Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Battery short

OK, let’s get this out of the way. I’m an idiot. After finishing a nice service visit I brought my rig (2016 FC RTB) back to the storage lot. It’s Pennsylvania, its freezing out, so I’m in a hurry to get the batteries out so I can take them home and put them back on their smart chargers. While I have a rachet on the negative terminal on the streetside battery, I touched the positive positive side with the rachet. Nice spark shot out of the positive terminal.
The only thing working now is the jack. When I press the use/store button to use, the red light comes on and then goes out.
Checked every fuse and they are all good. Any ideas before I head back to service?
Thanks you guys!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
from your manual

If any 12-volt appliance fails to operate, rst check your 12-volt distribution fuse block, located behind the decorative front door in the front right-hand corner of the converter and inspect all fuses If a fuse is opened or blown, replace it with the same size fuse (never install a larger use) If the fuse opens again, have an electrician or certi ed RV technician locate the circuit trouble Replace blown fuses only with the same type and amperage size previously used
If the 8300 series power converter is not working, rst con rm the RV supply or shoreline cord is plugged into a live circuit Then check all the 120-volt breakers in your RV distribution panel to make sure they are on If the breaker is tripped, follow the instructions to reset the breakers If the breaker trips again, consult an electrician or certi ed RV technician.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
OK, let’s get this out of the way. I’m an idiot. After finishing a nice service visit I brought my rig (2016 FC RTB) back to the storage lot. It’s Pennsylvania, its freezing out, so I’m in a hurry to get the batteries out so I can take them home and put them back on their smart chargers. While I have a rachet on the negative terminal on the streetside battery, I touched the positive positive side with the rachet. Nice spark shot out of the positive terminal.
The only thing working now is the jack. When I press the use/store button to use, the red light comes on and then goes out.
Checked every fuse and they are all good. Any ideas before I head back to service?
Thanks you guys!
Make some measurements, do you have 12V at the fuses?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
One would assume you were removing the battery cables.
Did you tighten the connections before using the tongue jack? If not you may be getting a voltage drop.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Not all 12V breakers are auto-resetting. Some are trip-and-hold, which you have to entirely disconnect 12V power for the to restore service. Others are manual reset with a button you have to press on one of the narrow ends. I'm sure that, like everything with an Airstream, you could have any combination of the 3 breakers based on the mood of the installer that day or the season...
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Yet another unresolved thread.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Ok here we go. I’m the OP. So I’m reinstalling the batteries (being very careful this time) to get ready to bring the trailer to the dealer to trouble shoot this issue. Everything now reconnected, I go inside the trailer, move the switch to use, and now every 12 volt item in the trailer works.
Since I was already started on the task, I took it to the dealer anyway. The rep that took me in wasn’t sure how this happened, but they are going to troubleshoot it anyway.

So the question is, there is obviously something in the 12 volt system that resets itself after a short. Question is, what is it? Maybe Airstream can chime in on this one.

In any case, if you do something dumb like I did while working on the batteries, wait awhile and see if the system starts working again. In any case, I will update after I get the rig back from the dealer.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
So after I get the rig back from the dealer, they tell me they can’t find a thing wrong with the electrical system. Oh well. Just hope it doesn’t come back later and bite me in the butt.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
So after I get the rig back from the dealer, they tell me they can’t find a thing wrong with the electrical system. Oh well. Just hope it doesn’t come back later and bite me in the butt.
My guess is that you tripped a breaker and that they are resettable. When you switched from USE to STORE and then back again, you reset the breakers.

NOTE: This is a complete guess. I don't know the first thing that I'm talking about!
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote