Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Delano , Minnesota
1960 Safari Wiring

I brought home a 60 Safari yesterday and started going through the systems. I have 110 electricity to the left side of the trailer and had the exterior light near the door on the right side working as well. Then I tried a light inside the door and thought I heard a fuse blow. Now the left side lights work but not the exterior light. None of the right side outlets work nor do the lights in the bathroom at the back of the trailer.

I found a single fuse holder mounted in the right radiius. There are also two black wires protruding from the wall that were taped of, apparently a long time ago,

I haven't even looked at the 12V options yet.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to begin my troubleshooting? Is the furnace operation dependent on having electrical? I would think so.

Paul
prhamilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
The old style furnaces did not need electrical. The newer ones, after late 60s, I think, have blowers and require 12V.

Where to start looking--figure out which things are 115V and which are 12V, then start looking. The outside light, in my experience, is 12V.

Zep
Old 12-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums Paul. Congratulations on your Safari, aren't the 1960 trailers cool. The fuse block you are talking about should be part of the 12V system. My fuse block is under the gaucho to the right of the window. Your 110 should be wired through a circuit breaker box usually found interior to the electrical hookup. Mine is under the curbside twin behind the wheel well. I have two 20 amp circuits and have found each breaker pretty much controls one or the other side of the trailer. Here are pics.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Block.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	30060 Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit Breaker Box.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	30061
This may help with a starting point. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but my words about electrical are worth little. My knowledge base is limited. Unless someone has updated or modified, our trailers were before the age of Univolts, converters. Each liight fixture in mine has a two switches each to a 110 and a 12V light. My furnace has a blower with a switch for either 110 or 12V power.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Dacia is correct paul on her info and the photos give an idea as to what you have .The 110 breakers on my 60 are in the rear curbside as mine has the
rear trunk or compartment and its on the back lower wall inside the door
on the curbside .You should also find an electrical transformer near the furnace behind it under the cabinet area ,mine is under the oven as there is a small door below the oven and the transfomer is againts the wall streetside.
It is for the blower motor that blows your heat into the coach and back to
the rear bath .Zep is right ,no electrical for the furnace but the transformer
and 110 to run the furnace blower .You may have a different furnace layout
than my trdwnd ,so the location of things might be different .In Dacias photo
you can see just a glimps of the top of the grover air pump for your water tank pressure .Usually you have that double ceramic fuse holder for the 12vlt
circuits .There is a single inline fuse holder for the Grover pump (black wire)
with the green being a ground as shown in the photo.your front battery
wiring comes thru the wall to the fuse holder mounted on the radius .
Can you post some photos of your setup there so we can see the wires
that are there ? In addition to the trailer as well ? Love photos !!sounds like you do have a short someplace.there is also a wall switch that controls shore power and 12volt for the heater blower near the furnace.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Delano , Minnesota
Thanbk you to all. I did find the breaker box, it's located on the back wall of the trailer, inside the rear storage compartment. I almost had to climb inside to see it and with the spare tire bracket in place it is impossible to see.

I began looking at the wiring harness between the tow vehicle and the AS and it needed to be replaced. All the lights worked though so I'm a step ahead on that count. Or I was. I had to remove the receptacle from the AS as the male plug was rusted in place. I know the trailer hadn;t been used in over ten years so I'm guessing it had been in place at least that long.

In the process of removing all of this the wiring has been messed up. THere are four light gauge red wires and a pair of larger gauge wires, green and yellow. Are the larger wires to a set of breaks? Can anyone help with wiring this up to the 7 pin system on my truck?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
prhamilt,

I'd be glad to give you a hand. When is a good time?

Have you taken the wheels off and inspected the brakes yet?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Delano , Minnesota
Thanks for the Offer

Markdoane,

I sent and email but thought I would post as well.

I haven't had the wheels off yet, may do so tomorrow. I towed the vehicle home with a Chev. Avalanche and didn't attempt to use the trailer wiring for the short trip.

I'm going to try another wiring confiuration tomorrow.

Paul
Old 12-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Paul,

Didn't get your email, maybe I entered it wrong in the CP after the recent switch from TWC to Comcast.

Question about the brakes is because I think the yellow wire is the brakes, you can tell by looking at the back of the brake backing plate. You may need to scrape some mud and dirt off.

I don't recall seeing a green wire on my '59. I had a wire coming from the battery box, and all the power wiring was brown wire (painted white in most places). The little skinny red wires you already know about.

It's possible the original plug was a six-way. The charging line from the tow vehicle was a separate 2-wire cord that plugs into the front corner near where your fuses are located.

If you want some help, give me a holler. I will send you a PM with my new email address.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
If you have the original warranty on the back of one of the closet doors, it may have the wiring colors defined. Most of the ones I've seen do at least.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags