Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Titusville , NJ
Dometic Heat Pump Dripping Water through Ceiling Grill

The Dometic heat pump on our ten year old AS FC 23 works great, but is presenting water drippage through the ceiling grill of the unit after about 16 hours of operation (Photo 1). I ran a many hour test with the thermostat at 55F and first noticed water accumulating at the curb side’s rooftop mounting flange (Photo 2), and later on the street side as well, with minor streams of water running down the sides of the airstream in a few locations. I assume that the rooftop water accumulation is slowly making its way through the gasket of the unit (?). As for the water accumulating in the roof, there is a drainage tube in the front street side wheel well that was dripping water (Photo 3) which I assume is intended to drain condensate from the heat pump(?). If this is the case and the tube is partially clogged, it might explain the water accumulation on the roof. We bought the AS four years ago, barely used, and I assume the gasket has never been replaced.
Questions:
1) Should water be accumulating on the roof?
2) Could clogging of the drainage tube explain this?
3) Could leaking of the gasket explain the waiter drios through the inside grill?
4) Should I just have the whole unit replaced, or pay to have the gasket replaced and the drainage tube cleared out?
On an aside, the unit had just been serviced at our local AS dealership before our last trip, when we noticed the leakage. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	425058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	425059  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	425060  
cfrench58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
First are you running it as heat pump or AC(heating or cooling trailer)?

When heating water is supposed to go onto roof.
When cooling water is supposed to go through the drain tube.
A partially clogged tube can cause dripping inside.
I'm not sure when Airstream switched from drip pan to drip cups, either one could crack and cause the dripping inside also.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Titusville , NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
First are you running it as heat pump or AC(heating or cooling trailer)?

When heating water is supposed to go onto roof.
When cooling water is supposed to go through the drain tube.
A partially clogged tube can cause dripping inside.
I'm not sure when Airstream switched from drip pan to drip cups, either one could crack and cause the dripping inside also.
Sorry about that - we are experiencing this using the cooling mode.
cfrench58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrench58 View Post
Sorry about that - we are experiencing this using the cooling mode.
Then water should not be going onto the roof. So possibly a partially clogged drain tube, cracked condensate collection device (tray or cups) or if your trailer has drip cups they could just need to be adjusted. The gasket is actually not that common to start leaking into trailer especially if only when using AC. Also note if you have drip cups you should have a double gasket (2 gaskets stacked) to make room for the drip cups.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote