boonocker group can be rounded up that can expect the unexpected and be a Survivor like the 2016 Wyoming group.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Experience makes traveling OTG easy... to 30 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by neck101 View Post
Just curious Ray, you always proclaimed the 23 and 25 foot models to be the best for boondocking. So how is the 27 working out?
This is campfire discussion here. A 23 and 25 with 15 inch wheels can handle most any roads we travel. With a 3 inch Lift and 16 inch Michelins... ALL Roads we travel.

I like the 25 as the best option, as it travels as well as the 23, but more space. The 23's now have 15 inch wheels. In 2006 they had 14 inch C Rated Marathons.

With experience a 27 foot, 3 inch lift and 16 inch Michelins takes us to most any place we want. We do not exceed our ability to judge what the rear end of the trailer is doing and never dragged a rear bumper on the 27 foot... but it is made for OTG.

The Oliver Elite II has ALL the upgrades and about the length of a 23 foot for towing. Probably would go anywhere my pickup could tow it, but we get to that part of the road that is 'iffy' and find a campsite. We hike and hunt our rock from a Base Camp. As we wander, other road options are found, we walk those when found... to adjust our camping possibilities. It is a matter of experience.

"One small step for man, one giant leap for Mankind." Our idea of OTG.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Water: Filtered or Not? Now... think first

We do not filter our City Water into the Trailer's fresh water tank or dog water.

Why not?

Because it has Chlorine. City Water with Chlorine will help prevent short term algae and mildew issues growing, over the short time, and rinses the tank while moving. City water or deep aquifer water have no larvae or eggs of parasites from 'fresh water' sites that may not be 'safe', but say it is on a sign. Maybe someone from Buffalo, Wyoming may jump into this. He knows his H2O.

Most OTGers have bottle water to drink. Fresh Water from the tank to cook.

If you complain about mildew in your fresh water tank... duhhhh. The Army handed out Chlorine Tablets to add to any 'skinky water'. For the water, not for casual chewing like candy.

Many smaller towns out West have Well Water from deep aquifers. From Pennsylvanian Limestone aquifers north of Lusk, Wyoming could be bottled. It was cold and better than a Beer in an open bottle.

Fresh Water Tank preparation is difficult, at best. But... if there is a chlorine smell... probably too much in the system. Although better than raw water without filtering and chlorine.

What does this have to do with Boondocking Security? Only those who are reading this are getting an education as many care less about OTG Security. If you drink 'bad water' you will probably need a hospital. Boil it if suspicious.

If you want to play it safe... unfiltered City Water. You taste it. Look at the clarity. Look for sllt, sand or algae floating around... and then decide what is best for you. Cooking with water from a clear running creek is safe once it is boiling and your food will taste, just fine.

Look at my photo. Works for me. Maybe for you.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Maybe THREE OTG Airstream Boondockers... Yeah!

Since I am working primarily within Wyoming, central and west Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Nevada and the northern halves of Arizona and New Mexico. You need fewer maps and road atlases.

Otherwise:

This leaves additional sites to be found in eastern Washington and eastern Oregon for more available National forest and BLM lands. Where there are National Forests... you are probably assured the Lumbering Companies left lots of campsites.

Avoid the Nebraska National Forest near Chadron, Nebraska. Probably more lumber in your home than trees in this forest. But it is on a map. Maybe.

I do not count RV Parks and Costco parking. They are everywhere. Check in with Costco if you are a member and park away from the main parking and the AM delivery area. If you are a 'pest', they will ask you to go bother some other business.

Maybe add the panhandle of western Nebraska at Fort Robinson and the National Grasslands, as well the Black Hills of South Dakota and western Montana have nice options, if you look hard enough on a DeLorme Atlas. Most are difficult to find and locate. You are not a Local. You are an Invader. Your license plate is your ID card.

When Real Estate is expensive... chances of finding a campsite next to a multi million dollar shack is going to be very difficult.

The Black Hills and NW Wyoming are examples of land owner's with little compassion for Trailers on their property, even if within the forest. But... smart Neanderthals find small areas that are NFS, State or BLM land... open for campers. But... you had better have an accurate map.

