Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
Buck rivet hole sizes too large...

Hey guys. Previous owner did Olympic rivets on the front left window of my 76 Overlander. I removed them today to take out and reseal with buck rivets. Only problem is the hole diameter is beyond 5/32. The holes comfortably fit a 3/16, one even fits a 7/32". Anything I can do to make this look cosmetically decent or am I going to need to step up to a larger diameter head?
JoleneAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:14 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Olympic rivets are larger than the original buck rivets, so you'll need to find larger buck rivets to go back in the holes. Along with that, the heads of the larger buck rivets will be larger, as well, and will obviously not look the same as the original buck rivets.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I think I read somewhere that someone is selling a buck rivet with 5/32" diameter and a head diameter the same as a 1/8" rivet. Sorry I can't remember the source. It may be worth looking around, if the appearance of the job is important to you. Otherwise, use a 5/32" rivet, easily available from aircraft suppliers.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Use Modified Brazier Head rivets. They have 5/32" stem diameter and head diameter that is the same size as a normal 1/8" Brazier Head rivet.
available from all rivet suppliers.

If your holes are 3/16" or 7/32" you're dealing with a major rivet removal abuse problem and may need to replace aluminum.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I have bushed large rivet holes in the past, it's a PIA but does work. Take a look on McMaster Carr p/n 92510A005. I generally just plug rivet the existing holes and redrill.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Rivet Sizing!

Check Aircraft Spruce & Specialties. I believe you can get any size rivet with just about size head on it.
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykytiukr View Post
Check Aircraft Spruce & Specialties. I believe you can get any size rivet with just about size head on it.
I just called them and they are pretty helpless unfortunately. The closest they have is AN470, which is a 3/16 rivet, but they don't know the head diameter, and while the rivet color is gold in the photo, they don't know the actual color. D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I have bushed large rivet holes in the past, it's a PIA but does work. Take a look on McMaster Carr p/n 92510A005. I generally just plug rivet the existing holes and redrill.
It looks like you are referring to this:

https://www.mcmaster.com/92510a005

So I would essentially just drill a 5/32 hole into these, then place them over the rivet, place rivet into the hole, and buck?
Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Find the softest rivets available that are a little longer than normally needed, drill holes in several layers of scrap aiuminum of the correct thickness, and practice bucking them. Use a rivet cutter if necessary and experiment with the extra length. This just expanse them more to fit the hole. That is one of the basic features of rivet strength. Gripping the hole sides as well as the flat surfaces.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Vintage Trailer Supply has 5/32 rivets with modified heads to deal with the over-sized hole issue. I bought all three lengths and used some of each in replacing different panels.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...m?1=1&CartID=0
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Find the softest rivets available that are a little longer than normally needed, drill holes in several layers of scrap aiuminum of the correct thickness, and practice bucking them. Use a rivet cutter if necessary and experiment with the extra length. This just expanse them more to fit the hole. That is one of the basic features of rivet strength. Gripping the hole sides as well as the flat surfaces.

guskmg

I have also done this, and I have also pre swelled the Rivets in a vise.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
A 470 rivet is just the universal head designation. It could be listed as a “MS20470” or “AN470” the next letter is the alloy designation, A, B, AD, D, DD, E. The next number is the diameter in 32nds, and the next number is the length in 16ths. For example, MS20470A-5-6
470 is universal head
A is 1100 aluminum
5 is 5/32 diameter
6 is 6/16ths or 3/8” long
Old 08-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
Vintage Trailer Supply has 5/32 rivets with modified heads to deal with the over-sized hole issue. I bought all three lengths and used some of each in replacing different panels.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...m?1=1&CartID=0
My holes are beyond 5/32 unfortunately.

I ended up buying the spacers from McMaster. Hopefully these will do the trick!
Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You can also put a 5/32 washer on the bucktail side of the rivet shank. Installing a small piece of rubber with a 5/32 hole punched in the middle on the shank will keep the washer tight to the surface while the rivet is being bucked.