Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
removing dinette and putting fabric on walls

I tried to search this before posting but could not find any info on it ..must be doing something wrong

I need to remove the dinette as it is an obstacle and I can't sit at it so how do I do this without tearing anything up ? Remember guys I have to do this alone and well I have never picked up a screw driver nor a hammer so I need kindergarten lessons on how to do this. Also I already bought 2 chairs from pier one and will need to find like a half moon table to replace it so how do I make it where it will like be stuck there ? Can I cement glue it to the wall as I know I can work glue. I figure it will leave a space on the floor but the carpet and stuff I figure I can figure out how to put pergo in it looks easy enough.

Then one more question I was thinking I can get that pink insulation stuff that is like a sheet and maybe staple it to the walls then staple fabric to the walls without hurting the walls ... now am I dreaming ?

Thanks in advance for any help please don't think DH is lazy as he isn't just he can't do it
Victorialhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As far as the dinette removal it is straight forward. Just get a battery powered drill and a philips head bit. After you remove the cushions you will see the screws that have to be removed to remove the seat panel. After that other screws below and those holding the dinette to the wall or cabinets will be accessible.

Sorry to rain on your party but Staples are out in any use other than to wood and even then not recommended for use in vibrational atmospheres like a moving trailer.

Not sure what you have selected for the new table but glue is not the answer. You will most likely have to install a ledger board on he wall to support the table at the wall and create some form of leg. With seeing the table I can't be give more detail but again glue is out.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Thanks Howie ... I can handle that easy ..

Thanks for raining on my party .. I was about to make a dream a nightmare but with thought I will figure out how to do the fabric ..maybe

Here is the table I ordered
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome and Contratulations!

Been following your threads. Have a safe trip home.

Personally I like the dinette. Can you modify the original table top and use the existing mount and leg? Also, aware of the wheel well intruding into the space below the rear dinette seat. At least it does in my 1983 34' Excella. Dinette is curbside and galley is street side. See http://airforums.com/photos/showimag...mageuser=17830 and http://airforums.com/photos/showimag...0&userid=17830. You can see the wheelwell below the table in the first photo. Possibility would be to remove the front dinette bench and leave the existing table and rear bench. Just ideas to consider.

You can also see the cloth on the wall in the first photo. It is a piece of cloth and padding over a backer like heavy card stock and screwed onto the wall. If you look closely you can see a screw at the top near each seat back. The cloth panel behind the front couch (http://airforums.com/photos/showimag...mageuser=17830, you can just see a little on each side of the back) is attached with snaps and is removed to access the fuses that are located on the front wall. Snaps could be used in other locations instead of screws. The male part is attached with pop rivets. Pop rivets are those ones throughout the inside that are small, flat, and have a hole in the middle. You will need some of those and a tool anyway. Any hardware store will have them.

Any fabric store will have snap kits. Get the large ones if that's what you decide.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We would like to remove our dinette also. Unfortunately there is a water heater under one of the seats. Make sure you don't have anything but storage area under the seats. A wheel well makes it tough to use regular chairs.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Thanks for all the info. I like the dinette as well but due to the way my goofy leg works it will not let me sit at it. I found the wheel well and under the other bench is a battery thing so will have to put some thought to it.
Right now we are both sick but so far we love living in the AS