Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Need help on minor (but annoying) issue

Hi all! Just recently, our kitchen drawer has decided to not stay shut. The latch on the inside of the drawer seems to be ineffective at this point and we are wondering how to fix it. Can a replacement latch be purchased? If so, where? It doesn't just open when we are on the move, but even just the slightest movement inside the trailer (i.e., someone walking, closing a door, etc.). Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Can you post a pic of the latch? You may be able to adjust it or add another latch that works.
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Look at the part of the latch attached to the cabinet frame. Could you take that off, add a shim underneath and reinstall? Inspecting the mechanism might suggest if that's feasible. Sorry, my Safari is put away for the winter and I can't offer more informed advice.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Is the trailer still under warranty? If so call Airstream and request a replacement. Assuming that the same latches are used in the Int as are used in the Safari/Flying Cloud they come in at least 2 different strengths - and Airstream uses the weakest. I've already had 3 in my trailer replaced because drawers/doors would not stay shut during travel - have never had one open as I walked around the trailer. In addition Camping World and some other RV dealers sell these latches but not sure if they carry the weak or strong version. If I remember correctly they're around 10 bucks from CW.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Not sure what type or size of drawer you have. But when I installed 3 large drawers in my 1976 A/S kitchen I used the child proof locks shown in the link below. When traveling just place the red arm (shown in the link pictures) in the down position and shut the drawer and it is locked. When you are camped just lift the red arm to the up position and the drawer can be opened and closed without locking. The key to open the drawer when locked is a magnet that when passed over the lock from the outside will allow the drawer to open. This works great and the drawers stay closed even when full of heavy objects.

While parked if the drawer open from just just walking in the trailer you may want to try a small strip of Velcro on the lip of the drawer and the cabinet base. I use this on the small drawer shown above the larger drawer in my picture below, When the drawer is closed you cannot see the Velcro and it has just enough sticking poere to keep the drawer closed.

Don

Dreambaby Mag Lock Set 4 Locks No Key - Child Drawer Locks - Babysecurity Baby Shop, Safety Stair Gates, Fire Guards, Baby Monitors, Child Locks,High Chairs, Travel Cot, Baby Bathing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drawer-lock.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	91823  
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Those locks are made by Rev-a-shelf and are available pretty widely. You don't want to order them from the UK.
They have a potential problem with holding a drawer shut in a trailer bouncing down a rough road though. The latching mechanism can move up and down easily on it's own, and a drawer could open with a good bounce. Also not the easiest things to install. Still not bad considering the choices available.
I would first try to get the original one working unless it's broken. I would bet it just needs to be adjusted a bit. That's the most common problem with these mechanisms.

I really like the latches used on the '64 models. They are way too good to be a one-year oddity. They latch everytime the door/ drawer closes, and open with a slight turn in either direction. They are self-aligning, and cannot be bounced open, as they require a turning motion to open them. Nothing available today is even close.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Those locks are made by Rev-a-shelf and are available pretty widely. You don't want to order them from the UK.
They have a potential problem with holding a drawer shut in a trailer bouncing down a rough road though. The latching mechanism can move up and down easily on it's own, and a drawer could open with a good bounce. Also not the easiest things to install. Still not bad considering the choices available. Rich the Viking
That UK link was the best picture that I found showing how the lock works. I actually found them locally. They have been installed for over a year and have never opened while towing over some rough roads and mountain driving. But anything is possible.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
duct tape.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
We have a 23 CCD too and had problems this past summer. The first summer was fine. Anyway, we screwed the catch back in (under the bottom shelf of the cabinet above the drawer), but with longer screws. This seems to help, but because we don't want to have any more issues, we also tie the handle of the drawer to the handle of the cabinet above together with zip-strips or a bungee cord.

Hope this helps.

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
Hi all! Just recently, our kitchen drawer has decided to not stay shut. The latch on the inside of the drawer seems to be ineffective at this point and we are wondering how to fix it. Can a replacement latch be purchased? If so, where? It doesn't just open when we are on the move, but even just the slightest movement inside the trailer (i.e., someone walking, closing a door, etc.). Any advice?

Thanks!
Lani.......We had the same problem with the drawers under the bedroom closet on our 25' FB. I solved it by reducing the amount of weight of gear stored in the drawers when traveling and I also replaced the the original latches with new ones I purchased online from D.B. Roberts Co www.dbroberts.com. The latches on our trailer are Southco Push to Close Latches. Southco makes three versions of the latch with pull-up forces of 3 lbs, 5 lbs & 10 lbs. I ordered the model of the latch with the maximum pull-out weight of 10 lb (Southco Part Number C3-810). Since making these changes we have not had the drawers come out while traveling.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks everyone! This has been a great help.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
If it is the pantry drawer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post

Thanks!
With the vibration of traveling, the small screw for the metal catch under the upper shelf of the kitchen pantry drawer stripped the wood and fell out. I drilled through the shelf and reattached the catch with a longer machine screw fastened with a nut.

The repair was a challenge since I could not figure out how to remove the slide out drawer to gain easy access. Occasionally, the catch slides in, not allowing the push button latch to fasten. This has been resolved by pulling the catch forward and then closing the latch while pushing the button in then releasing.

After having items fall out of cabinets & drawers in transit making a big mess, and dinging the lobster sink cabinet door, we did the following:
  • Secured the kitchen cabinet over the slide out pantry with a bungee cord which goes around the cabinet door pull and hooks to the kitchen exhaust hood.
  • The drawers in the cadenza are secured with a bungee cord, which is hooked onto the bar of the built in magazine rack in the refrigerator cabinet, goes down in front of the drawers, and fastens on the bottom drawer pull.
Wish you fun and safe traveling,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote