Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Gilbert Ray Campground is excellent and just west of Tucson. Lots of camping spots, but can be full at times the first two weeks of February... momentarily. You ask and they will tell you if there are trailers paid up to leave that AM. You wait and one is available... ding, ding, ding.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 AM   #62
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I enjoy Gilbert Ray campground I have stayed there a few times to visit family and have had very large campsites with beautiful views. Thank you, Ray.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #63
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Boondockin?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170706_093327.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	288828  
Old 07-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking is much like the movies "put your lips together and blow".

Those who are on the edge deciding to try Boondocking, other than a RV Park for $30 or more a day... try going anywhere... without making reservations. You may end up overnight at a Walmart or Costco parking lot... but do something out of your comfort zone.

Airstream owners who were 'torn away' from their tent camping did it immediately.

Those who were torn from... Ramadi Inn with room service... a bit more daring.

If you ask yourself "why do people want to put themselves in these positions of not knowing?", you are probably not ready to try something new. No one on the Airforum will try to force you to try something different.

Many are totally comfortable traveling with one or more friends, but begin at one designated campsite known to one member. Then branch out from there... Base Camping. That is the door to exploring.

Nancy and I spent nine years Base Camping in the Gila National Forest of New Mexico and began, immediately, exploring further and further out of camp. Eventually we knew this area very well and each prehistoric pit house in the area.

But then again... some family members want the swimming pools, the showers and the company. They can make your attempt to open new camping options... lets say, difficult. So be it.

I had been married to such a woman. She now weighs more than two women as she sits and socializes with people that are chatty. You do find your comfort zone... for some, it is sedentary and works out just, fine.

For me and Nancy... camping solo is a reward for working hard.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Well said!

TravlinMan's Pagosa Springs photos in his Tell Me Where To Go thread are a hoot, in case you haven't seen them. Note the orange leveling blocks in his photo here, right on the main drag.

Boondocking takes all forms . . .

Happy Trails.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Everyone is now boondocking it seems. Every blog or youTube channel that I watch that shows dispersed camping areas are packed out with people, rigs and noisy ATVs.

Kelvin
Old 07-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Boondocking- Make it up as you go???

Music to my ears: 4 kids complaining about too many people around our 4th of July camp ground. "Dad, this isn't camping, this is glamping, and we don't like it". Great to confirm with them that off grid, no idea where we will end up, but it will be close to a stream is the way to go.

There are many spots still available to those that look. We have a few favorites and frequent them. Also started to explore more in the Jeep to find new spots.

My backing up skills are getting better, that's what happens when you have to back up 3/4 of a mile because a park ranger gives you bad info about a backcountry spot being open.

Those trips tend to be the best, the trips where you think you have a plan, but something goes different and you have to improvise. Plus they create the best memories. How many 12 year olds can tell the story of guiding dad over a two way radio as he backs up for 3/4 Mike before he can turn the AS around properly. I love it, and my only regret is not buying this thing 10 years ago.... we view our AS as an aluminum tent.....
Old 07-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #68
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Boondockin?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170707_173534-01.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	288922  
Old 07-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #69
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Everyone is now boondocking it seems. Every blog or youTube channel that I watch that shows dispersed camping areas are packed out with people, rigs and noisy ATVs.

Kelvin
I try to avoid that. Yesterday ended up in a very popular atv place on accident but I am able to find spots that don't have a lot of folks around. I don't mind a friendly atv passin by here and there it's just when its so many of em. I always think those folks look like they're ridin lawnmowers.

I'm in a very peaceful spot now.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #70
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Those who are on the edge deciding to try Boondocking, other than a RV Park for $30 or more a day...
I passed by the RV 'Resort' here in Crested Butte yesterday... it is $65 per nite! It is in an industrial park 3 miles from town. I am 5 miles from town in a beautiful forest......

$65/nite....

Name:	crested-butte-rv-resort.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	289023

Free....

Name:	20170708_142414-01.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	289024

Old 07-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the photos. Curious about how you fill the water tank with good quality water when you spend so much time boondocking? Also, do you stop by any ranger stations to get information on the dispersed sites, or mainly check online and call them?

Does the app you use (forget which one right now -- Allstays maybe?) provide info on dispersed camping?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 07-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #72
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the photos. Curious about how you fill the water tank with good quality water when you spend so much time boondocking? Also, do you stop by any ranger stations to get information on the dispersed sites, or mainly check online and call them?

Does the app you use (forget which one right now -- Allstays maybe?) provide info on dispersed camping?

Thanks,

Peter
Hi Peter, I use my fresh water hose with my RV hose filter (the blue one everyone uses) to fill 7 gallon reliance jugs. They weigh nothin when they're empty.

I usually do it when I go to the market to stock up. If ya spend money at a market or gas station they'll almost always let ya fill water jugs. Once in a great while if I'm really in the middle-of-nowhere I filter stream water.

Then I either pull my truck up to the water inlet or I put a stool on my campin table so the jug is above the inlet and I use a shaker siphon and let gravity to the work for me.

I keep the jugs clean and by usin the filter, I don't get any sediment in there.

Name:	20170627_172134.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	289047

Also since it's just me it takes a while to go through the water and fill the tanks. I have a lil collapsible tote for the grey but when the black is full it's time to move on.

Someone on this forum recommended that campendium.com website that can be very helpful findin spots. But I find callin or visiting rangers stations, public lands offices and visitors centers is the best way to do it. I find spots on the map and then call to find out more.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #73
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Shaker siphon:
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10801.../dp/B000EH0ORI

Jugs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q...40_FMwebp_QL65
Old 07-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the details -- that shaker siphon is a new one on me. I had to check it out on YouTube, but it works great. Good solution using larger water containers that don't require pouring. We have a couple of 5 gallon ones, also used for hurricane preparation here on the east coast.

Thanks again,

Peter
Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #75
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the details -- that shaker siphon is a new one on me. I had to check it out on YouTube, but it works great. Good solution using larger water containers that don't require pouring. We have a couple of 5 gallon ones, also used for hurricane preparation here on the east coast.

Thanks again,

Peter
The shaker siphon is a wonderful lil invention. I have one for fresh water and one for gas that is marked with red tape. Very useful.