Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #1

Question where is the converter/inverter thing?

Hello,

I bought this unit without a converter/inverter and i dont know where one would go anyway. Could somebody please give me some insight on this. Thanks!

jnana caksus dasa
79 27' argosy

i will post the pictures soon-
jnanacaksus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I think on that model it is right in the interior right in front of the trailer under the front window dead center. If I am correct it will be in a box with a wood cover.

at least that is where it is in an 1979 Airstream Trade Wind (non Argosy model)

if that is incorrect it will be close to the battery.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
I think on that model it is right in the interior right in front of the trailer under the front window dead center. If I am correct it will be in a box with a wood cover.

at least that is where it is in an 1979 Airstream Trade Wind (non Argosy model)

if that is incorrect it will be close to the battery.
Richard, I am not entirely sure, but I think this Argosy 27 is one of the bonded fiberglass square units. Do you know if the Univolt would be in the same position in that trailer?
I know most of the older/smaller Argosies had the Univolt in the bathroom, on the street side, in a tiny cabinet in the corner, covered by nearly everything in the world.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I said I "Think" I could be wrong!

I am sure wherever it is it is within reasonable distance from the battery.

I thought the square ones were made in the late eighties.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
I said I "Think" I could be wrong!

I am sure wherever it is it is within reasonable distance from the battery.

I thought the square ones were made in the late eighties.
I thought the square ones were mid-'80's vintage also, but another forum member more knowledgable than I told me that 1979 was the first year of them. Very few were produced, and none were produced after 1979 to the mid '80's, when production resumed briefly before Airstream permanently exited the Argosy-building business.
But, I agree the Univolt or equivalent should be near the battery(s), if for no other reason than it would reduce voltage drop from the charger to the battery.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

We will know for cetain when Jnana Caksus Dasa posts some pictures. But for now "Welcome to the forums"
Old 08-27-2005, 09:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Go back to the bathroom and turn right, looking low. Better yet -- plug the main cord in and listen for the hum while you're doing this. They fit it in amazingly little space. http://www.argosytrailer.com/ show's the 1979 27-footer is a standard Argosy model. The streetside view (2nd across in the 27-footer section) clearly suggests the battery door at rear streetside, just like it is in my trailer.

Hmm... the 1979 Argosy page does show the toilet in that position with a tiny cabinet just aft. It's still big enough though!

RichardT is 100% right -- it's gotta be near the battery. Let us know how you're doing.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
& I was not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Go back to the bathroom and turn right, looking low. Better yet -- plug the main cord in and listen for the hum while you're doing this. They fit it in amazingly little space. http://www.argosytrailer.com/ show's the 1979 27-footer is a standard Argosy model. The streetside view (2nd across in the 27-footer section) clearly suggests the battery door at rear streetside, just like it is in my trailer.

Hmm... the 1979 Argosy page does show the toilet in that position with a tiny cabinet just aft. It's still big enough though!

RichardT is 100% right -- it's gotta be near the battery. Let us know how you're doing.
That page also clearly shows the Argosy 27 as being a "normal" aluminum and steel trailer, like a contemporous Airstream.
It seems to have a bathroom layout like my Overlander, down to what looks like a grey water tank above the floor in a cabinet under the toilet.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Terry -- Exactly! The Argosy line was an Airstream product. Intended to be simpler and family-affordable, the Argosy was a testbed for a variety of innovations. The galvanized one-piece end cap required that the trailer be painted. Wraparound front windows were tried first on the Argosy. Argosy motorhomes came approximately a decade before Airstream put their label on a MH. Argosy trailers were built at a different plant in Versailles, OH.

Nearly every feature under the skin of an Argosy trailer is totally Airstream. I would say that it is the black tank above the floor under the toilet. My gray tank is below the floor, insulated with foam, and the whole deal cased with galvanized steel. Heat ducting to the tanks is standard Airstream issue. My water tank is under the gaucho in front.

Note the Argosy orange and a certain shade of blue on this picture of the badge placed next to the entry door:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy Badge.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	14288  
Old 08-28-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

on a 1977 argosy 27 footer I looked at for a friend the univolt was located in bath next to the switch box if I can reduce a picture I will post it.
OakHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The 3rd to the last picture at argosytrailer.com for the 1979 27-footers shows this. This is at the back of trailer -- roadside. Note the open lower cupboard and appearance inside -- looks like could even be a corner of the Univolt showing. Note the toilet sitting upon the black tank enclosure. It would be a reach actually working back in this area. They didn't make it any easier for working on mine either...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHill
on a 1977 argosy 27 footer I looked at for a friend the univolt was located in bath next to the switch box if I can reduce a picture I will post it.
Yes, that is the tiny compartment I refered to. It should be in with the breaker box.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

and here is the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77 argosy univolt.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	14289  
OakHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHill
and here is the picture
Let's see if I can turn it for those of us with permanent cricks in their necks:
Attached Images