Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Galley "End Wall"

I am just about to TEAR MY HAIR OUT!

This is a 1981 Excella

I had the end 'wall' next to the range---at the end of the galley---removed, and with all the new pieces (one guy threw out the original pieces to be used for templates---& I'm past that now...thank goodness---but unfortunately, it was too long ago and now too much has been forgotten...& with the new pieces I can't figure out the puzzle.

Can anyone help me figure out why theirs a 3/4 inch wood piece that won't fit between the stove and the outside panel?

I have photos---but the Forum's uploading feature isn't working. If you can help...and you need to email me plz do at chernbear@yahoo.com, or phone me at 425-328-7100.

I just need someone who knows why this 3/4" piece that HAS to go between those two areas fits at the top, but not at the bottom; AT THE BOTTOM THERE IS NO SPACE for it! There is a 'track' on the floor to slide the panel in (ok...I've done that), and once it's in the track, that 3/4" piece that HAS to go between that panel and the countertop, will NOT fit all the way down. It fits at the top...but not at the bottom; it's like it needs a WEDGE piece...but I SAW this before it was tossed, beFORE it was replaced and the old one was identical to the one I have.

It's the short wall to your left that has the "magazine rack" under the flip-out countertop 'extender'... as you enter the coach.

One picture shows this 3/4" piece that slips behind the panel (but, you'll see when the panel is in the 'floor track', that 3/4" piece causes the panel to bow out...and that's not right! Another photo shows how the 3/4" piece fits perfectly with the panel as both were cut to their respective templates.

THE PHOTOS SHOW THEY'VE BEEN UPLOADED (2 OF THEM)...BUT i DON'T SEE ANYTHING. ???

SO WHY CAN'T IT FIT ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR? When we try to do that, the panel will not go into the track on the floor. You can see in one photo what happens when we try---it pushes it out so it won't go into the track at that end. My tow-guy will be here in 10 days, and I need this done before he gets here...and my son isn't always available....so someone please PLEASE HELP ME.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GalleyEndWall-5.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	26469   Click image for larger version

Name:	GalleyENDwall-2.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	26470  

Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
PLEASE EMAIL ME WITH HELP...BECAUSE I'M NOT ON HERE MUCH...AND I'LL SEE THE EMAIL.

THANKS BUNCHES...
..........................Cat
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Cat, The great thing about this forum is that it will email you when someone has replied to your post. Also we are a knowledge sharing forum. Any info that you need, probably someone else does too. Hopefully whoever helps you will post that information here so that others can use that information in the future.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
a couple of thoughts...

The simplist - that the track on the bottom is not really square to the wall, and the end panel doens't fit in it right? I'm assuming here that it was moved to put the new floor vinyl in? But that doesn't explain the bowing, so idea #2

Either the 3/4" plywood is too short, or that the end panel is too long. Here's why - the stove "hangs" from the counter top, pulling the counter down. If the end piece is cut right, it isn't firm enough to hold the counter up, hence the need for the 3/4" plywood as a stiffener (I think orginally there was a metal "L" piece" that held the counter up, and held the end piece orginally). If you put the stiffener in that is too short, it will let the counter sag down a tad (I'm guessing by about 1/2" here), bowing out the end panel. If you lift up the counter, the sag goes away, right?

Solution? - make that 3/4" piece about 1/2" longer, and your problem should be solved (actually, make note of how much you have to pull up on the counte to get the end piece straight, that's how much longer the 3/4" plywood needs to be."

Looks interesting - any more pics?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Galley Puzzle

I posted a request here, and was told by the help desk that it was moved to another place...now I can't find it. It's H*** when you can't see well enough to find things like others SAY they can. Now I can't figure out why they moved it, bcz there's so many other problems listed here, and I know if my delimma were here, I'd have gotten posts and probably a solution by now.

Anyone want to try to help? What I need are photos of the Galley "end wall" next to the stove --- the one with the flip out counter extender and the magazine rack under that. There's a track on the floor where Airstream intended the
"panelling" (serving as the wall end) to fit. My puzzle and delimma is that once I get the NEW panelling (same width but I used Formica), once I get it in the panelling, the 3/4 inch wood that goes between the panelling and the cabinetry that the plastic T-Trim goes into...WILL NOT FIT AT ALL....There's no room between the panelling and the cabinetry. I need a photo of an older Excella's Galley end...top to bottom...and front-on and down near the furnace intake vent to the front.

Can anyone help....?
Isn't this the right forum?
I'm sorry if it's not...but I need my question to stay up where folks can see it...(the closest Airstream dealer/service is 150 to 200 miles away.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I faxed you a diagram?

Your welcome!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi,

Post pictures and indicate the year/model of your trailer! It will help you get fast answers! Good luck.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Let me say to you three wonderful members...that I didn't realize I had slighted you Bob, yes I got the diagram, but it didn't have the 3/4 in. piece of backing behind the panelling...so I was stumped again; then, I don't know if I told anyone, or if anyone cares---but I'm moving TOTALLY after being in this house for 10 years (& 2800 sq. ft.) into the Airstream, the bed of a dualie pickup, & a small covered U-Haul behind my car...and it all has to be ready at 0800 one week from today!---yesterday (ahem!)
anyhow...if I didn't reply to you guys, I'm sorry, but I think knowing all this, you might just give me a little slack.

& Richard "Flycaster" ...you DOLL! yes! that is the thread...I'll go look at it soon as I send this.

& Mrs. NorCal Bambi (where is "Tardis"?)...I did post photos...you can see them on that link that Richard posted above.
The year & model of my coach is also in that thread.
thanx guys...I guess I'm running too fast right now to duplicate my efforts....sorry.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:41 AM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
ok...I went to that thread & looked at the tread and it doesn't help. I think the best help I'm going to get (meaning the end wall is going to have to be left apart until I get to Central California).---is when I stop at the Airstream shop just outside Tacoma, Washington, they are going to look at it and TELL me how to put it back together.
It's awfully hard to convey help through just the written word eh? You guys try and you all get an "A" for Effort (lol).
(My personal feeling is that the 'wall' (the 1/8 in. 'panelling') NEVER WENT INTO THE TRACK ON THE FLOOR; otherwise, if it HAD,,, my carpeting people would have installed the carpeting right up to the track...& they didn't; the carpet stops about about 1/2 inch from the track...& that would leave just enough for the 3/4" wood that gets routed for the T-Trim. ok, we'll see>>>

I'll post after this weekend...and end this Thread then.
Thank you all again
Old 10-07-2006, 05:26 AM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
If you mean the track on the floor on the left side looking at the galley?

The panel does go in there, how else would it support the counter?

Try it.

Perhaps this 3/4 inch piece of wood doesn't in fact belong there at all.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote