Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #1

1973 27' Overlander
Sallisaw , Oklahoma
Rolling cabinet doors

We have an older model airstream with rolling cabinet doors. The doors stick and are hard to close. Any good suggestions to help them close without getting stuck? On one door the backing is torn. Any suggestions on repairing the door?
E040214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Welcome to the forums. Your question was one of the first I posed when I joined this site. I also had sticky, broken tambour door on my '72 overlander. I took all of the horizontal doors out, cleaned all of the pieces up and glued fabric on the broken paperbacked doors. After the first Canadian winter, the glue let loose on many of the doors, so I redid them with better glue. They work well and I love them. The vertical doors under the stove top and sink are a different matter. After extensive searching and crawling around down there, I have come to the conclusion that the counter top as well as everything in it will have to come out to make a good repair the those. For now, I have cleaned all of the tracks, where dust can collect, with q-tips and silicone spray. I have used black gorilla tape to hold the broken panels together. It works, but not well. I want to replace the harvest gold counter with butcher block sometime, and thats when the vertical doors will get a good fix. I suspect you've found this on yours, but isn't it interesting that all of the fabric backed doors are still intact?
Hope this helps and if you would like more details, let me know.
CC
PS are you doing a reno?
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:13 AM   #3

1973 27' Overlander
Sallisaw , Oklahoma
Cabinet Doors

Thank you for the information. The doors under the cooktop & sink are the worst. Do you have any suggestions on cleaning the plastic counter top in the bathroom. Our counter top has stains. I haven’t found any cleaner that will remove them. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
If your counter is like mine, the finish is gone. When I first got the trailer, I put a couple coconut scented christmas tree airfreshers in it; one hanging from the shower door in the bathroom. Somewhere along the line, the bathroom one got knocked into the tub, sat there over winter, now I have a permanent christmas tree shadow there. I have not found a good cleaner either, but have read of people using peroxide (20 volume) for hair bleach. The plastic in my bathroom has yellowed over time and the ariticles I've read say that peroxide with an ultra violet light will whiten it. I think I'm more apt to use paint to clean things up, but I believe to do a good job on this, and also because of fumes, this might be best done by removing the parts to be painted. I have cleaned the area as best as I could and have put a wax on it to stop further staining. It does make it look better.
CC
Old 11-15-2021, 05:37 AM   #5

1973 27' Overlander
Sallisaw , Oklahoma
Thank you so much for you suggestion! I’ll try the peroxide.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #6
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
I'm curious to see how that turns out; make sure to post your results.
CC