Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
problems with battery disconnect

I'm having a strange issue with my battery disconnect switch that I was hoping would sound familiar to someone. Here are the general things that happened:

1. Had Airstream (2019 28' Flying Cloud) plugged in to shore power with battery disconnect switch in "store" position for about 2 weeks. No one was using the trailer, just had it plugged in to charge the batteries.
2. When I attempted to turn switch to "use", I heard the standard click and the light came on, but it immediately faded out. There was no power to the trailer.
3. I attempted the above a couple of additional times, with same result
4. Next, I held the switch in "use" position for 4 or 5 seconds before letting go. This time the light stayed on and I had power, but only for about 2 minutes. It went out again at that point.
5. Tried the above again for a second time, and everything seemed to work this time (light stayed on, with power to trailer)
6. After an hour or so with continuous power, tried the turning the disconnect switch off an on again. Seems to be working fine at this point.

So although things seem like they are ok now, I'm taking a trip and a bit hesitant about losing power in 105F summer heat.

I had to replace battery disconnect solenoid about 6 months ago, but I assume this is something different. In that case, I wasn't able to hear the click. Also, that just impacted by ability to utilize the battery (trailer could still be powered from shore power).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
streamer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How is *your* use/store switch wired? Some examples are wired so that the charger is not connected in the "store" position.

Since the switch is *not* a "battery disconnect", regardless of its position, the batteries will go flat if the charger is not running. If this happens when you are plugged in, the converter might be broke or a breaker could be tripped. It could also be a fuse.

A multimeter is your friend in this case. Measure the voltage at the battery terminals when shore power is unplugged. It will be something less than 12.8V and (hopefully !!!) above 12V. If it is down around 10V, you will have trouble operating things.

Next plug into shore power. If the converter is working, the voltage on the battery should go up from wherever you read with no shore power. After 24 hours plugged in, the battery terminals should be up above 13V.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote