Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
Tickled to here

Hello,

Chick and Kathy here, in Ingram TX. We are not new to Airstream, maybe more like veterans. We worked at Austin/Buda Trailer Sales, an Airstram dealer, in the early 70's. We took our first one, 1969 31 footer to Alaska in 1974. Quite a trip to say the least. We lived in "Anchors Aweigh" the name the previous owner gave it, for almost three years in Soldotna AK. We are very well versed in how to live in an Airstream in the sub Arctic. We did not have electricity and we hauled water for almost two years. We never froze up, yet we did have sheets freeze to the wall, while in bed, shoes freeze to the floor, clothes freeze to the closet walls. The list of freezing items is pretty interesting and pretty long. We sold Anchors Aweigh in '76, babies change things alot.
Our next Airstream,a 1963 Globe Trotter, was used to introduce our daughters to the Airstream world. We kept him for three years and sold him. Once again, the demands of children put the Airstream in background.
Today, kids are gone, Airstreams are back. We bought a '77 Overlander for me to use in a remote location job in South Texas. Bought it last summer and just sold it. It was a purpose trailer - got it for one job, used it and sold it.
We started looking for something smaller. Enter a 1963 Globe Trotter. We went to look it over. We started notice some very strange similarites between this Globe Trotter and the one we owned 20 years ago, a very strange feeling. The floor was kind of like the one we installed. I opened the rear service door to look at the man stuff, valves, pumps and the like. There were some strange looking repairs to water lines. I knew of only one person who could have made those left handed repairs - me! We were looking the very same 'trotter we had owned in the early 80's.
That brings us to now. Refitting and restoring 'Ed' the name for our old, new trailer.
I wish this site had been here 30 years ago, when I really needed some guidance and advice.
But here we are and we are just tickled to here.
ChicknKathy
ChicknKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice tale! Welcome... Post pics if you can, sounds like a cool rig!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
ChicknKathy,

That Globe Trotter must have really loved you to search you out again after all these years. Kind of like an old high school sweetheart.

It was meant to be. Don't fight it. It's karmic.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
What a neat story. It's destiny. Kind of like a lost dog that comes back home after being lost on vacation. Revel in its return and most definately post some pictures.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Great Story! I bet Rich Luhr from Airstream Life would like to hear that one!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote