Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osoyoos , british columbia
tambour restoration challenges

I've recently purchased a 74 Sovereign and love it! Right now I'm dealing with the tambour doors, most of which is in great working order. I do have a couple problems tho.
One of the tambour doors in the bathroom is rolled up in it's holder intact, but stuck somehow, I don't want to force it, the compartment for the holding hardware also looks tampered, or uneven.
Another is the narrow tambour covers under the kitchen sink. The tambour for this small storage area is all broken up, I'd like to fix it. Can I re-glue it to new canvas? If so, can anyone tell me what type of glue is appropriate?
blueheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
If you go to the Cabinets, Counter Tops and Furnishings main page, you'll see a blue bar above the thread listings. On the right is Search this forum. Use that to type in tambour repair. I find it easiest to search by post but searching for threads may also turn up som good stuff.

Repairing broken tambour has been written about many times so you'll get more info through searching through years of experience than you'll likely get in the responses to a single thread.

As far as the stuck tambour goes, if you can find the screws that remove the tambour housing from the cabinet (varies with cabinet style) you might find it easier to fix it.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheart View Post
I've recently purchased a 74 Sovereign and love it! Right now I'm dealing with the tambour doors, most of which is in great working order. I do have a couple problems tho.
One of the tambour doors in the bathroom is rolled up in it's holder intact, but stuck somehow, I don't want to force it, the compartment for the holding hardware also looks tampered, or uneven.
Another is the narrow tambour covers under the kitchen sink. The tambour for this small storage area is all broken up, I'd like to fix it. Can I re-glue it to new canvas? If so, can anyone tell me what type of glue is appropriate?
Most owners simply replace the old tambour with new.

Far less head scratching to do so.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I consider myself something of a semi expert on tambour in 70s ASs. Not be design but the fact I am a cheapskate.

I can tell you how to repair the tambour in the overhead lockers that will last for years. The larger pieces of tambour are problematic. For the one in the bathroom you will have to fiddle and fish and maybe partially disassemble the cabinet. For the tambour under the sink I reduced the problem by cutting the long section into 2 smaller sections so that only half the length has to go into the spiral track. The other half I just slide over to get things in that area. There are similar problems if you have a credenza in the living area with tambour. Repairing tambour is labor instensive, but new tambour is expensive. The OEM tambour is composite. Replacement with solid wood would last longer. What would last even longer is cabinet doors.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Gary

1974 31' Sovereign
Snow Camp , North Carolina
Talking Tambour Source

Hi Guys, You can get 4x8 foot sheets of brushed aluminium Tambour from Surfacing Solution. Thet have and do supply Airstream per the Rep.
The Customer Service Rep is Juanita@surfacingsolution.com 1-800-964-5529. The cost is $179 per 4x8 foot sheet by 1/2" slats plus shipping to your zip code. Hope this helps. This is what I plan to do when I get to that point in my 1974 31 footer.
NCPIEDRN is offline   Reply With Quote