Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
aloha , Oregon
1 of 3-12 volt sockets getting only 12.16 volts?

I own a 2007 Basecamp. I have 3 12V sockets and just starting this trip, 1 is only getting 12.16 volts unlike the others which are getting battery power. The one I am having troubles with is up by the stereo in the front. I usually plugged my volt meter into this to get an accurate reading of my battery life, but obviously this isn't working.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? It isn't the socket because I unpluged the wiring harness to it and tested the wires up to that point and they are only supplying 12.16 now. Do I have a short? Floating ground? Broken wire? Any suggestions would be great on how to test for this. Thanks!

Robert
squashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There's high resistance somewhere. With your volt meter on the hot wire (disconnected) and the negative meter wire to a known good ground you only had 12.16? If so chase the hot wire and look for a bad connection.

What does the ohmmeter say on the ground side?

Edit: Often, due to the lack of wiring diagrams and difficulty with disassembly of...whatever to find the issue, you may just want to run a new wire to the socket and tape off the offending wire. Make sure you use an adequately rated circuit, or better yet, fish a new wire from the fuse block.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
When you see the 12.16 volts are there any lights or other 12 volt loads nearby on the same wiring? If there is that much voltage drop on the socket with no other loads (except the meter), I'd be surprised if the socket worked at all when under any reasonable load.

What I'm getting at is the socket simply may be inappropriate for voltage measurements provided there are 12 volt loads on the line causing drop.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt