Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
avon , Indiana
Restoration - move lav?

has anyone relocated the aft lav in an Overlander to the side. I am considering buying a "77" 27' overlander for resroration, with aft lav but I would like to have the bedroom in the rear and move the lav to the side like some of the other models.

Is his possible.
I have always wanted an Airstream but it looks like I will need to start with an older one and do some refurb.

thanks
gordon
gordonmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
anything is possible....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Gordon- Welcome to the forums! if you are gutting the trailer anyway (at least the back 1/2) you can reconfigure it any way you like. I built a queen bed in the back, lengthwise, and still had room for a small bathroom (toilet, shower) next to it. If you would like more info on this possibility, feel free to PM me (click on my user name to find this). On the other hand, if your Overlander is in cherry condition inside, I'd suggest keeping it as-is, or trading it for a model with the aft bedroom from the factory. Either way- have fun! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I prefer a mid-bath, myself. Before you decide, think seriously how you would arrange it and how you'd do the tanks. You can get a good idea of available tanks here The Metal Company Inc.. They are in Denver and are excellent to work with--they'll put fittings any place on a tank, they just won't build custom tank shapes. I think you'll find several that will fit. You'll have to have a full understanding of the frame and cross members in order to think about the holding tanks, which can be inferred from the rivet rows on the belly pan.

I think your biggest problem will be the shower, since it will "drape" over the wheel well. Making a suitable waterproof seat along the wall might take some effort.

I redid the cabinets and sink in my mid-bath Sovereign, but left the shower and toilet alone. You can get an idea of what it might take by following this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...dux-23481.html, particularly how difficult it might be to connect the tank dumps together so that you have only one dump connection. Making two dump outlets would greatly reduce your difficulty. By the way, when I started redoing Airstreams, I had no clue, just 30 years of doing amatuer cabinet making in my garage.

Zep
Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I'm in the process of doing something similar, this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-49720.html has a layout image and some more information incase it helps you.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello, Gordon, and welcome to Airforum, the land of all things Airstream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonmiller View Post
Is his possible.
I have always wanted an Airstream but it looks like I will need to start with an older one and do some refurb.
Here's maybe a dumb question, but that never stops me from asking anyways:

Why would you not just buy a mid-bath trailer to start with? There are lots of them out there with the twin or double beds in the rear, and with mid bath configuration.

Maybe you weren't aware of that, but take your time and look around, you will see they definitely exist.

The following image is from a brochure or ad from 1974 for the Sovereign. I know you're looking at the Overlander, but I'm posting this one just to illustrate my question. In it you will see that within the same shell, they switched things around considerably.

But, whatever you decide to do, stick around and ask questions, if it's Airstream, somebody here will have the answer for you...

Old 04-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
avon , Indiana
Overlander

Thanks for the great info and brochure pics.

What i think I want to do is size down to about 27' for weight purposes and general eas of handling. I had not seen these floor plans in 27 footers. If you know of some do tell....

Thanks again for your time and info.

Great stuff!!!!

gordon
gordonmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I can't swear to it, but I am 99% certain that 27' units have that style, too.. Maybe the Ambassador model?

Side note: it's funny, but I've never heard an owner of a large trailer say that he wished he had a shorter one. However, I have heard the opposite situation though, it's called "2-foot-itis", a grave desire for just another two feet in length...
Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I can't swear to it, but I am 99% certain that 27' units have that style, too.. Maybe the Ambassador model?

Side note: it's funny, but I've never heard an owner of a large trailer say that he wished he had a shorter one. However, I have heard the opposite situation though, it's called "2-foot-itis", a grave desire for just another two feet in length...
I beg to differ... I want 2 foot more and 4 foot more, however I also want 2 foot less, 4 foot less, 6 foot less, and even 10 foot less.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
How to solve the 2-footitis problem: Get a Caravel, Safari, Overlander, and Sovereign... . It works.

Zep
Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
How to solve the 2-footitis problem: Get a Caravel, Safari, Overlander, and Sovereign... . It works.

Zep
Not really. Then you start getting 2-yearitis. I'd love to have one a couple of years older AND a couple of years newer even of the same size.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Relocation of rear bath

Another issue you need to consider when thinking of relocating a bathroom is where the windows are....do you want to end up with a window in your shower? We considered moving our rear bath to the middle in our current renovation of our 68 Ambassador but the windows were not in the best places for that....we eventually decided to keep the rear bath......of course, you can always move windows.....just depends how you want to spend your money and time.....good luck with your choice. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
San Bernardino , California
Mid-Bath models

Airstream made mid-bath units but the majority were rear bath models. During the time when I was looking for a 25-27 foot model(2006-06) only the 34' had rear bed configerations none of the others on the market had them.
Rick N
ricknach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's a link to photos of a 1974 Overlander 27' rear bed:

1974Overlander2