The majority of Airstream Owners are to be found living everywhere not mentioned on my list of States. Maybe 75%. Probably more. I make up my own statistics. Give it 80% are not On or OFF THE GRID Boondockers.

Packed and ready to get moving, so have time on my hands, legs and ears to work with. Once on the Road... it is all Business.

Water Access:

Many Service Stations do not offer Water. Mavericks do more often than others. But some people think 400 gallons is part of the deal. It is not. A Travel Trailer does not hold that much in a half full or half empty water tank. If you made it this far, you are among those who will survive OTG for weeks.

National Forest Service offices in small towns often have Water Access. Due to locals coming in at night and filling 1500 gallon water haulers, many of the water systems are locked. Ask... and they will unlock the access... if the front building door is not locked. You need to move on...

We sometimes have to go to the building and have a short hose and a water jug to fill and take to the trailer. If they are closed and watering the lawn... go to that hose. When done, reconnect the watering system.

Flathead Lake has a RV Park on the west side of the lake. Big Arm State Park. As good as it gets and fresh water where the boat launch is located. A campsite next to the gravel shore line is often available, by chance.

Dogs love the water. Do not let them back into the trailer until dry. You will regret not listening to that caveat... but that is your interior. Not ours.

State and Federal Forest Service water is tested, for something, and tastes great. Service Station water has chlorine and is City Water. If water is not handy... ask inside. If you are not a moocher and bought fuel... you will be rewarded.

The clerk will probably point towards the Soda Fountain and a Local may be laughing out loud in line behind you. The Locals know better, but you learn as well.

To be given better help for water or directions to anywhere... ditch the City Slicker Hat. Get a "I Love Herfords" or "Hogs Are Fat in Idaho" hats.

Not "I Love (a big city name)" will not go over well. Just saying... Wyoming has 23 counties. The most populated county is One. The least populated is 23. Which do you suspect is Good and which is not? County 24 is the landing spot for space aliens at Devil's Tower. No County 24, except in the movie.

Now you know everything I know. Several more days and I will not be bored. Once the Tow Vehicle and Trailer are loaded, I am ready to get the devil out of town. But... Tuesday was the agreement I made. Seems like Tuesday, but not on my watch.

Some of the above may be accurate. I do not mind if you check my facts. I have a better imagination than most. Facts are flexible when you use spell check.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We do a lot of our back camping, in the midd of nowhere. Ghost towns never had any problems ..,
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:33 PM   #19
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Security: Boondocking OTG Remote Or Not

I OTG boondock almost exclusively. Preferably in places I can shower outside and dry in the breeze while gazing over the cliff, unconcerned anyone is around to see me. I have towed my 23 up and down some rutted roads that would give most Airstreamers heart attacks. I have the scratches and other imperfections to prove it.

Anyway, on to security. When I leave my rig to go to town or wherever, I generally leave my main door wide open with the radio on. Even with no vehicle there, I think it would cause enough doubt as to whether someone is inside, for most casual n’er do wells to pass right on by. It also doesn’t hurt to leave a pair of obviously men’s shoes outside the door. Maybe he’s the one in that trailer with the radio on?

On that topic, OTG in Idaho on the backside of the Tetons, I had sneakers, hiking shoes, flips flops, and slip on shoes outside the rig, under the step. One morning, one half of three pairs and both halves of the fourth were simply gone. I was confident a person was messing with me. I started waking in outwardly concentric circles, and about 50 feet away, located one shoe. The others—gone forever. I started doing my research and learned there actually is a ‘thing’… foxes are known for stealing shoes. Look it up—there are entire towns where people can’t leave shoes outside on their door stoops. For what it’s worth, that is the only theft I’ve ever experienced while OTG. Not as lucky in rv parks or moochdocking in suburban driveways.

I also tend to sleep with only the screen door closed as well, if weather allows and of course not in Bear country.

For me, there is no better way to camp.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:36 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
i'm laughing as i read these lines. always ogc.never in a rv park's.some nice sites in old gravel pits. too many people. i usually go another couple miles to get away. my dogs are my alarm; good for 2 legged and 4 legged intruders.[ never had any visitors except game [gotter have dinner] and a couple of forestry types wondering who's crazy enough to get a trailer down these roads/trails[my wife included].happy trails and more beans mister taggert! kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote