Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2003, 01:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Red face Galley plumbing

I have a 1988 Excella 1000. It's time to put new fixtures in the galley and bathroom. I bought a nice new Moen single lever faucet for the galley. It has two "stems" that come down from the bottom of the fixture and they have female brass receptacles sweated on to the ends. One "stem" is longer than the other. I have rigid gray pipe that comes up from under the floor-the usual Airstream gray plastic pipe for my vintage trailer. How do I make this connection? Why is one "stem"longer than the other. Do I have to actually call in a professional for this job-it seems to simpled. Or at least it DID....until I looked! Yikes? Help!
Ufatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Faucets

One stem is longer than the other so that they will fit through the hole in the sink. If the fittings were side by side, they would not go through.

You should be able to get compression fittings for the gray tubing that will allow you to use short flexible tubes like you find under your bathroom sink to attach to the faucet stems. I was able to do this when I replaced the faucet in my SOB trailer 2 generations back with a single-lever faucet.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Well I couldn't. I had to buy angle stops (shut off valves) to make the connection from my PEX tubing to the flexible faucet connectors. I have no doubt they make a connector, but I could not find one when I needed it. Oh well, shut off valves might be useful someday.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Kirkwood , Missouri
Galley Plumbing

You will be better off with those stops, If you ever have a problem with that fixture you can isolate it from the rest of the plumbing rather then stut the entire system down.
airstreamer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

basic plumbing

John was right on and if there is no shut off values on the hot and cold , there should be......for emergencies...they are cheap and can save a lot of damage...don't forget the teflon tape on the plastic pipe...lol..jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:55 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

So far so good you guys. Now, where should I start looking for these "angle stops" ( a term I had NEVER heard before). And then, when I find them, I just cut off the gray plastic, hook it into one side of the shut off vale, and the other into short flex and the short flex into the female recievers on the ends of the "stems", right? I'm guessing the gray pipe is about 3/8ths. So is that the size shut off valve Iwould ask for. As you can tell I am not a very mechanically minded person. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

What you have is polybutylene tubing. It needs to be replaced in its entirety, but that is another subject. Do a search on the forum for "polybutylene" and you will find some discussions on that topic.

There are PEX/Qest fittings which will work with the polybutylene tubing, as well as Flair-IT brand. You will need an adapter to go from the tubing to a the threaded angle stop. These are available at plumbing supply stores, some RV stores, sometimes the large home centers. The angle stop and faucet connectors will be available at any home center - Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace hardware, etc.

Mark
Old 06-17-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

advice received

Okay Mark. I am off to the supply depot later on today. We live on a lake about 20 miles from the nearest trading post, in northern Minnesota. I am confident I will be able to find the pieces I need. I know that the gray pipe in my trailer is BAD STTUFF, but we have had it from the beginning and have never had a problem with it. All we've ever done is add a new water pump and Pergo flooring. Oh, and some Fantastic fans. And tires.Thats it!
Thanks to the others who replied. If I run into trouble you can rest assured "I shall return".
Old 06-17-2003, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

The more I think about it, the more I think I actually used straight stops, rather than angle stops. They are the same kind of cut off valve, of course, just made for straight through, rather than right angle connections.

Just so you don't think there is something special about "angle" stops.

Mark