Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2003, 05:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

12V System....Sudden Death! Help, please

The 12V system was working just fine in our 1963 Ambassador....until.....

I removed the light fixtures and repainted them. Each has a 12v and 110 socket for bulbs. I made a diagram of the wiring and carefully re-installed the fixtures. Only, I didn't mark the sockets and I screwed in a 12v bulb in the 110 socket and flipped the switch. But of course, I had it backwards and it blew the bulb. I did this 2 times before I realized it wasn't just the bulb dying a natural death, I had killed it. Then I put my very last 12V bulb in the correct 12v socket and tried it. Nothing! In fact, the whole 12v system is now dead. The water pump was working before and now it's not. The lights worked before and now they don't.

How could putting a 12v bulb into a 110 socket blow my 12v system? That doesn't make sense to me unless the whole thing is tied together somehow.

I figured there must be a fuse box somewhere and under the sink I found a black box with wires coming out of it. It sits right on top of the battery box, but inside the coach. My husband and I are calling that a transformer for lack of what the heck it is.

Could this transformer thing be the problem? Does anyone know what might have happened or what we need to do to reset the system and have it work again? The battery was dead 2 days later and we recharged it and tried connecting the water pump directly to the battery and it works, but when we hook the battery up to the coach, there is nothing. Our original owners manual is very skimpy on helpful information and doesn't even show this animal in the diagrams. My husband also tells me he found another black box nearby this first one, but I haven't seen it yet myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-13-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Check'em

Alan and Mardel

Check your circuit breaker box, it may have tripped..If you have a fused panel, check each one of the fuse as well for an open..

If you have a volt-ohm meter, you can check for 120 VAC and 12VDC at the wall outlet ..(You should have aleast one or two 12VDC socket in your unit)
Be very careful or you'll end up looking like JohnHD..lol

Again, be very careful...Good luck.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:57 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Checked the breaker box...

Yep, that's the first thing I checked and all was well. The 110 works fine.....the 12v is dead.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:48 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Check the fuses in the fuse panel. You may have shorted a wire to ground in the R&R of the lights. The dead battery hints that that is the case and it could have blown a fuse. The 12 volt fuse panel will be a separate panel from the 120 volt one. Depending on the unit you may have a fuse for both the 12 volt positive and negative wires.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

This does not look good.
I would start by:
DISCONNECT 120V LINE! You may have crossed the wires some place else also.

DISCONNECT ALL OF THE WIRES YOU ORIGINALLY RECONNECTED.

Take a 12 V test lamp., and starting at the fully charged battery,
follow the + cable and check for voltage going in at the first connection, which is probably your converter if you have one.

If you have a converter, check for voltage coming out of the converter, which would be the 12V fuse panel.

Report your findings, and we will take it from there.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Be very careful or you'll end up looking like JohnHD..lol

ha ha very funny flying cloud!

alan and mardel,

first, welcome to the forum fellow cheese heads!

second, follow the advice given. i personally agree with brett, you most likely have a blown fuse somewhere, you just haven't located it yet. remember there will be a positive AND negitive fuse.

check for the condition of both. the negitive fuse is usually by itself outside of the main 12 volt fuse panel. follow the black wire out of the "transformer" and you will find it. (it is commonly refeered to as a "univolt" here)

do not rely on the condition of the fuses by visual inspection. they have a habit of going open and still "looking good".

check EVERY one with a ohm meter!

once you have 12 volts out of the univolt, retracing your steps at the fixtures is a good idea!

john

flying cloud, did you mean looking like this?.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	4097  
Old 12-13-2003, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up lol..

Hey JohnHD
You got it~
I just couldn't resist the push..

Pick
I agree completely..Sad to say, I once ran "realplayer" thru my registry detective process..
I was amazed at the level of intrusion~
It seemed to be into everything..
I still want to see the pictures etc..

ciao..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v