Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Hey Stargirl!

I dunno about the whole "smart Airstream" thing. The more effort you put into installing marginally useful doo-dads, the more time you will spend trying to fix them when they inevitably go wrong. Most of this stuff wasn't designed for the harsh environment of temperature and motion extremes that exist in RVs.

Remember, "The Price of Recreation is Eternal Maintenance"

Lighting-wise, I'm a fan of the 12V LED pucks, myself. There are two types of lights necessary in your Airstream- overall dispersion and focused task lighting. I don't think that having all of those down lights in the center area is going to do much, that's where some dispersion lights (like the stock ceiling lights) should be. The pucks are good for over the galley countertop and stove, and larger downlights work well over the dinner table. You can also get good dispersion by aiming a downlight up, and firing it across the curved wall/ceiling. Very dramatic! Being able to turn on a few small lights uses far less power than always turning on the big ones.

I like these round toggle switches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You just drill a 3/4" hole, rather than try to make perfect little square holes. Use stranded wire that's both color-coded and labeled at both ends.

My yachty friend, Capt. Z, sent me a link for a battery monitor that looks good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Howdy and welcome in. Very good suggestions here so far. Here are a couple more.

Electrical panels, I prefer Progressive Dynamics 30A combo AC/DC panels.
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/ac...0-amp-120-vac/

Wire and connectors, If you can afford marine wire, use it. It has more strands of pure copper and is more flexible it also has better insulation. It was designed to perform under more abusive conditions than regular cables/wire.
All connectors should be crimp style with shrink fit tubing.

In wet conditions (under the sub-floor) like the electric brakes, tank sensors, 7-pin umbilical connector box, etc. Use the water proof crimp connectors and water tight shrink fit tube. Then wrap that in (not standard vinyl) 3M 2155 Rubber Splice Tape.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote