Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
A/C start-up w/ soft start

To those that have installed soft start, Easy Start, etc to their a/c, is there a very noticeable audible difference in the way the unit starts after the install? I'm curious because the Penguin II (1350W) on our 2018 23FB seems to gently ramp up to speed in three or four seconds, there is no audible "clunk" with an instant turn-on.

Having followed another thread I was hopeful that our unit may already be equipped with soft start, so I went up top and popped the cover, but there is no device visible, aside from the squirrel cage and I guess the compressor, which is encased in foam insulation. I did not remove this to see if anything else was in there.

Just want to be sure we are not so equipped before purchasing the Easy Start. Could I simply try running it from our Honda E2000 and see what happens or could this cause damage?
Thanks.
Pimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
To those that have installed soft start, Easy Start, etc to their a/c, is there a very noticeable audible difference in the way the unit starts after the install? I'm curious because the Penguin II (1350W) on our 2018 23FB seems to gently ramp up to speed in three or four seconds, there is no audible "clunk" with an instant turn-on.

Having followed another thread I was hopeful that our unit may already be equipped with soft start, so I went up top and popped the cover, but there is no device visible, aside from the squirrel cage and I guess the compressor, which is encased in foam insulation. I did not remove this to see if anything else was in there.

Just want to be sure we are not so equipped before purchasing the Easy Start. Could I simply try running it from our Honda E2000 and see what happens or could this cause damage?
Thanks.
If it were there it would be a box located by the copper tubing toward the front side of the unit.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My Easy start reduced the starting thump a good bit on the trailer I installed it on. My other trailer has a 3 year old AC that just does not make as loud a thump.

If you do try the generator first without adding the Easy start I would suggest using a EMS with the generator to check voltage and amperage draw. That way you will actually know something when you finish the test. I know of people who have run the AC without the Easy start by turning the compressor to full cold so that once it starts it does not stop and restart.

Have you contacted Easy Start directly with your specific questions? They seem to respond well to this type of question.

My thought is that an Easy Start is more than just a soft start capacitor. Your unit could have a bigger capacitor and not the equivalent of the Easy Start. But that is a pure guess.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
a/c start-up w/ soft start

Your 2018 penguin II 13.5k did not come from the factory with a software-based regulated current soft starter. Penguin units to this day are not being shipped with these devices (dometic label their after market unit the “SmartStart”.)

If you had one from the factory it would look like the attached picture, and would be located within the upper unit under the shroud, but you don’t because dometic are not installing these at the factory on penguin RV units.

That gentleman in the other thread was incorrect in that he thought his replacement penguin unit had one from the factory. It did not.

If you have an ammeter you can throw it on the line to the compressor and watch the amperage spike on startup.

MicroAir has all the intel on this - they have great service if you give them a ring or email Matteo.

Trying to run the 13.5k on the eu2000 generator will not harm the unit. Will most likely stall out the genset on startup though.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	368860  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Softer is quieter

Just installed our Soft Start on Wednesday. Yes it is quieter. No thump.

As to seeing only a large piece of foam when you took the cowling off, there are some models that seem to have another cover made if black foam. One YouTube video shows it and the guy pulls it off to get to the guts.
Davidwantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwantz View Post
Just installed our Soft Start on Wednesday. Yes it is quieter. No thump.
This is one of the reasons I thought ours might already have been fitted with a soft start - there is no thump, just a gradual ramp up.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Pros & cons to running on Honda generator(s)

What are the pros and/or cons of running our standard Airstreams with companion Honda 2200i(s)? Seems to be some campers who must have the Easy Start and others who don’t, why? Any harm in doing so without an Easy Start?

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have been running my front 13,500 btu A/C with MircoAir, on my Yamaha 3,000 with no issues. I am getting a larger Yamaha 6300 so I can easily run two A/Cs at a time. Running two on the present Yamaha 3000 could be done with no other loads, but it is marginal, even at low elevation. I think for the best all around performance a little more wattage is the way to go. Then you don't have sweat performance at higher altitudes and more loads than just the A/Cs. See the Classifieds for EF3000iesb that is for sale.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Pop & Mimms,
“Ramping up” is subjective, without measurements. I suggest you attach an ammeter and watch the readings as the compressor kicks in. I recently saw 2100 W starting and 1700 W running on our trailer A/C.
Alternately, you can run on the Honda and observe how much it slows/lugs/struggles as the A/C kicks in. Try this without other electrical loads, especially any that are voltage sensitive. I agree with Wulfraat that you are not likely to harm the generator - it has overload protection. We had an SOB with a 10.5 (I think) A/C that ran OK on a EU2000 after the last hurricane. Some voltage dip, but it got us through four days without power.
Micro-Air has a nice installation video that will provide you the confidence to know what you are looking at under the cover.
I have looked at the Dometic site for a “same brand” option - they push the Smartstart for marine applications, notsomuch RV’s. Our dealer informed us the 2021 Dometic A/C’s do NOT have Smartstart. I highly doubt Airstream would spring for a $300 upcharge without promoting the advantages.
- Don
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
No more thump on startup.

Installed the EasyStart on my 15k btu unit and start it with a Honda 2200 without any difficulty. Very smooth gradual startup. Run the generator with the propane adapter.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Love it!

The Micro-Air unit I bought three years ago works well. I can run the AC off a single Honda 2000 or if more demands are needed in the trailer I can parallel two of them. It not only allows a safe ramp up AC start but will also time out or watch for bad voltage or something wrong at the pole.

I am a huge supporter or Micro- Air the company and Matteo. He’s still in the background. It’s only my opinion but I admire how they engineered the original, improved it and support the end user.

Soft Start aghhhhh were did you come from? I know but will not comment.

Quote:

Thanks.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Sewickley , Pennsylvania
I have an International with two A/C units...would I need two EasyStarts?
Ridge1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge1960 View Post
I have an International with two A/C units...would I need two EasyStarts?
If you install on both, you can run both on 30 amp service. So, you don't "need" to install on both, but that's the advantage you get. Plus, some here feel having an Easy Start will give you better longevity from your A/C, but there is no way to really know that will be the case.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I would not be surprised if your 3000w generator will run 2 a/c units with Micro Air 364 installed in both. I can run a 13.5K with a Honda 2000w. A 4000w certainly should run everything, just not all at the same moment.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #15
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:

Thanks.
I have a new Classic and had easy starts installed on both units. The techs that installed them explained how the devices work in conjunction with the climate sensors and fan speeds. When the A/C starts, the fan starts at the speed it deems necessary to begin the cooling process. The fan starts first and maybe after 5-10 seconds the compressor activates. Once the A/C gets within 3-6 degrees of the desired temp the fan speed begins to reduce. Once the temp is achieved, the A/C unit shuts down. This has been my experience. I have not powered my A/C unit yet with my Honda Eu3000i yet. Hope this helps.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
Concur with statements about Micro-air. I run my a/c with a 2000 Yamaha with no problems.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Beware the Yamaha. I was one of the early adopters of the Easy Start and my Yamaha 2K would not run the A/C. Matteo did some testing and the Honda 2K would, but not the Yamaha. The newer Yamaha is OK, but not the older 2K. The voltage simply collapsed on the Yamaha, the Honda just kept running. Of course the 2200 gives you a little more margin, now.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
Agree with others that the startup has less noise and vibration after installing the EZ Start. It runs comfortably on the 2200 generator, but the startup spike was always the issue, not the running consumption.
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I hope this hasn't been said already - I didn't read all the comments - Connect a proper voltage meter to your AC breaker and see how many amps you're pulling when the AC starts up. That will tell you a lot. The other option is to ask who you bought it from if you have an easy start and where to locate it on your unit.
memph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Guilford , Connecticut
Update from OP

I placed the order for an Easy Start from Micro Air today. We had a seasonal site here in CT, but nothing has yet opened - pool, public restrooms, children's play area, etc. We were able to get a prorated refund and made the decision to bring the Airstream back home for the summer and tackle projects on it instead, hoping we can go out again in the fall.