Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
Rivet Extraordinaire

Re: Electric Monitoring System

Someone mentioned EMS in another thread. I asked this question about it but never heard back about it:

It sounds very useful and convenient. How much is it? How hard or difficult is it to install? I'm not big on things you have to permanently install and then give it away when you sell. Can you get readings on the draw from your battery? My thinking was to get a clamp-on multimeter. I think you can get readings right off the shore line. I don't know how you would be able to get readings of the draw from your battery. They're cheap enough ($20 to $30) but rather cumbersome to work with. EMS sounds more elegant.

1991 60th Anniversary Limited 34' - w/out Hensley ;O)
1991 F250 diesel 4x4 - (retired farm truck/beast)

"It's a good feeling to be long."
joossens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-loca....htm?E+scstore
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufac...ce/link_10.htm
Old 05-16-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Extraordinaire

All I can say is

1991 60th Anniversary Limited 34' - w/out Hensley ;O)
1991 F250 diesel 4x4 - (retired farm truck/beast)

"It's a good feeling to be long."
joossens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:07 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Ems

Mike,

I sent you an email regarding the EMS I installed from Progressive Industries.

Mark
Old 05-18-2004, 07:27 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Ems

Mike,

I found this link to Progressive industries

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/EMSHW30C.asp

This is the box that I installed.

Mark
Old 05-18-2004, 08:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Hey Mark..
I like it. I take it the 30 model is 30 amps and 50 is 50 amps. Where is this in the system. I'ld think the line side of the onboard panel. Like shoreline plug ems panel.
Is the montior backlighted. This would be great if the monitor could be intergrate in a controll panel with the Battery monitor appearancewise.
Thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Paul,

On the 30 classic the shore power comes into the trailer on at road side rear. Under the queen bed there is a small access door where the black shore power cable enters a junction box and the romex comes out to the switch panel. I replaced the metel junction box with the EMS box.

The sending unit uses an led type display instead of liquid crystal. The led display is lit all the time the the trailer is plugged into shore power.

I mounted my display above the switch panel over the queen bed in the rear of the trailer.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
EMS update

My son and I went fly fishing over father's day weekend. We went to the Moosehead lake region of Maine and had a great time.

I add this to this post because it's quite primitave up north. I couldn't find any campground with sewer. We did get water and electric. This was a good time to test the power we were receiving.

I can monitor the power coming into my trailer with the cabinet door open to the ac circuit panel. I mounted the EMS moniter unit above the circuit panel. When I plugged in the EMS went to work and was broadcasting Amps, Volts, Cycles, and Error code. The cycles and error codes never changed. However the amps and volts changed. The amps ran from 2 amps to 20 amps and it was at 20 amps when the heat pump was starting up. After starting the heat pump ran at about 15 amps. I purposely kept the hot water heater and the refrigerator on gas.

The volts stayed between 120 and 121 most of the time. However once when I was running the microwave I notice the voltage to be at 109. It stayed there for some time after the microwave was off. and then went back to 120.

The campground had about 35 sites and there were only three units there last weekend.

I read someplace that the ems will shut down the power to the unit if the voltage drops below 104 because at that point we will run into problems with our air conditioners.

I'm happy I installed the EMS system so I have more reliable information on the power being supplied to the trailer.

Mark
Old 08-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall

I found this link to Progressive industries

Progressive Industries is committed to making the RV experience easier

This is the box that I installed.

Mark
Those of you that use this product...how do you like it? It appears to be the way to go if you really want protection. How does this install?
Thanks,
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote