Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Henderson , Nevada
Talking We bought a Bambi - SO EXCITED !!!

My wife and I have been considering a purchase of a travel trailer for some time now. After lots of research, we drove to CA (our nearest AS dealer) and pulled the trigger on a 2013 Bambi sport!! I was blown away by the quality and attention to detail!!! Speechless, really. We are first timers on all of this and are nervous and excited !!!! We take delivery of our new Bambi in a few days.

Question we have for more experienced pros:

Does anyone have a list of "must haves" that makes life easier (trying to shorten my learning curve and save money from buying wasted, unnecessary products!)

YouTube helps a lot ! Been watching a lot of videos !!

Thanks and I am proud to be a new member !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	623.0 KB
ID:	185616  
Arob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Hopefully the dealer threw in a few extras like hoses and a sewer hose, but this is what I carry.
Two 25' water lines, sewer hose (Rhinoflex), Camco collapsable sewer hose support, water filter, 90 hose fitting, 15' black water flush hose and one way fitting, 30 amp extension cord with 30amp female to 15 male amp adapter and 30 amp male to 15 amp female adapter, funnel with long extension for filling water tank ( need a better solution ), high pressure water heater flusher, Lynx leveling blocks, wheel chocks, torpedo leveler for test trailer level, patio carpet, some nice reclining chairs (check Costco), folding aluminum table, small folding plastic end table, small propane BBQ (O'Grill), BBQ tools, 5 lb propane tank for BBQ and other small propane device, small Coleman propane stove, small tool set, cordless impact driver for stabilizer jacks. Some patio lights. 50qt ice chest for beverages and water. Fridge is for food.

A notepad so when you find a problem that needs fixing you can write it down or something else you need to buy.

That should get you started.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Henderson , Nevada
Thank you so much !!! Exactly what I was looking to hear !!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Congratulations and welcome!
A few other items for consideration;
A small tool bag with tools you find handy around your home; torque wrench for checking lug nuts every 500 miles or so (if you have alum wheels); hitchin' sticks unless you have a backup camera on your t.V.; small 110v or 12 v air compressor; generator; synthetic ground cover and an outside door mat.
Have fun on delivery day and then get out there and go camping for the real fun!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
AAd on tire covers for when you are not on the road and as I just purchased...a bottle jack. I own a 19'bambi, we both have single axels, so would need a bottle jack. I also found the correct place to use the jack( apparently not the recommended jack placement in the instruction manuel) i took a black marker and noted that on the bottle jack carrying case.

You might want chemicals too, I use blue, and a grey tank deorderizer, along wirh a toilet paper digester. I think you tanks might be combined, sgo check with your dealer.

Enjoy, have fun and welcome. We just got back and it is still a learning curve for us. Pretty funny actually watching us figure out the rain sensor fan.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats Arob!!!

Can't add much to what's already been said except obviously an appropriate tow vehicle and hitch setup, and a zen-like sense of humor for all the stuff you're only going to learn by mistake :-)

Enjoy!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
yes, enjoy and welcome
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
To help carry all the essential supplies....

...another A/S a few feet longer....
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Welcome, all above good advise, don't forget your tire gauge, best quality available. Gloves are essential, kneepads are nice for the gravel and grassburrs, don't forget grease for your hitch. You'll eventually get your list personalized.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I find that a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) adds some peace of mind to help warn that trouble might be brewing back there before leading to a major problem.'

I think I would consider it even more desirable with a single axle setup.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
New Bern , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arob View Post
My wife and I have been considering a purchase of a travel trailer for some time now. After lots of research, we drove to CA (our nearest AS dealer) and pulled the trigger on a 2013 Bambi sport!! I was blown away by the quality and attention to detail!!! Speechless, really. We are first timers on all of this and are nervous and excited !!!! We take delivery of our new Bambi in a few days.

Question we have for more experienced pros:

Does anyone have a list of "must haves" that makes life easier (trying to shorten my learning curve and save money from buying wasted, unnecessary products!)

YouTube helps a lot ! Been watching a lot of videos !!

Thanks and I am proud to be a new member !!
Awesome!
Dyoung59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Staten Island , New York
Smile

Arob good luck and congratulations with your new Bambi Sport we are looking at the same one. What are you using as a tow vehicle.
AnnaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We have a Bambi 19' hauled by a mid-sized SUV and we use it mostly for "Road Trips" - most of our camping would be less than 3 nights in one spot - usually use Provincial, State or National Parks - electricity is often our only "hook-up" - often there are no hook-ups).

Our "Road Trip" mode carries only the basics:

Trailer necessities: 4 25' extension cords, 2 25' drinking water hoses, 20 foot sewer line w' connections, 2 pair wheel chocks, 2 2X8 (2 ft and 3 ft) 1 1X6 (2ft) stored in bumper, transmission funnel (for filling water tank), disposable rubber gloves, black/grey water treatment.

Just in Case stuff: bottle jack, 4-way wheel wrench, fuses and bulbs (your manual should have a list), well stocked tool box, 4 ft section of iron water pipe (goes with your 4-way wheel wrench and makes changing a tire a ton easier - stored in bumper), well stocked 1st aid kit.

Outdoor stuff: 2 burner propane stove (smallish) + portable propane tank, compact BBQ (briquets + starter), dish pan, 2 folding chairs, folding table (very small), axe, small rubber mat for in front of the door, folding step stool, bug dope.

Indoor stuff: not my department ......

Boondocking stuff: 1000W generator + fuel, dining shelter (depending on time of year - bugs, temperature, forecast etc).

This is the list that we have developed over 10 years of road trips - I'm gonna suggest that you don't get too excited about buying everything right away - just cherry pick the stuff you absolutely know you will need (not want) to start - then grow your own list over time based on how you find yourself using the trailer.

Enjoy your trailer (it'll be hard not to ....)

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Henderson , Nevada
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
Congratulations and welcome!
A few other items for consideration;
A small tool bag with tools you find handy around your home; torque wrench for checking lug nuts every 500 miles or so (if you have alum wheels); hitchin' sticks unless you have a backup camera on your t.V.; small 110v or 12 v air compressor; generator; synthetic ground cover and an outside door mat.
Have fun on delivery day and then get out there and go camping for the real fun!
Thank you so much ! After reading all of the suggestions, I realized my wife will have to stay home - NO SPACE Available left!!

Kidding of course !!

Thanks for all the suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	185639  
Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Sense of humor. The first few times you try backing it into a spot, the driver will decide that the guide is insane and vice versa. Sometimes you may detect your temper rising a mite. Same with hitching up. You will find what works for you.

Stop. Stretch, laugh. Try again. It's camping -- no one is keeping score. Take your time.

Most of all, get out and put some nights aboard.

Welcome to the Forum.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Congratulations and welcome aboard ... you have a great adventure ahead of you!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Enjoy, and Happy Camping!

My suggestion on what "extra's" to have.... take a little shake down trip, maybe only a few miles away overnight and make a list of what you wish you had brought, or what you wish you would have left home! After about a year of traveling you will likely generate two lists (either written or mental) one for short weekend jaunts and the other for extended trips...

Enjoy!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Congratulations! I know how excited you must be! Caddygreen has some good advice. Just take it out and start using it and your needs will fall into place. Talk to other campers nearby for advice. Make yourself a travel checklist for such things as what to bring, and the steps you need to go through to secure the Bambi for travel. My checklist is securely implanted in whats left of my mind, and my lovely wife double checks everything for me! More importantly, go slow and have fun with it!

On a side note, the Sport does not have rock guards. I'm not sure what you are towing with, but in the future, you may consider some mud/rock flaps for your TV. Traveling on a freshly chip sealed road can put some nasty dings in that beautiful aluminum!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
Welcome Arob. I am a newbie, too. We brought our Bambi Flying Cloud home in February and already have 1,500 miles on it. We are now at the point of leaving some stuff behind we don't need, make a list every trip of things we need to add. Learning curve on making sure drawers and doors (especially refrigerator!) are closed properly before heading down the road.

Have fun!
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Congrats! I have the 2012 version of that same AS and love it! You are wise to get some tips. A close by shake down trip is a good idea. It will help you know what you must have. It is a well designed small trailer and space is at a premium. One change I made was to remove the table and put in a small plastic table I got at Costco. Opens up the room inside greatly. Only downside is you don't have that extra bed. But letting someone sleep there is VERY crowded.

Be sure to check out how well everything works. You have 2 years to get warranty repairs. I had problems with my refrigerator and the water/electrical monitor. Found a good place that did only Airstream repairs. They took care of contacting Airstream, fixed the problems with no out of pocket from me whatsoever.

Read through the owners manual and the Newbies guide that should have come with your unit. Use your bathroom and get familiar with how to drain/clean it, etc. I use the Sewer Solution. Very clean and easy to use. Fortunately you have that nice outside-accessible storage under the bed, and all those plastic rubbermaid boxes. They come in real handy.

On my very first trip I rented a larger drive-thru space, usually used by large motorhomes. That was great. I just drove into it with no backing up. Saved that learned curve for later. I am still learning how to properly back up.

Anyway, enjoy! You have a lot of new things to experience. This weekend will be my first time dry-camping (no hookups). Up to now I have gone to the beach and Palm Springs several times, with full hookups. Always something new to do.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote